Staal Defenseman of the Tourny!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misos Milakos*

You could make a case for a number of guys but Staal was a rock. Defence how it is meant to be played.

Misos Milakos*

You could make a case for a number of guys but Staal was a rock and horse. Defence how it is meant to be played.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Staal played so well every game.... I wouldn't have wanted to make the decision between he and Parent though - they were an outstanding pair. Bourdon was outstanding as well, but Staal/Parent shut down the two most dangerous players.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
Congrats to Staal. I felt that Parent really carried that pairing and deserved the award, but Staal had a terrific tourney as well. :clap:

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Congrats Marc! :clap: He played an amazing game and as usual, never makes a mistake. But I don't want him on the Rangers next year :cry:

Phanuthier*

It really wa sa 4 way tie between E Johnson, J Johnson, Staal and Parent. I thought Barker was pretty good too (never letting in a goal)... not flashy, but solid.

Furiousz Czerkawski

May 15, 2004
Agreeing with most of the sentiments mentioned.

Staal and Parent were both, clearly, the most deserving. Somehow I agree, though, with the decision to give it to Staal. He just seemed to have slightly more of a presence than Parent... IMO. Hard to describe.

Either way. :handclap:

Phanuthier*

Staal was the more notacible one and has more offensive talent, but the two biggest breakup chances at key times that could have turned the game around - on Kessel and Malkin - was both courtasy of Ryan Parant.

Trying who I'd rather have between the two is like asking if I'd rather have Rob Blake or Chris Pronger.

Personally, I like Ryan Parent. He was my favourite player - by far - this tournament.

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
Congratz to Staal. Man next yr if these guys arn't playing in the NHL, this team can have Bourdon, Staal, Parent back next yr. :eek:

Phanuthier*

Nashville is one of the smartest organizations in the league, especially at developing defenseman, they won't throw Parent to the wolves. They'll bring him along slowly like Weber, ect, and add him to a blueline that already has a frickin Hamhuis, Suter, Weber and now him (I know I'm missing a few too, which is just sick).

So, you'll see Parent back to the OHL and he'll be back next year. Staal? NYR might throw him in the NHL, but I'm not a fan of seeing teenage defenseman in the NHL, so I hope they send him back.

Bourdon won't be back. He almost made the Canucks this year (not that their blueline is that great now, little shot there :D) and he'll definatly make it next year.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Phanuthier said:
Nashville is one of the smartest organizations in the league, especially at developing defenseman, they won't throw Parent to the wolves. They'll bring him along slowly like Weber, ect, and add him to a blueline that already has a frickin Hamhuis, Suter, Weber and now him (I know I'm missing a few too, which is just sick).

So, you'll see Parent back to the OHL and he'll be back next year. Staal? NYR might throw him in the NHL, but I'm not a fan of seeing teenage defenseman in the NHL, so I hope they send him back.

Bourdon won't be back. He almost made the Canucks this year (not that their blueline is that great now, little shot there :D) and he'll definatly make it next year.

Bourdon wont be with the Canucks. They're trying to develope a solid prospect for once, and wont rush him. They're keeping him their next year, IMO. He owns tons of potential(#1 defenseman in the nhl) and Canucks will make sure they wont ruin that.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
H N I C said:
Congratz to Staal. Man next yr if these guys arn't playing in the NHL, this team can have Bourdon, Staal, Parent back next yr. :eek:
Won't happen. Staal already has a contract with NYR. I don't expect him to be back. I predict Bourdon will sign a contract with Vancouver and play in the show next year. Parent will be back, and he will be our captain and even better on defence as a 19-year-old. Russel and Letang are also eligible to come back next year.

Anyways, right pick for the top defenceman. After the gold medal game, with the way he dominated Malkin, a case could be made for MVP. Staal played textbook defence. He was not only airtight in his own zone, but he showcased an ability to move the puck. He'll be a top-notch defenceman for years to come.

Phanuthier*

Russian_fanatic said:
Bourdon wont be with the Canucks. They're trying to develope a solid prospect for once, and wont rush him. They're keeping him their next year, IMO. He owns tons of potential(#1 defenseman in the nhl) and Canucks will make sure they wont ruin that.
I know your a Canuck fan, and I'm a Flames fan ect ect, and I know he's getting alot of credit and everything, but I'm not as impressed with his decision making. To his credit, his decisions worked, but I don't think they'll work in the NHL with smarter players who know their game. IMO (and my opinion only) Bourdon is going to the low percentage areas trying to make high percentage plays, and that won't work against the Adam Foote's or Keith Carney's. That's why he reminds of a Jovo, he's got all the tools, but I'm not sure he's the sum of his parts. But, I'm sitting at home on a computer and not a scout, so Vancouver will work with him and they know Bourdon far more then I do.

For the very same reasons is why Ryan Parent is my favourite players. He's got some great tools, but he's got an incredible head on his shoulders. Not a flashy guy, but always the right play.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Phanuthier said:
I know your a Canuck fan, and I'm a Flames fan ect ect, and I know he's getting alot of credit and everything, but I'm not as impressed with his decision making. To his credit, his decisions worked, but I don't think they'll work in the NHL with smarter players who know their game. IMO (and my opinion only) Bourdon is going to the low percentage areas trying to make high percentage plays, and that won't work against the Adam Foote's or Keith Carney's. That's why he reminds of a Jovo, he's got all the tools, but I'm not sure he's the sum of his parts. But, I'm sitting at home on a computer and not a scout, so Vancouver will work with him and they know Bourdon far more then I do.

For the very same reasons is why Ryan Parent is my favourite players. He's got some great tools, but he's got an incredible head on his shoulders. Not a flashy guy, but always the right play.

Well everyone has their differences my friend, you have yours and I have mine. In my opinion his game isn't that bad on the defensive end, and yours is different, but that is exactly what the minor league is for to develope players and groom them into their potential.

NYRGoalieGlut*

I want some outside opinions. Maybe this should go to the prospect board, but whose game does Staal remind you guys of and how good of a player do you expect him to be?

Phanuthier*

Tough call... Chris Pronger? Maybe not as big, but that was the first to come to mind.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
NYRGoalieGlut said:
I want some outside opinions. Maybe this should go to the prospect board, but whose game does Staal remind you guys of and how good of a player do you expect him to be?

Pronger? NO! Ohlund is more like it. Top notch #2 defenseman. A top pairing man.

Last edited:

Phanuthier*

Maybe Ohlund is a better comparison, although I think Staal could very much be a No 1 defenseman and a good one too.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Heading into the final game I thought Jack Johnson had the award wrapped up, but watching Staal and Parent play tonight really put an exclamation point on how good they are. Staal was great for Canada and in the end, he deserved the award.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Phanuthier said:
Maybe Ohlund is a better comparison, although I think Staal could very much be a No 1 defenseman and a good one too.

Well to be a number 1 you need to have the offensive game, but Staal just doesn't have that much offensive weapons IMO. Nothing wrong with being a top notch #2.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
Russian_fanatic said:
Well to be a number 1 you need to have the offensive game, but Staal just doesn't have that much offensive weapons IMO. Nothing wrong with being a top notch #2.

He wasn't asked to bring offense in this tournament. Him and Parent were obviously used in nothing but a shutdown role and were incredibly effective. Staal does have a great breakout pass, we just didn't get to see much of anything else offensively this tourney. I don't think he'll ever come even close to being a Pronger-like player, but he does have some offensive tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad