St. Paul crowds

Status
Not open for further replies.

ish

Jan 3, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Visit site
Is anyone else as disgusted as I am about the poor crowds in MN? I don't care baout bad marketing. If you people can sell out a Wild-Preds game with 32 total shots in the game months in advance can you put some fans in the seats for a some great international hockey? No offense to the great hockey people of Minnesota but I don't think anyone will be knocking your door for quite a while in regards to hosting international hockey. Let's hit Detroit next (despite that Canadians will poor over the border to attend).

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
I was disappointed in Toronto as well. The Minnesota crowd shouldn't have much to cheer about tonight anyway.

3-0 Finland. :D

Last edited:

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
I'm surprised at the level of noise, sorry lack of noise, in St. Paul. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the games start at 6pm CT and people come in, missing the 1st period? I know that would make me less enthusastic about the game.

And, as for the Torontoians, come on you're Canadian, show it and MAKE SOME NOISE!!!

Leafer72*

Re

Right now in the Finland/USA game there's nothing going on, no offensive chances not much to cheer about same thing in the first Russia/USA game where the got dominated by the Russians

I think the Vikings are dominated the sports news around there and it's September

Feb 24, 2004
Garfield said:
I was disappointed in Toronto as well. The Minnesota crowd shouldn't have much to cheer about tonight anyway.

3-0 Finland. :D

It wasn't the noise he was talking about, it was the tickets sold.

Mr. Penguin

Aug 30, 2004
Finland
Ah, it feels so good to post here now. It's so damn right that USA lost! 2-1! ha ha ha ha! This is so right for USA and it's poor fans. Now I'm sure there are (a) few hockey maniacs in USA, but I just can't like a country that doesn't give a damn about hockey. This feels so good now. Now the bad crowd is even quieter. ha ha ha! :lol

Brad*

Mr. Penguin said:
Ah, it feels so good to post here now. It's so damn right that USA lost! 2-1! ha ha ha ha! This is so right for USA and it's poor fans. Now I'm sure there are (a) few hockey maniacs in USA, but I just can't like a country that doesn't give a damn about hockey. This feels so good now. Now the bad crowd is even quieter. ha ha ha! :lol
Oh no, as an American I don't know if I can go on knowing that Mr. Penguin doesn't like the US.

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
I think it has something to do with the fact that the so called "state of hockey" is a giant lie. It seems that many Minnesota Wild fans are fans of MINNESOTA....and not really hockey fans at all....

Brad*

MePutPuckInNet said:
I think it has something to do with the fact that the so called "state of hockey" is a giant lie. It seems that many Minnesota Wild fans are fans of MINNESOTA....and not really hockey fans at all....
Yeah, the real "state of hockey" is New Mexico.

Buffalo Stylee

Apr 4, 2004
Buffalo/Niagara
Mr. Penguin said:

Wow. You beat us at hockey. Good for you. How are those whopping 2 medals Finland won in the Olympics doing?

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
ish said:
Is anyone else as disgusted as I am about the poor crowds in MN? I don't care baout bad marketing. If you people can sell out a Wild-Preds game with 32 total shots in the game months in advance can you put some fans in the seats for a some great international hockey? No offense to the great hockey people of Minnesota but I don't think anyone will be knocking your door for quite a while in regards to hosting international hockey. Let's hit Detroit next (despite that Canadians will poor over the border to attend).

Great international hockey? Pfft. I was pumped for those games, asked the team about tickets the day after I learned we'd get some games at the X. Apart from a couple of flashy plays every so often, that sweet Kovalev goal, and some marvelous passing by Modano, these games weren't all that great. It was mostly a letdown, and it wasn't because the crowds got in late. The hockey wasn't all that stunning. Wild games are often more fun there. I was really trying to get into it, too. Don't get me wrong, I had fun, but this last loss doesn't really feel like a big deal. There's no heartbreak. Without that tension, the games just aren't really that great. The US team looked like they didn't care half the time. How are the fans supposed to get into it when the players aren't?

