Squeezing the stick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I have no idea why, and figured that someone else might have some insights...

I started playing recreational hockey in the last couple years after many years off. When I played junior, I was a scorer, and had a fairly decent shot.

But since I have come back to playing, the shot is still strong, but the accuracy has gone to pot. For some reason, a too high percentage of all my shots are about six inches outside either post.

I was thinking that I might be using a stick longer than I used to? Trying to hard to shoot with velocity?

Any thoughts?

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
slats432 said:

I started playing recreational hockey in the last couple years after many years off. When I played junior, I was a scorer, and had a fairly decent shot.

But since I have come back to playing, the shot is still strong, but the accuracy has gone to pot. For some reason, a too high percentage of all my shots are about six inches outside either post.

I was thinking that I might be using a stick longer than I used to? Trying to hard to shoot with velocity?

Any thoughts?

A longer stick will give you more velocity, but make it tougher to handle the puck and also control your shot.

Do you find that you're always missing in one direction ???

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:
A longer stick will give you more velocity, but make it tougher to handle the puck and also control your shot.

I have trouble handling the puck (I didn't had before) and I find that my shot is always missing in one direction. I'm gonna cut my stick.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
John Flyers Fan said:

I would have to say that I am more wide right than left, but it does miss on both sides.

I have also moved from being a center in my youth to a blueliner today. :D

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
John Flyers Fan said:

Myth, I find the longer th stick, the better puck control you have. There are many NHL'ers that feel that way also. Martin StLouis uses a big stick.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
lie of the pattern may have an impact on your accuracy as well. it effects the length and where you put your hands. i always find when im slumping that its best to start in the middle of the net and work my way out. that way, im always on net, and i put the onus on the goalie to make a save and not bobble a rebound. if your shot is really that far off, youll probably hit it in off the post while aiming for his belly button. good luck.

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
slats432 said:

Any thoughts?

Having a proper lie is just as important as having proper length. You might have grown taller since when you played junior many years and this will result in you needing a different lie. What lie do you have now and where is most of the wear on your blade occuring at?

Last edited:

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Accord said:
Slats, what kind of stick and what flex are you using now?
I have been using two different ones this year.

Koho Crossover 2260C Senior Hockey stick
Fiberglass reinforced aspen wood core shaft ensures lightness and durability Black ABS/Wood blade with fiberglass reinforcement increases durability and resistance

Sherwood PMP 5030 Leclair

Our most popular handcrafted wood stick features an aspen tapered core, laminated with selected imported veneers. A unique handle construction shaft bonded with solid white ash blade reinforced with woven fiberglass and kevlar provides exceptional feel and superb strength.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
slats432 said:
Sherwood PMP 5030 Leclair
ive used the leclair it it may be your problem. its a sweet toe curve but it has a 4.5 lie! that and the the bourque (4.75) is the most open lie on the market. if you dont know about lie its the angle the shaft of the stick comes up form the blade. 5.5-6.0 are average. in the old days everything was a 5 or a 6. the modano is a fiveas is the jagr (which may be your koho). does the puck feel likes its far away from you when you are stick handling? on a lie that open, if you hadnt used it before your shot would definitely be affected. ive never stopped playing, and i had trouble with the leclair. the website said it was a 5, which was a stretch for me as it was, it was a 4.5 really, and i had trouble holding the puck in tight situations and my shot was totally different. could be your problem.

rowall

Dec 2, 2004
Kelowna
slats432 said:

Any thoughts?
Something you might try as well is checking out the finish of your shot. The stick should be pointing at your target on the follow through. Sometimes you just have to go back to the basics and work on muscle memory. Tendency of most is to blame the equipment. I'm not saying that equipment isn't important, it doesn't matter how big your driver is without the proper technique your not going to hit the fairway. A hockey shot is the same as a golf shot. The finishing is the key to accuracy.

Last edited:

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
Yep, just go back to basics and shoot, shoot, shoot! The newer blades can be PART of the problems, as they are far different then they used to be 10 years ago (with all these silly heel curves and 9-iron twists in them), but once you get a bit used to your stick, you should be able to put the puck where you want all of the time. Trust your shot, and try not to hurry it, though, because then you WILL miss wide (usually to your forehand side).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad