Staal vs Malkin @ WJC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Staal and his partner Ryan Parent played well against everyone's top line in the tournament. They shut down everyone. Malkin was largely invisible in that game, if that answers your question.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
IMO Team Canada played a great team game against Russia and Malkin was the Canadians focal point. I'm not sure if I've ever seen a player so singled out at that tournament. I like Staal alot but if a single player played great against Malkin in that tourny it was E. Johnson despite the outcome.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Doomsday Device said:
Staal matched up very well. He definitely is a possible shutdown guy in the future. I'll have to disagree about how Johnson matched up though, the game against Russia was definitely his weakest game in the tournament. He was a -3 on the night and was on the ice for both of Malkin's points.
True but thats looking at the game through the stats. He played the body on Malkin very well and stopped him one on one a few times.

As for Staal, I remember watching him last year and thinking that he'll be a very good defenseman but one that always gets underrated. Its hard to explain but he was solid in every area but not very flashy, kind of like Bruce Driver or Ron Greschner. I haven't gotten to watch him this year, with the exception of the WJC, but he seems to be putting up some great numbers. How high end do you guys think he'll be?

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
#66 said:
True but thats looking at the game through the stats. He played the body on Malkin very well and stopped him one on one a few times.

As for Staal, I remember watching him last year and thinking that he'll be a very good defenseman but one that always gets underrated. Its hard to explain but he was solid in every area but not very flashy, kind of like Bruce Driver or Ron Greschner. I haven't gotten to watch him this year, with the exception of the WJC, but he seems to be putting up some great numbers. How high end do you guys think he'll be?

Being a Rangers fan, you'll take the following comments with perhaps a grain or two of salt. I admit I'm hoping for the best, but the fact is I have not seen Marc Staal play yet. Still, I'm reading stories about how this kid is the best defenseman not in the NHL. I mean is that real? I sure hope so. A couple years ago I was hoping against hope we could somehow get Dion Phaneuf. That is the kind of player I thought we needed to begin our rebuild and anchor our back line for the next decade or so. When we got Staal I was shocked that he had dropped that low. I'll admit I was wondering just how that could have happened. But it appears that the brothers share a tendency to not just elevate their game but to explode it to another level. It would seem likely at this point that Staal could well make the Rangers as a 19 year old. Not because they are pushing him, but because he truly deserves it. We caught a huge break getting this kid. I hope that what I'm reading is true, and he's this generations Larry Robinson. With guys like Staal on the back line and Lundqvist and Montoya in goal, the Rangers will be tough to play against far into the future.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Staal and Parent played extremely well. Staal especailly has NHL written all over him. Malkin had one scoring chance early in the game and then one late in the game when it was 5-0. Staal looks to me to be a very good all around defensemen

TheZherdev

Jul 4, 2004
Pizza said:
Being a Rangers fan, you'll take the following comments with perhaps a grain or two of salt. I admit I'm hoping for the best, but the fact is I have not seen Marc Staal play yet. Still, I'm reading stories about how this kid is the best defenseman not in the NHL. I mean is that real? I sure hope so. A couple years ago I was hoping against hope we could somehow get Dion Phaneuf. That is the kind of player I thought we needed to begin our rebuild and anchor our back line for the next decade or so. When we got Staal I was shocked that he had dropped that low. I'll admit I was wondering just how that could have happened. But it appears that the brothers share a tendency to not just elevate their game but to explode it to another level. It would seem likely at this point that Staal could well make the Rangers as a 19 year old. Not because they are pushing him, but because he truly deserves it. We caught a huge break getting this kid. I hope that what I'm reading is true, and he's this generations Larry Robinson. With guys like Staal on the back line and Lundqvist and Montoya in goal, the Rangers will be tough to play against far into the future.

Just drooling over the tyutin and staal pairing in front of lundqvist. :jump:

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Blackburn2727 said:
Just drooling over the tyutin and staal pairing in front of lundqvist. :jump:

I also can't wait to see how Sauer will do. I've seen very little, but the little I have seen was pretty impressive. Good size and skill. Takes the body. Good to very good skater. Saw him recover very well from a give a way and just skate up behind the guy and take the puck back. Very nice play. Raw but a ton of potential. I could see him being asked by the Rangers to go back as an overage so he could get plenty of ice time and as they will have many guys fighting for spots on the Hartford blue line. Then spending a year or so in the AHL after juniors. I think he'll be in MSG by 23, 24 yrs old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad