Staal vs Malkin @ WJC

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Pizza, Feb 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pizza

Pizza Registered User

Would like some honest feed back from those that watched the game. How well did Staal play Malkin in that Gold medal game. Thanks.

2. Pizza

Pizza Registered User

Don't all jump in at once :biglaugh:

3. Macman

Macman Registered User

Staal and his partner Ryan Parent played well against everyone's top line in the tournament. They shut down everyone. Malkin was largely invisible in that game, if that answers your question.

#66 Registered User

Home Page:
    IMO Team Canada played a great team game against Russia and Malkin was the Canadians focal point. I'm not sure if I've ever seen a player so singled out at that tournament. I like Staal alot but if a single player played great against Malkin in that tourny it was E. Johnson despite the outcome.

5. Doomsday Device

Doomsday Device Registered User

Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devic
    Home Page:
    Staal matched up very well. He definitely is a possible shutdown guy in the future. I'll have to disagree about how Johnson matched up though, the game against Russia was definitely his weakest game in the tournament. He was a -3 on the night and was on the ice for both of Malkin's points.

#66 Registered User

Home Page:
    True but thats looking at the game through the stats. He played the body on Malkin very well and stopped him one on one a few times.

As for Staal, I remember watching him last year and thinking that he'll be a very good defenseman but one that always gets underrated. Its hard to explain but he was solid in every area but not very flashy, kind of like Bruce Driver or Ron Greschner. I haven't gotten to watch him this year, with the exception of the WJC, but he seems to be putting up some great numbers. How high end do you guys think he'll be?

7. Pax Macioretty

Pax Macioretty Registered User

Home Page:
    those Stall's i don't know what it is but they have this vision of the game that will make them all supertstars one day...

8. Pizza

Pizza Registered User

Being a Rangers fan, you'll take the following comments with perhaps a grain or two of salt. I admit I'm hoping for the best, but the fact is I have not seen Marc Staal play yet. Still, I'm reading stories about how this kid is the best defenseman not in the NHL. I mean is that real? I sure hope so. A couple years ago I was hoping against hope we could somehow get Dion Phaneuf. That is the kind of player I thought we needed to begin our rebuild and anchor our back line for the next decade or so. When we got Staal I was shocked that he had dropped that low. I'll admit I was wondering just how that could have happened. But it appears that the brothers share a tendency to not just elevate their game but to explode it to another level. It would seem likely at this point that Staal could well make the Rangers as a 19 year old. Not because they are pushing him, but because he truly deserves it. We caught a huge break getting this kid. I hope that what I'm reading is true, and he's this generations Larry Robinson. With guys like Staal on the back line and Lundqvist and Montoya in goal, the Rangers will be tough to play against far into the future.

9. Big Phil

Big Phil Registered User

Staal and Parent played extremely well. Staal especailly has NHL written all over him. Malkin had one scoring chance early in the game and then one late in the game when it was 5-0. Staal looks to me to be a very good all around defensemen

10. TheZherdev

TheZherdev Registered User

Just drooling over the tyutin and staal pairing in front of lundqvist. :jump:

11. Hunter Gathers

Hunter Gathers White guilt milquetoast piece of human garbage. Sponsor

Corporate Drone
    :bow:

12. Pizza

Pizza Registered User

I also can't wait to see how Sauer will do. I've seen very little, but the little I have seen was pretty impressive. Good size and skill. Takes the body. Good to very good skater. Saw him recover very well from a give a way and just skate up behind the guy and take the puck back. Very nice play. Raw but a ton of potential. I could see him being asked by the Rangers to go back as an overage so he could get plenty of ice time and as they will have many guys fighting for spots on the Hartford blue line. Then spending a year or so in the AHL after juniors. I think he'll be in MSG by 23, 24 yrs old.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.