St. Louis wins the lottery -- pick speculation

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
P_B and I will be more than happy to pick for St. Louis in any mock draft.

And while I can't speak on his behalf, I would listen to offers for the #1 pick. I have no idea whether the Blues organization will be doing the same.

pmanning1969

Apr 5, 2006
Pittsburgh

Congrats St. Louis!

We in Pittsburgh feel like we won the lottery too. Our biggest fear was falling to three

Jaded, couldnt have said it better myself. Your absolutely correct. Besides Patrick being fired, this is another great day in the evolution of this young team.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Irish Blues said:
P_B and I will be more than happy to pick for St. Louis in any mock draft.

And while I can't speak on his behalf, I would listen to offers for the #1 pick. I have no idea whether the Blues organization will be doing the same.

I would be shocked if St. Louis did not pick up the phone to Pittsburgh regarding moving down to two. Forward is more of a need, and Kessel is a 'sexier' pick to market. Perhaps they could pick something up from Pittsburgh in the process. Unless St. Louis is really sold on Johnson being head and shoulders above everyone else. If so, you take him regardless of need or position.

PapaBear*

Jaded-Fan said:
I would be shocked if St. Louis did not pick up the phone to Pittsburgh regarding moving down to two. Forward is more of a need, and Kessel is a 'sexier' pick to market. Perhaps they could pick something up from Pittsburgh in the process. Unless St. Louis is really sold on Johnson being head and shoulders above everyone else. If so, you take him regardless of need or position.

will Jack Johnson be playing next year? Who drafted him again?

HoustonHockey

Jan 5, 2006
Pittsburgh is still in a very valuable posistion. They really need both Johnson and Kessel and they will have that opportunity. I say that St. Louis will take Kessel.

Checker*

Blues alumnus and current radio color guy for the Blues, Kelly Chase, was on the radio recently talking about how the Blues need to stay away from Phil Kessel at the draft. Now I know the Blues don't exactly have the reputation of being the smoothest run franchise around, but I can't see Chase ripping a player that the Blues are seriously looking at taking. It doesn't help anyone involved.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Jaded-Fan said:

That would be pointless. I agree that the blues are unlikely to draft EJ and that means the Penguins who want EJ wont need to trade up to get him.
Florida and Columbus did a similar thing in 2002, which was pointless as first of all Florida didn't gain anything from drafting down and secondly of all Columbus would have Nash if they had stayed at 3 anyway.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Checker said:
Blues alumnus and current radio color guy for the Blues, Kelly Chase, was on the radio recently talking about how the Blues need to stay away from Phil Kessel at the draft. Now I know the Blues don't exactly have the reputation of being the smoothest run franchise around, but I can't see Chase ripping a player that the Blues are seriously looking at taking. It doesn't help anyone involved.

Has Kelly Chase ever seen Phil Kessel? I sincerely doubt it.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
J17ster said:
That would be pointless. I agree that the blues are unlikely to draft EJ and that means the Penguins who want EJ wont need to trade up to get him.
I doubt the Blues are going to tip their hand on who they really want - if Pittsburgh wants Johnson and thinks the Blues are going to take him instead, they make an offer to move up instead of hoping that St. Louis doesn't take him and EJ falls to 2.

Trust me, there's maybe 3 people who will know who's #1 on the Blues draft list, and none of them are going to say who that person is.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Jaded-Fan said:

St. Louis can also trade down to 3rd or 4th for a better package if there not interested in Johnson. It's more or less a given that Pitt rather go defense first.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Irish Blues said:
I doubt the Blues are going to tip their hand on who they really want - if Pittsburgh wants Johnson and thinks the Blues are going to take him instead, they make an offer to move up instead of hoping that St. Louis doesn't take him and EJ falls to 2.

Trust me, there's maybe 3 people who will know who's #1 on the Blues draft list, and none of them are going to say who that person is.

True, we don't know who the Blues have top of their list, and whether they want EJ. I would be suprised if the Blues took EJ but then i have heard blues fans say that they doubt they would take Kessel either. Its all speculation though.

As for the Penguins trading up, i personally don't think they need too. If they do, the blues wont gain that much though. The last two times a trade like this has happened not much was gained by the team trading away the top pick.

Checker*

Rabid Ranger said:
Has Kelly Chase ever seen Phil Kessel? I sincerely doubt it.

The story isn't what Chase exactly said. I'm not putting that out there and trying to use this as some sort of expert analysis to stay away from Kessel. The story is that he chose to say something like this at all. What sense does it make for a respected alumnus and voice of the Blues to insult a prospect and then for the organization to draft that said prospect? What would the casual fans who would pay close attention to Chase's analysis think of that? Either Chase spoke completely out of turn or the Blues don't have Phil Kessel in their sights. Based on some of the reports of the close scouting of Staal and Backstrom, I'm guessing the latter.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Brooklyndevil said:
St. Louis can also trade down to 3rd or 4th for a better package if there not interested in Johnson. It's more or less a given that Pitt rather go defense first.

Cool, we take Kessel then. Where do you get 'It's more or less a given that Pitt rather go defense first'? The Pens primary weakness is on wing. Although we have no one like Johnson is projected to be, defense is one of our great depth positions. To the point that we will have to trade NHL calibre players just so that they can play. Whitney, Orpik, Noah Welch, Alex Goligoski, Ryan Lannon, Kristopher Letang, Andy Schneider, Paul Bissonnette . . . and so on. Where are we going to play them all? We can get by just fine on defense without a Johnson, although he would be a wonderful and welcome addition. But a Kessel, if he does as projected, fills a much greater need for us.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Checker said:
The story isn't what Chase exactly said. I'm not putting that out there and trying to use this as some sort of expert analysis to stay away from Kessel. The story is that he chose to say something like this at all. What sense does it make for a respected alumnus and voice of the Blues to insult a prospect and then for the organization to draft that said prospect? What would the casual fans who would pay close attention to Chase's analysis think of that? Either Chase spoke completely out of turn or the Blues don't have Phil Kessel in their sights. Based on some of the reports of the close scouting of Staal and Backstrom, I'm guessing the latter.

I can buy what you're selling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->