St. John's Joining the ECHL (Confirmed)

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Wait, are you saying a team could break their affiliation contract before the term is up? Surprising!

I don't think the NHL team pays the ECHL team for affiliation. I think it is the other way around.

The only money that changes hands in ECHL affiliation agreements is the $525 a week an assigned player is paid by the ECHL team. The rest of that player's salary is covered by the assigning team and doesn't count against the ECHL salary cap.

Reactions: JMCx4

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Wait, are you saying a team could break their affiliation contract before the term is up? Surprising!

I don't think the NHL team pays the ECHL team for affiliation. I think it is the other way around.
how much was Norfolk paid by Nashville until the agreement was cancelled, and yes, Ottawa is a secondary affiliate, much as Florida had been a secondary affiliate in Manchester for the last 3+ years

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
how much was Norfolk paid by Nashville until the agreement was cancelled, and yes, Ottawa is a secondary affiliate, much as Florida had been a secondary affiliate in Manchester for the last 3+ years

1) You just proved yourself wrong on a previous topic by citing an affiliation that ended before the contractual length was over, and 2) the answer to the question is ZERO.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
1) You just proved yourself wrong on a previous topic by citing an affiliation that ended before the contractual length was over, and 2) the answer to the question is ZERO.

Bridgeport pays Worcester nothing for three players huh, although they can recall them at any time, BS

Growlers

Go Growlers!
Dec 9, 2017
Expansion team would put the league in 28 cities next season

The yet-to-be-named St. John’s team could officially be introduced as the ECHL’s newest franchise as early as today.
With the expected approval from the league’s board of governors, St. John’s will be the 28th team in the ECHL next season, coming in as an expansion franchise along with the Maine (Portland) Mariners.

There are currently 27 teams in the ECHL, but the Colorado Eagles will be moving to the American Hockey League next season to become the chief affiliate of the NHL’s Colorado Avalanche. The Eagles play out of Loveland, Co., just north of Denver.

St. John’s and Portland will be the seventh and eighth former AHL cities to join the ECHL, with Manchester, N.H., Glens Falls (Adirondack), N.Y., Worcester, Mass., Norfolk, Va., Cincinnati, Ohio and Indianapolis, Ind.

While it has not yet been determined, St. John’s will probably be a part of the North Division with the Manchester Monarchs, Adirondack Thunder, Worcester Railers, Reading, Pa., Royals, Wheeling, W.V., Nailers and Brampton, Ont., Beast.

The new St. John’s will have an affiliation with the Toronto Maple Leafs. The Leafs are currently affiliated with the Orlando Solar Bears.
St. John’s businessmen Dean MacDonald and Glenn Stanford, the latter who was the chief operating officer for the St. John’s IceCaps during their six years in the AHL, and prior to that the St. John’s Maple Leafs, went through the process of acquiring an expansion franchise in December.
All criteria were met, with the exception of one item: an arena lease agreement.

St. John’s Edge basketball owners Irwin Simon and Robert Sabbagh, through a clause in their lease agreement with Mile One Centre, had first dibs, if you will, for a hockey team to play at Mile One.
After St. John’s Sports and Entertainment — the board which runs Mile One — ruled Simon and Sabbagh had lost the exclusive rights to bring hockey into the building, the Edge group announced it would be seeking arbitration.

And given that move, SJSE said it would not negotiate with MacDonald and Stanford while the arbitration process was ongoing.
So basically, what you had was one group with a hockey team, but nowhere to play, and another group with an arena, but no hockey team.
Given that scenario, the competitors came together just over a week ago, agreeing to team up with hockey.
But while there is now a deal in place, there are many moving pieces which have to be worked out, including hockey details in a lease agreement.
Related

Deal to score ECHL agreement was a buzzer-beater
The ECHL, which brands itself is the premier AA hockey league in the United States, was founded in 1988-89 as the East Coast Hockey League with the Carolina Thunderbirds, Erie Panthers, Johnstown Chiefs, Knoxville Cherokees and Virginia Lancers.
It was officially rebranded the ECHL in 2003.
Last season, 24 former ECHL players played their first NHL game. Prior to this season, the total number of players who played in the NHL following stints in the ECHL was 623.
There are currently two Newfoundlanders in the ECHL — James Melindy of the Goulds (Utah Grizzlies) and Cody Donaghey (Brampton Beast).

Source: ECHL ready to give official approval to franchise for St. John's | The Telegram

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
My dream to see 31 in the ECHL could go like this:

Solar Bears owners purchase AHL Syracuse Crunch, and relocate team to become AHL Solar Bears (who remain with Lightning). ECHL Solar Bears sold to Syracuse group and become ECHL Crunch, affiliated with Sabres and moved into North Division.

Baltimore franchise added to South Division.

Dallas Stars purchases Americans and performs franchise swap with Texas Stars.

Wheeling moves to South Division.

Kansas City, Tulsa, Wichita move to Central Division.

Mountain Division renamed Pacific and adds Abbotsford, Albuquerque, and Fresno.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

Solar Bears owners purchase AHL Syracuse Crunch, and relocate team to become AHL Solar Bears (who remain with Lightning). ECHL Solar Bears sold to Syracuse group and become ECHL Crunch, affiliated with Sabres and moved into North Division.

Dolgon will never sell Syracuse... the DEVOS family won't be trading Orlando after losing Toronto.... I don't see Pegula wanting in either, when you have Rochester/and both Buffalo teams....

Baltimore has no arena, nor is Monumental interested now they are adding a G-League affiliate of the Wizards....

why would Gagliardi add Allen, when he already owns the Austin market....

Abbotsford and Fresno have been asked and answered, if we aren't going to 31 or 32, as PCS SUGGESTS, HOW do you get 4 to 5 more owners, if you're losing 2 to 3 teams per year

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015

Wait, is this your dream to expand the ECHL or kill off most of the current franchises?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Doesn't appear Fog Devils, Maple Leafs or Ice Caps are under consideration as Deacon Investments wanting a complete brand change.....

Shamrocks and Storm seem to have gotten registered as potential options as the brand search begins

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA

Moving AHL Utica out west somewhere (Fresno?), and adding ECHL teams in Albany and Utica seems much more likely and reasonable than the Syracuse/Orlando swap.

Also, if this is some kind of "dream" ECHL, there should be a better alignment than having Baltimore and Wheeling in the south division. Wheeling fits much better with the central division, and Baltimore is 2 hours from Reading. Both of them would end up playing half their schedule out of their division. If are going to pick a city to add to the south you could just add a team that is actually in the south like Florence, Augusta or Biloxi rather than Baltimore.

Worcester, Adirondack, Albany, Elmira, Utica, Trenton, Reading, Binghamton would be a nice north division if we are just making stuff up that is never going to happen.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Moving AHL Utica out west somewhere (Fresno?), and adding ECHL teams in Albany and Utica seems much more likely and reasonable than the Syracuse/Orlando swap.

Also, if this is some kind of "dream" ECHL, there should be a better alignment than having Baltimore and Wheeling in the south division. Wheeling fits much better with the central division, and Baltimore is 2 hours from Reading. Both of them would end up playing half their schedule out of their division. If are going to pick a city to add to the south you could just add a team that is actually in the south like Florence, Augusta or Biloxi rather than Baltimore.

Worcester, Adirondack, Albany, Elmira, Utica, Trenton, Reading, Binghamton would be a nice north division if we are just making stuff up that is never going to happen.

Albany is a tough one, it really is. Albany NY is a town that has always been basketball crazy. Not that there aren't enough fans who enjoy hockey, I just think many either take to NCAA DI college hockey, many fans who are starting to warm to the ECHL Thunder up in Adirondack, and many fans who love the Rangers or Bruins. Now just like hockey, there are two local DI basketball teams playing in Albany, these two same DI teams are likely hurting the return of the once well loved Albany Patroons who are struggling to draw fans in the new NAPBL, too much basketball lol. I am sure the ECHL Thunder are going to do all they can to protect their market share, and discourage a team from landing in nearby Albany (approx. 50 miles or less then 1 hour).

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
They'd be jumping for joy as it would reduce travel costs by a massive amount...

I don't know if they would. Although I am sure Portland, Worcester, and Manchester (If they hold up) would like another team in that neck of the woods. They could stay right in between Adirondack and Albany. Adirondack would have to weigh the financials, is another nearby team cutting into your revenue/fan base allowing you to save a little more of logistics? I don't think it does but then again I am not a GM.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
I don't know if they would. Although I am sure Portland, Worcester, and Manchester (If they hold up) would like another team in that neck of the woods. They could stay right in between Adirondack and Albany. Adirondack would have to weigh the financials, is another nearby team cutting into your revenue/fan base allowing you to save a little more of logistics? I don't think it does but then again I am not a GM.

I know they would because I've talked to them about it.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I know they would because I've talked to them about it.
oh, let's move the Railers HC to Albany, then, if you've already talked to the ECHL about it, That's why no hockey team is in Albany when the same league is in both markets, and they were right.... thanks to Detroit and New Jersey, and you wonder why Adirondack's territory includes the Capital District, I don't remember Albany being geographically close to the Adirondacks, either, since that's a consideration:rolleyes::D:skeptic:

jammers5

Mar 15, 2018
I for one am looking very forward to the ECHL coming to St. John's. We are a hockey town and we loved our AHL Leafs and IceCaps. ...with exception to the last season of our Winnipeg affiliation and the lame duck Montreal affiliation. The team as already announced ticket prices will be "no where near" the avg ticket price charged for the IceCaps, which was $30.

I am hoping the quality of hockey is better than the QMJHL team we had here. I was a Season ticket holder the 1st season and never renewed.The overall experience was no where near the AHL. I love live hockey, but the Fog Devils just didn't cut it.

As for the name of the team I am glad they are shelving the "IceCaps" .....the name was terrible. I am hoping they revive "St. John's Maple Leafs" as they had a long and proud history here. Not sure if they will but its #1 on my list. I don't mind rhe name shamrocks but i despise green as the dominant color. ( not to say they wont go with a dominate white and black trimmed with green and gold - that would be cool!)

Anyhow, I am looking forward to opening night. Nothing beats a night at the rink cheering for your team. I joined this forum this evening and look forward to discussing hockey from time to time.

Cheers!

J5

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I for one am looking very forward to the ECHL coming to St. John's. We are a hockey town and we loved our AHL Leafs and IceCaps. ...with exception to the last season of our Winnipeg affiliation and the lame duck Montreal affiliation. The team as already announced ticket prices will be "no where near" the avg ticket price charged for the IceCaps, which was $30.

I am hoping the quality of hockey is better than the QMJHL team we had here. I was a Season ticket holder the 1st season and never renewed.The overall experience was no where near the AHL. I love live hockey, but the Fog Devils just didn't cut it.

As for the name of the team I am glad they are shelving the "IceCaps" .....the name was terrible. I am hoping they revive "St. John's Maple Leafs" as they had a long and proud history here. Not sure if they will but its #1 on my list. I don't mind rhe name shamrocks but i despise green as the dominant color. ( not to say they wont go with a dominate white and black trimmed with green and gold - that would be cool!)

Anyhow, I am looking forward to opening night. Nothing beats a night at the rink cheering for your team. I joined this forum this evening and look forward to discussing hockey from time to time.

Cheers!

J5
doesn't appear from what the TELEGRAM reported yesterday (see post above), that Deacon Investments won't be using Fog Devils, Ice Caps or Maple Leafs, J5, BUT welcome anyway.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... Anyhow, I am looking forward to opening night. Nothing beats a night at the rink cheering for your team. I joined this forum this evening and look forward to discussing hockey from time to time.

Cheers!

J5
Welcome to HFB, J5. I hope you lurked awhile before signing on, to give you a clear sense of what you were getting yourself into. :popcorn:

jammers5

Mar 15, 2018
doesn't appear from what the TELEGRAM reported yesterday (see post above), that Deacon Investments won't be using Fog Devils, Ice Caps or Maple Leafs, J5, BUT welcome anyway.

Yes that is what they reported based on the registration of domain names by the marketing firm, but in actual fact Maple Leafs was already registered ..and there have been other reports maple leafs is being considered.

J5

Growlers

Go Growlers!
Dec 9, 2017
I don't think it will be Maple leafs for two reasons.

1. zero ECHL teams have names that match their NHL affiliate.

2. What happens years down the road if they change affiliation with Toronto Maple Leafs? I'm guessing they would be forced to change their name.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad