Ansar Khan: Sproul Staying on Roster, Told to get a Place in the Area

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Interesting tidbit from Khan's latest Q&A.

Q: What happens to (Ryan) Sproul when Kronwall and Jurco come back? – Lenny

A: Sproul will remain on the roster, no danger of being waived. The club has told him to get his own place in the area.

Hard to predict when Kronwall is ready. He's been skating off and on and there's no telling when the knee will feel good enough to play.

When he's cleared, the Red Wings won't need to make any moves because they have the roster spot and he's been on the cap while on short-term injured reserve. They'll carry 13 forwards and eight defensemen.

Who sits out on D? I think it'll be an ongoing competition between Sproul, Marchenko and Ouellet.

The problem arises when Jurco is ready, following off-season back surgery. He's projected to return in mid-November. If Kronwall is back when Jurco is ready and they have no other injuries, they'll need to trim a player. Andreas Athanasiou is waiver-exempt, but I think he's playing too well to be sent down. They might be forced to waive Ouellet.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index..._on_red_wings_pursuit.html#incart_river_index

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
I would think XO could command a 5th rounder. Honestly though, I'd say there's a significant chance we have a LTIR at all times.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I don't think Kronwall will be back anytime soon. If the defense keeps playing the way it is I don't think management is in any hurry to get him into the lineup.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I would think XO could command a 5th rounder. Honestly though, I'd say there's a significant chance we have a LTIR at all times.

Rather keep ouellet if that's the best. 5th rounders are basically nothing. He's still only 23 or 24 chance he could become a top 4

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Rather keep ouellet if that's the best. 5th rounders are basically nothing. He's still only 23 or 24 chance he could become a top 4

Opposed to waiving him, I'd take that 5th rounder. I don't XO makes it back to Grand Rapids. Many have said XO is similar to Vlasic/Hamhuis for years. Never saw it. Always got exposed with bigger minutes. I'm not ready to give up on him either though. He has potential. His skating needs to get better. That's been the big thing on him.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I was severely disappointed with him up until last year in GR where he finally seemed to settle down. It was almost like he made peace with not being the best of the best like he was in juniors and really amped up his focus. He wasn't astounding in GR but I think he really became a viable NHL candidate for the first time last year.

Couldn't have come at a better time. I think there were a number of us who hoped he wouldn't be waived simply because his skill-set is so valuable. Glad he gets to stick around. Hopefully he gets a long leash and hopefully people don't expect too much too quick.

Anyone have any NHL comparisons so far? He reminds me a bit of a bigger Dennis Wideman.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
I was severely disappointed with him up until last year in GR where he finally seemed to settle down. It was almost like he made peace with not being the best of the best like he was in juniors and really amped up his focus. He wasn't astounding in GR but I think he really became a viable NHL candidate for the first time last year.

Couldn't have come at a better time. I think there were a number of us who hoped he wouldn't be waived simply because his skill-set is so valuable. Glad he gets to stick around. Hopefully he gets a long leash and hopefully people don't expect too much too quick.

Anyone have any NHL comparisons so far? He reminds me a bit of a bigger Dennis Wideman.

Dennis Wideman has really good puck moving skills though. Wideman has 50 point seasons under his belt too. XO isn't super physical, though not soft and isn't a great skater. Mike Weaver comparison maybe? He was a number four in his peak. What about a smaller Jonathan Ericsson?

During his stints with Detroit though, he's shown some offensive flare.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Opposed to waiving him, I'd take that 5th rounder. I don't XO makes it back to Grand Rapids. Many have said XO is similar to Vlasic/Hamhuis for years. Never saw it. Always got exposed with bigger minutes. I'm not ready to give up on him either though. He has potential. His skating needs to get better. That's been the big thing on him.

That's true I forgot about waiving

Top Shelfer

Bingo Bango!
Dec 22, 2008
The Motor City
Jurco and Sheahan I wouldn't miss. Kronwall health at his age with career of many injuries and two more seasons contracted for big bucks is no good.
Can't afford to expose Ouellet to waivers. Steady defenseman to valuable in this league especially when half of ours currently stink.
Ouellet is not flashy but the stay at home defenseman that goes unnoticed mostly is doing his job well. Agree with others here as he is not very physical but strong enough to finish checks and seems to have good puck moving sense which often can't be said for Errorson, Smith and barely NHL material marchenko.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
I don't think Kronwall will be back anytime soon. If the defense keeps playing the way it is I don't think management is in any hurry to get him into the lineup.

This. With Kronwall out, it solves our salary cap issues. It allows for members of our defensive core to work in different roles and at different levels of ice time that they normally wouldn't. This has helped greatly in some instances like on the powerplay. It has helped provide the opportunity for younger members like Sproul to gain experience and players like Smith and Ericsson to try their hand at being elder statesmen. And honestly the chemistry of the core right now is very high.

And it certainly can't hurt Kronwall either to rest, and recover and try to bring himself slowly back to get some mobility back. I have no issue at all if he were to come back mid year, rested and engaged and in time for a strong playoff push. It's like our own trade deadline already pre planned. Haha

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
This. With Kronwall out, it solves our salary cap issues. It allows for members of our defensive core to work in different roles and at different levels of ice time that they normally wouldn't. This has helped greatly in some instances like on the powerplay. It has helped provide the opportunity for younger members like Sproul to gain experience and players like Smith and Ericsson to try their hand at being elder statesmen. And honestly the chemistry of the core right now is very high.

And it certainly can't hurt Kronwall either to rest, and recover and try to bring himself slowly back to get some mobility back. I have no issue at all if he were to come back mid year, rested and engaged and in time for a strong playoff push. It's like our own trade deadline already pre planned. Haha
Kronwall isn't on LTIR, he's not saving them any salary cap space currently

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013

That's nice for Sproul, but what about AA?

An interesting article on NHL numbers.com questioning why Holland and Blashill seem to "tolerate" AA on this team, rather than "adoring " him when he's been a real team player, and contributing nightly at both ends. He sure comes across as a good guy and humble on his interviews. I don't think the fans "get it" either.

He's a fan favorite for sure at the Joe.
Have they made the same commitment to him?

theexile1985

Apr 24, 2016
Dennis Wideman has really good puck moving skills though. Wideman has 50 point seasons under his belt too. XO isn't super physical, though not soft and isn't a great skater. Mike Weaver comparison maybe? He was a number four in his peak. What about a smaller Jonathan Ericsson?

During his stints with Detroit though, he's shown some offensive flare.

I think Reddwit was talking about Sproul rather than XO.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
This team looks better without Kronwall. I'm sure he'll get his shot when he's cleared to play but can you honestly say they miss him? He was pretty bad last year. I'd be fine if they Mule'd him and paid him not to play.

Jurco has shown nothing. I was one of the people pushing to give him a shot when Sheahan and Nyquist were added to the roster and the truth of the matter is his game has not translated to the NHL. I'd have no problem waiving him, Atahanasiou is already a better player than him with only scraps of playing time. Demoting Atahanasiou to keep Jurco is the type of awful roster management and depth we've come to expect from Holland. Here's hoping this year is different we actually reward people who are good at playing hockey at the NHL level.

Great news on Sproul, I was a fan from the day he was drafted. Having 3 RHD in Green, Sproul and Marchenko makes our defense better. If we have to lose a younger d-man it has to be Ouellet, he's not as good of a defensive d-man as Marchenko and he's a lefty. Ouellet has never lived up to his draft billing and I laugh when people compare him to ME Vlassic.

Man, if we had Bouwmeester on this defense and DeKeyser slotted in on our second pairing that would be something. We still need to improve our defense if we want to make it out of the first round of the playoffs.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Jurco is a guy I'd rather not waive. I really believe the back problems have really hindered him. A 6'2 guy with his hands is the exact type of player that comes back to haunt you if you dump him on waivers. I'd at least like to give him 10 games. The guy is still only 23.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
For me, this has been one of the most interesting questions about the Wings' young season.

Sproul may be a better fit than Oullet, for the Wings, in terms of chemistry, plus Sproul is a righty. But the sample of games, at the NHL level, that we have from Sproul doesn't leave me particularly confident he is the right choice, over Oullet, if they have indeed decided.

Sproul may be the right choice, but if it's just coming down to him having one more assist than Oullet this season, his being right-handed, and the bigger of the two options, then it's a pretty tough call. Oullet may be the better skater and defender.

It doesn't seem like Marchenko is in much danger in losing his job, given the small sample of NHL games that we have from that trio, and especially from Sproul.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
For me, this has been one of the most interesting questions about the Wings' young season.

Sproul may be a better fit than Oullet, for the Wings, in terms of chemistry, plus Sproul is a righty. But the sample of games, at the NHL level, that we have from Sproul doesn't leave me particularly confident he is the right choice, over Oullet, if they have indeed decided.

Sproul may be the right choice, but if it's just coming down to him having one more assist than Oullet this season, his being right-handed, and the bigger of the two options, then it's a pretty tough call. Oullet may be the better skater and defender.

Box score watching aside, it's pretty clear Sproul brings more to the table. Sproul is also a better skater pretty easily, with 6'4" reach to go with it, and plays more physical.

Also has been our best shot generator on the back end by a good gap.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Awesome i'm glad that Sproul will be staying with the Red Wings, I still think he has potential to be a top 4 D man with the club eventually. I see him more or less as a Marek Zidlicky type both a booming right handed shot and big body that we need.

Z40

High Compete Level
Feb 10, 2012
Detroit

It doesn't seem like Marchenko is in much danger in losing his job, given the small sample of NHL games that we have from that trio, and especially from Sproul.

You've got that backward. Ouellet's skating is his biggest knock and the reason why he likely won't stick in the NHL. Sproul, on the other hand, is an exceptional skater.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Box score watching aside, it's pretty clear Sproul brings more to the table. Sproul is also a better skater pretty easily, with 6'4" reach to go with it, and plays more physical.

Also has been our best shot generator on the back end by a good gap.

I think Sproul's size and style of play should mean he is the better defensive defender between he and Oullet, but it doesn't translate that way. That suggests that Oullet is more agile, and faster to get back into position than Sproul, and so is a little bit better skater.

I'm not sure how you would quantify Sproul being "pretty easily" the better skater of the two. I think the chemistry in helping offensively with the Wings which he has shown, comes down to being right-handed and being a bit more physical. Sproul creates more gaps.
And Sproul has been the best shot generator...but realistically, only through four games.

It's a tough call.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I think Sproul's size and style of play should mean he is the better defensive defender between he and Oullet, but it doesn't translate that way. That suggests that Oullet's is more agile, and faster to get back into position than Sproul, and so is a little bit better skater.

I'm not sure how you would quantify Sproul being "pretty easily" the better skater of the two. I think the chemistry in helping offensively with the Wings which he has shown, comes down to being right-handed and being a bit more physical. Sproul creates more gaps.
And Sproul has been the best shot generator...but realistically, only through four games.

It's a tough call.

XO is known as a poor skater. Sproul is known as a good skater.

Not sure why you are arguing this. It's like arguing who is the better skater...Brendan Smith or Jonathan Ericsson.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Nope you definitely have it backwards, Sproul is by far the better skater over Ouellet. And as for a defender Sproul is definitely getting better. Ouellet is already more or less what we already have he's not that good of a skater we need more offensive defenseman we only have Green right now. I would easily take Sproul over Ouellet any day.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
XO is known as a poor skater. Sproul is known as a good skater.

Not sure why you are arguing this. It's like arguing who is the better skater...Brendan Smith or Jonathan Ericsson.

Scroll up and see who started the argument. Not me.

Plus, I didn't say either one was a good skater.

But while we're at it, quantify how Sproul is the better skater, if indeed he is better as you say.

If I remember correctly, the whole reason why we got to see so much of Oullet last season is because Sproul's skating wasn't ready for prime-time. I mean, he certainly would have been there otherwise, being a righty. No?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think Sproul's size and style of play should mean he is the better defensive defender between he and Oullet, but it doesn't translate that way. That suggests that Oullet is more agile, and faster to get back into position than Sproul, and so is a little bit better skater.

It's a tough call.

Ouellet understands angles and positioning better than Sproul. Sproul thinks with an attacking mentality. You can be better defensively while being a worse skater. Tons of examples of that around the league. That explains the difference more than anything.

Only way to quantify better skater is watching. I think it's pretty clear Sproul is a better skater. I think some of the reasons you suggest Ouellet is a better skater have nothing to do with skating. Just my opinion.

Sproul has no desire to be a defensive defender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->