Honestly, I got the feeling from a lot of people that they felt this was sort of a made-up, exhibition tournament. The tension level at the games just wasn't there. I think they should go back to calling it Canada's Cup. Play all the games on the north side of the border (or east, I suppose). Fans over there will watch anything, and you'll get good crowds and coverage.

Gophers v. Denver on October 9th at the X is going to blow all of these games away combined, and I can't wait for it. ;)

Rocky Saginuts

Jul 21, 2004
Hamildump, Ontario
I've been to a few of the Toronto games, and believe me, it aint electric-city up here either. This tourney just doesn't seem to be capturing the imagination of the casual hockey fan.

Team Canada's into it, Montreal was into it, Finland and it's players are into it - but not many outside that group give a rat's arce.

I'm into it, so I'll be at Canada's next TWO victories. Finland's boring rope-a-dope blanket approach will put a few fans into a coma, but Heatley's gonna break out!!!!

Cheers

PS: To bad USA, I wanted the rematch.

Feb 24, 2004
mpdman said:
I've been to a few of the Toronto games, and believe me, it aint electric-city up here either. This tourney just doesn't seem to be capturing the imagination of the casual hockey fan.

Team Canada's into it, Montreal was into it, Finland and it's players are into it - but not many outside that group give a rat's arce.

I'm into it, so I'll be at Canada's next TWO victories. Finland's boring rope-a-dope blanket approach will put a few fans into a coma, but Heatley's gonna break out!!!!

Cheers

PS: To bad USA, I wanted the rematch.

Don't assume the rest of Canada isn't into it, just because Montreal makes more noise than Toronto. As mentioned previously, Toronto fans don't make that much noise, with all the corporations in attendance. Yet the games are still selling out(33 tickets, bah) and their is still interest. Same in Western Canada. Montreal wasn't that great. People seem to forget it was empty too at the beginning of the periods, and wasn't really that loud.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
leafs4thecup said:
Don't assume the rest of Canada isn't into it, just because Montreal makes more noise than Toronto. As mentioned previously, Toronto fans don't make that much noise, with all the corporations in attendance. Yet the games are still selling out(33 tickets, bah) and their is still interest. Same in Western Canada. Montreal wasn't that great. People seem to forget it was empty too at the beginning of the periods, and wasn't really that loud.

I'm not big into pissing contests, but writing that Montreal wasn't that great is going too far. Montreal was a great venue for this tournament. The hockey played there was solid. Rock solid. And the fans were absolutely perfect.

As for Toronto, I mostly believe it's because of the suits. Even though Torontonians are not as vocal, I do believe it can't be worse than in MN. If you believe the hockey during the regular season of the NHL is better, I guess Jacques Lemaire has really brainwashed you guys...God bless us all. You're seeing the best damn players in the world playing, and you're complaining about the quality of the hockey? You would rather see Pascal Dupuis than Saku Koivu or Mike Modano? Sheesh...

I would take this kind of hockey for 82 games. In fact, they should go back to 8 teams in the NHL, with the best players, just like this tourney. I simply envy my father and grandmother who witnessed the glorious era of the NHL, with only 6 teams.

Last edited:

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
deandebean said:
If you believe the hockey during the regular season of the NHL is better, I guess Jacques Lemaire has really brainwashed you guys...God bless us all. You're seeing the best damn players in the world playing, and you're complaining about the quality of the hockey? You would rather see Pascal Dupuis than Saku Koivu or Mike Modano? Sheesh...

Durn tootin' I'm complaining. The names on the back of the jerseys aren't what makes good hockey, if you ask me. St. Paul got one pretty good game, and that was the Russia/US quarterfinal. There were some entertaining moments in the other games, but they also had large portions of sloppy and ugly play. Tonight's game it looked like they forgot to have their nap earlier or something. Passes into the feet instead of on the stick, guys not paying attention as the puck gets passed to them. Shots were 4-3 after the first period... that's not good, no matter who's on the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad