SSM Greyhounds 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
if it were me, and it's not lol, i'd look for two 07 forwards that will be impact players down the road. we have a ton of defence prospects and current vets that i'm comfortable with. i think it'd be great to have a couple strong forwards to grow with martin and hayes. would make the rebuild that much quicker.

just my opinion.

thoughts?
I can get on board this. Are you thinking free agent signings, import signings, or signings from our existing draft pool?

Just not sure which current forward prospects fit the bill? Which is disappointing when trying to add to the already strong 07 core from our early round successes.

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
I can get on board this. Are you thinking free agent signings, import signings, or signings from our existing draft pool?

Just not sure which current forward prospects fit the bill? Which is disappointing when trying to add to the already strong 07 core from our early round successes.
sorry, i meant in the import draft.

Reactions: HockeyPops

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
with so much unknown regarding the status of a lot of our '07 class, and some obvious holes in the roster at forward, doesn't that make the croskery pick a bit of a headscratcher?

that could turn out to be one of his best picks (if he reports) or one of his worst picks (if he doesn't). throwing away a 2nd with AWOL 2007 prospects and empty cupboards the next few years was risky imo. as i said the other day, i'll take the longview but he will be judged harshly if he wasted that pick at such a crucial point in our rebuild.

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
with so much unknown regarding the status of a lot of our '07 class, and some obvious holes in the roster at forward, doesn't that make the croskery pick a bit of a headscratcher?

that could turn out to be one of his best picks (if he reports) or one of his worst picks (if he doesn't). throwing away a 2nd with AWOL 2007 prospects and empty cupboards the next few years was risky imo. as i said the other day, i'll take the longview but he will be judged harshly if he wasted that pick at such a crucial point in our rebuild.
good points, which makes me wonder if he knows something and not letting it slip, to let the family deal with it quietly and on their terms? i'm in the same boat....to take him in the 2nd, with no guarantee (which there never really is a guarantee) or at least some inkling, is hard to swallow.

but adding that talent to the really deep 07 an 08 class, would be unreal. 07's, Martin, Hayes, Solomon, and Smith are really talented. add in Keegan Gillen, and possibly one more would make a solid nucleus.

Our 08 class, from what i saw this weekend is all size and skill. like almost all of them lol.

Gibby should be one of, if not the premier dman at the deadline that could net us anohter 08 or at least an 07 and a handful of 2nds. Shenkle and Allard could net us some much needed 3rds.

two more 07's in the Import draft that can grow with this crop...we could be back in the thick of it in 2 years. 3 most likely.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
i had a thought that we might consider an '05 forward in the import draft as a stopgap to shore up our forward core for next year and insulate/mentor our young guys but i can't argue with the logic of adding 2x '07's and developing them ourselves if the potential is there and the kids are open to playing in NA

Reactions: Houndzfan20

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I am following the NCAA eligibility developments closely. I still think it's possible Raftis selected Croskery knowing there was zero chance he reported this year, but believing that he could get him next year provided the NCAA eligibility rules change.

Raftis has a very bad track record for getting impact forwards through the import draft. Not sure why. His success rate with defensemen is through the roof. I think he has go with BPA in the import draft. I still think a successful import draft is getting one impactful player to report this year, obviously two would be fantastic.

Reactions: Houndzfan20

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Was Ryder Cali at development camp? Went 3rd round to
1715034071605.jpeg

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
3rd round to Muskegon...that surprised a lot of people. Of note, as I mentioned on another thread, while the USHL would love to have players like Cali, this draft isn't as important as tomorrows phase II draft. It's that draft where clubs pick players ready to play and devote a lot more of their resources to scouting them and signing them.

Also of note, Carson Andrew, through 6 rounds has yet to be drafted...a good sign for the Soo

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
3rd round to Muskegon...that surprised a lot of people. Of note, as I mentioned on another thread, while the USHL would love to have players like Cali, this draft isn't as important as tomorrows phase II draft. It's that draft where clubs pick players ready to play and devote a lot more of their resources to scouting them and signing them.

Also of note, Carson Andrew, through 6 rounds has yet to be drafted...a good sign for the Soo
I'm a little puzzled as to what made him fall all the way to the 4th round if there wasn't a commitment in place. I mentioned this before, but some say he's already on the radar for the 26 NHL draft. That usually means top 2 rounds in the O.

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
I'm a little puzzled as to what made him fall all the way to the 4th round if there wasn't a commitment in place. I mentioned this before, but some say he's already on the radar for the 26 NHL draft. That usually means top 2 rounds in the O.

I'm curious to know who or what scouting agency has him as a player to watch for in the 26 draft. He's a good player, certainly worthy of a top half pick (3rd....maybe 2nd round) in the USHL draft but I don't think I'd consider him an elite player or as a potential NHL draft pick. Not saying he cannot or wont be one but as of now he isn't regarded in the elite category (of which you have to be to be considered a future potential NHL pick two years out from your draft year) and had he declared his intentions for the OHL then he would have been a late 3rd round type of pick.

So he really didn't fall all that much

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I'm curious to know who or what scouting agency has him as a player to watch for in the 26 draft. He's a good player, certainly worthy of a top half pick (3rd....maybe 2nd round) in the USHL draft but I don't think I'd consider him an elite player or as a potential NHL draft pick. Not saying he cannot or wont be one but as of now he isn't regarded in the elite category (of which you have to be to be considered a future potential NHL pick two years out from your draft year) and had he declared his intentions for the OHL then he would have been a late 3rd round type of pick.

So he really didn't fall all that much
I messaged thescout.ca on Twitter and a couple of others. They said he was 'on the radar'of NHL teams and another said they were surprised to see him drafted to the O.

It just seems to me that he should have commitments elsewhere, but I'll be really happy if he comes to the Hounds. Nice work by Raftis if that's the case. Maybe they got fellow Missourian Ryan Roth to recruit.

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
I messaged thescout.ca on Twitter and a couple of others. They said he was 'on the radar'of NHL teams and another said they were surprised to see him drafted to the O.

It just seems to me that he should have commitments elsewhere, but I'll be really happy if he comes to the Hounds. Nice work by Raftis if that's the case. Maybe they got fellow Missourian Ryan Roth to recruit.

Again, a good player and yes nice work by the Hounds but I wouldn't expect all that much from him as a 16 year old in the OHL. I could be wrong (and am a lot) but I just don't see him as elite and am surprised that a reputable agency like the scout.ca has him as a player to watch for the 26 NHL draft.

Reactions: HockeyPops

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I appreciate you chiming in here, and have no trouble reconciling your assessment with my own viewings (albeit brief). I don't see much there in the way of elite game breaking ability, and yet i like the player as a solid, all around prospect who seems to have no glaring areas of weakness. He can definitely play in this league.

I hope he signs.

Reactions: Corso

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad