Staal vs. Malkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I'm pretty sure most will say Malkin.
1) Staal gets no love around here
2) 2003 was a very deep draft that had close levels of talent; 2004 had a bit of a dropoff in comparison
3) Being behind Ovechkin is the only reason Malkin went #2... at least that's what quite a few have argued.

As I live in So. Cal, I can only make guesses from what I've read, and I, myself, would take Malkin. Take it for what it's worth, though.

Sticky*

I agree with King's Pawn. Staal doesn't seem to get much love around here, I for one am a very stong supporter of the kid. Because he is so complete and so defensively responsible, at such a young age. People tend to throw him in to the "two-way player" mold. Which isn't a bad thing, but whenever posters read that they seem to think that it means, is not quite that great offensively.

This kid can flash and dangle with the best of them, and plays a remarkably complete game. He is the type of kid that will win cups with the C on his jersey. He has real combo of talent, and love for the game.

I'd take Staal over Malkin, not because i dont think highly of Malkin, but i've watched Staal since Peterborough, and man, he has developed inot a heck of a player. Reminds me alot of Dany Heatley.

X-SHARKIE

I love Eric Staal and I thought he was the best player in the 2003 draft. I would stick with him....exactly a year ago I came out and said Malkin is the Russian Eric Staal but I don't like what i'm hearing about him wanting to stay in Russia for the big bucks.

I'll take Staal but when it's all said and done, if Malkin comes over (likely) he could be the better player...but I would take Staal if I was a GM.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I love Staaly, before the draft I was hoping the Pens would go for him, but I've been saying for months that Malkin would have gone first in 2003, so I'm not going back on that.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Staal, although it's VERY close IMO. Staal just seems like he'll be just about as good on offense and more responsible on defense. Not saying that Malkin won't be, but Staal seems like he has a better two-way game from what I've seen of both (not too much outside the WJC on Malkin)

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Malkin. Yeah, I'm biased, so what? :D

Staal will be a keeper though. I was pulling for either he or Zherdev in the 03 draft. I was aware of Fleury, but it just didn't occur to me and caught me a bit off guard, I'll admit. After I thought about it though, it made a lot of sense.

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
DaveG said:
Staal, although it's VERY close IMO. Staal just seems like he'll be just about as good on offense and more responsible on defense. Not saying that Malkin won't be, but Staal seems like he has a better two-way game from what I've seen of both (not too much outside the WJC on Malkin)

I would go with Malkin. I think Malkin has tremendous offensive upside and already plays a good 2-way game. Only problem is he still needs to grow into his frame. Staal is def. a keeper though. I just think Malkin will be able to do more offensively and devensively eventually.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Probably Malkin will be a better scorer and will put up many points, but Staal is gonna be a great player too.
Can't go wrong with both IMO.

HughJass*

I can't compare him to Malkin because I haven't seen him play, but I think Staal is going to be a very good player...soon! Not only that, but I think the guyis a winner. I'm going with Staal on this, no matter what.

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
I'd go with Stall safer bet, and what he shohed during the kids games at the all star break just convinced me even more. The kids got GREAT hockey sense :handclap:

mymkovski

Aug 16, 2004
I think in a couple years, Malkin will emerge as the more offensive between the two and Staal will be more of a two-way centre. I see Malkin playing the Russian superstar role of pure offense and Staal playing the Canadian superstar role of responsible leadership-style hockey.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
mymkovski said:
I think in a couple years, Malkin will emerge as the more offensive between the two and Staal will be more of a two-way centre. I see Malkin playing the Russian superstar role of pure offense and Staal playing the Canadian superstar role of responsible leadership-style hockey.

That's pretty much how I see it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad