Saskin: no cap
Daly: cap

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
Theres no point in either side agreeing to a deal before the Wed deadline. Let the pressure grow even more among the other sides' constituents. More pressure=more movement. Again, won't believe its over until Gary says its over.

And I'm not really talking about the saving of this season. I'm not against the shortened season like many are, but I could live without a season. What I don't know I could deal with is a summer of uncertainty.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
I dont think we'd have seen more NHL players heading over seas in the last week if there was much hope of an 05 NHL season.
And please dont think they dont know whats going on with the CBA negotiation process,because they do.
The only players or owners that dont know exactly where the negotiations are currently at would be ones that choose not to know,and what are the odds of anyone prefering that.

bladoww

Team of the Future
Jan 13, 2005

Someone said this earlier (and I can't take credit for it), but I think it would be funny if Bill tried the ol' Bugs bunny trick:

Bill: Cap!
Ted: No cap!

Bill Cap!
Ted: No cap!

Bill: No cap!
Ted: Cap!

Bill: Ok!
Ted: What the?!

MarkZackKarl

Jun 29, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
From CNN:

Demise is imminent
Source: Bettman to cancel rest of season Wednesday
Posted: Monday February 14, 2005 1:16PM; Updated: Monday February 14, 2005 11:01PM

Gary Bettman did not attend the last round of unsuccessful talks.
AP

Order your Time Warner Cable Online
Order and connect your Time Warner cable online using ConnectMyCable.com. Compare with...
Order your Time Warner Cable Online Road Runner High Speed Online
First 6 months for as low as $29.95 per month, free installation. No contract. Up to 70x...
Road Runner High Speed Online Road Runner
Road Runner. Stop waiting, start living. Click for availability and sign-up information.
Road Runner Cable Internet Specials
Find service then order directly from providers including Road Runner from Time Warner,...
Cable Internet Specials

NEW YORK (AP) -- With its do-or-die deadline come and gone and no deal in sight, the NHL circled Wednesday as the day it would call off what little was left of a decimated season, The Associated Press learned Monday.

Despite a last-gasp meeting Monday between the league and the players' union, commissioner Gary Bettman still planned to cancel the remaining games, a source close to the negotiations said on condition of anonymity.

The sides met well into Monday night, but the NHL said in a statement that no progress was made and that the league would have no further comment.

The NHL announced that Bettman would speak at a news conference Wednesday in New York, but declined to give details.

It would become the first major professional league in North America to lose an entire season because of a labor dispute. The Stanley Cup has been awarded every year since 1919, when a flu epidemic canceled the finals.

But more than two-thirds of the season and the All-Star game already have been lost to a lockout that started Sept. 16. The major stumbling block to an agreement has been the league's insistence on a salary cap.

Bettman said the sides needed to start putting a deal on paper by last weekend if the NHL was going to hold a 28-game season and a full 16-team playoff. The regular season normally is 82 games.

"It is clear to me that if we're not working on a written document by this weekend, I don't see how we can play any semblance of a season," Bettman said last week. "Obviously we will listen to everything the union has to say, but we've given all we can give and gone as far as we can go."

Even a session with a federal mediator Sunday in Washington couldn't produce an agreement.

But the league initiated more talks Monday, the source said. Only NHL chief legal officer Bill Daly and union senior director Ted Saskin were present, two other sources close to the negotiations told the AP on condition of anonymity.

Bettman said the 30 NHL teams need to have cost certainty to survive and the only way he could guarantee that was with a salary cap that linked league revenues to player costs.

The league has said teams lost $273 million in 2002-03 and $224 million last season, and an economic study commissioned by the NHL found that players get 75 percent of league revenues. The union has challenged those figures.

A cap was an automatic deal-breaker for the union even though it agreed that the financial landscape was flawed. The players' association contended that there are many other ways to fix it.

"There is no question the system has to change," said New Jersey Devils president Lou Lamoriello, who took part in earlier negotiating sessions. "We just have to keep working to find a solution. It's unfortunate we have to come this.

"If the season does end, we can't stop. We have to continue working at this and get it rectified as soon as we possibly can."

Monday, the 152nd day of the lockout, was to have been the last day of the All-Star break; the festivities in Atlanta were called off months earlier. So far, 824 of the 1,230 regular-season games have been lost.

"Everybody has to take responsibility," Lamoriello said.

The sides have traded proposals throughout the lockout, but the salary cap has always been the sticking point. Other issues such as arbitration, revenue-sharing, and rookie caps never reached the true negotiating stage because the sides couldn't agree on the big issue.

In recent days, the union and league seemed adamant that they wouldn't budge.

"We're done," Saskin said Thursday after talks broke off.

On Sunday, Daly said: "We will not be reaching out to them."
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/hockey/nhl/02/14/bc.hkn.nhllockout.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

ugh.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
waffledave said:
He said that if you got the 30 teams together and held a vote, we'd be playing hockey by now.

What a joke. Not a chance in hell.

It's a simple principle, which eludes the players: The owner's stance is good for a majority of the teams. Big teams, little teams, they almost all benefit by a cap. The player's stance, only really helps a small section of the PA, those making the big bucks. Joe Schmoe making a million bucks is unhurt by an overall cap.

The owners would agree to a vote in a second if that's what was needed to get the players to vote.

sidelines

Ok, Brendan Shanahan held a summit earlier with idea's how to improve the game. How come someone (perhaps Trevor Linden) didn't organize a summit where all the GM's and owners attended, all the player reps and any players who wanted to, and a couple higher up's in the NHL and NHLPA to find out everyone's opinion? This would have gave everyone a lot clearer idea where everyone was on the issue.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Mr. Newsflash Man said:
Ok, Brendan Shanahan held a summit earlier with idea's how to improve the game. How come someone (perhaps Trevor Linden) didn't organize a summit where all the GM's and owners attended, all the player reps and any players who wanted to, and a couple higher up's in the NHL and NHLPA to find out everyone's opinion? This would have gave everyone a lot clearer idea where everyone was on the issue.
Forget that buddy, Shanahan got together with those guys and proposed some radical changes... moving the game to grass to appease the "ignorant" american fan, introduce what he called "sticks with nets", and get with the 21st century and utilize a ball, not a puck.

he came to one conclusion, the game he wants to play has been wrong all along: He's a lacrosse player!

Vomiting Kermit*

lmao

These guys (owners, players) are a joke. This has to be one of the worst negotiating process ever... if they want a deal so ****ing bad and time is running out, why weren't Bettman and Goodenow ****ing present at the ****ing meetings? God, **** them. I don't care if there is a season this year because it will be extremely short... all I want is a CBA put in place so next season is guaranteed. I'd be surprised if that ****ing happens. :madfire: :madfire: :madfire:

ResidentAlien*

York16 said:
lmao

These guys (owners, players) are a joke. This has to be one of the worst negotiating process ever... if they want a deal so ****ing bad and time is running out, why weren't Bettman and Goodenow ****ing present at the ****ing meetings? God, **** them. I don't care if there is a season this year because it will be extremely short... all I want is a CBA put in place so next season is guaranteed. I'd be surprised if that ****ing happens. :madfire: :madfire: :madfire:

**** ** **** ** **** **** * *** ******* ******* * ** |

and I mean it

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
York16 said:
lmao

R-R-R-Rant thread!

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
DR said:
i need someone to explain this ...

how do you sit in a room and make no progress ? i mean, why not just get up and leave ?

5 hours later ...

I mean what else can they talk about for hours on end if they are not making progress ?

It cant be possible.

dr

Your mind can't comprehend it because you've never met douchebags of this calibre before.

ResidentAlien*

The Fox affliate here in seattle just reported on their 10:30 newscast that the NHL season is officially cancelled tomorrow, unless, as the astute sport guru points out, they are going to have a 4 game season..ya see what a transplanted Resident Alien has to put up with??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->