Sportsnet Reports Meeting Over, No Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
NHL statement:

"NEW YORK (February 14, 2005) - Bill Daly, NHL Executive Vice President and Chief Legal Officer, met for several hours today with Ted Saskin, Senior Director of Business and Licensing Affairs for the NHL Players' Association. No progress was made in the collective bargaining process. There will be no further comment."

CH Wizard

Very interesting at this point.I think , it's not over yet but it's very close to be the end though.If they want a press conference wednesday it means they planned to meet tommorow (I hope , they'll for like 5 hours), again.So , if they won't make some progress tommorow , wednesday the season will be cancelled for sure.

IT'S STILL NOT OVER !

creative giant*

I'm so optimistic that even if they cancel the season I'm still going to believe that there will be a season.

:dunce:

NewBreed19

They could be just fine tuning the deal by getting Bettmen and Goodenow to give their ok's to everything. They must ultimatley due the deal. I think that is why we get the no progress today! Tuesday will be the day that it's a done deal and lockout ending progress is made. Did you all really think that they would announce a deal without Bettmen and Goodenow being involved? I think that they will finalize everything that went on and was agreed to in principle Tuesday; from what went on in todays meeting. ;)

x-bob

Jul 9, 2004
Montreal
shekki said:
I'm so optimistic that even if they cancel the season I'm still going to believe that there will be a season.

:dunce:

lol....I understand what you're syaing. Wel...I think I do :help:

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
Tuggy said:
Good. Cancel the damn season already so I don't have to listen/read all the crap from TV and people on here. Forget about this season and make sure we are started in September. Now all these noobs will stop slowing down the boards

If they do cancel the season, you'll be hearing and seeing more crap for months on this.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Munchausen said:
What!? You mean I've worked on my "welcome back NHL" banner all day for nothing?

:lol Best post I've read in a while :handclap:

Luc Labelle said:
This is delightful news. With the pressure clearly on today I was nervous we would hear talk of the NHL comprising in the area of cost certainty. With the statement made of no progress that means they are still holding firm on the most important facet of a new deal and trying to negotiate on other points.

or maybe NO PROGRESS means NO PROGESS...

Listen if either side caves now they will be eaten alive by the media and I seriously doubt Bettman or Goodenow are looking to open that can of worms. More people are expecting the season to cancel (and already accepted) then people that think there will a deal reached. It's already halfway through February, so they reach a deal by Wednesday (the 16th). So....they have to get their rinks back ready to go, hire back their staff, make up a schedule, get all the players back from Europe, sign about 200+ free agents, have some sort of training camp...more and more. So what that takes us into March and they wouldn't even of played a game yet?

Fish

Feb 27, 2002
www.outsidethegarden.com
Don't believe anything you hear or read at this stage...the only thing that matters is that Wednesday 1pm announcement...which I have a feeling will be moved again before this is out.

CH Wizard

cleduc said:
If they do cancel the season, you'll be hearing and seeing more crap for months on this.

Well , I agree with Tuggy.Is it just me or they're making fun of us ? They seem to play with our emotions.

The ''After 5 hours of meeting , we didn't make progress'' crap is annoying.

How many time , they had to discuss ? They wasted some key time for sure.That's not excusable.

Wpg Jets

Mar 1, 2002
OH! CANADA!!
Visit site
I have just one question. How do you meet with the same people over a dozen times since sept and have no progress? Ever! I mean I know both sides have dug in there heels and all but It's BS that nothing has come of these meetings, Or they wouldn't bother meeting anymore. I think that if we looked back at what both sides where not willing to give up in Sept and then looked at todays not willing to give up lists they would be vwry different. Therefore YES!!!! ther hasbeen progress just not an agreement! I truley Beleieve the league has been doing everything not to cancel the season b./c they realize it will kill the industry in the long run. And the playuers realize this and are calling Gary's bluff! But now gary has to either ***** or get off the pot. And he's in a corner(eating that stupid pizza they always show him eating!) and he just might have to do what he and everyone else invloved don't want him to do(cancel the season) just to prove a point! I'm really sick of this thing. It makes no sense at all these are friggin adults acting like children ighting over a toy! Everyone already knows no one will win this war! A lot of damage is already benn done! Grow up and get it done! :mad: :mad: :mad:

NewBreed19

Don't read to much into the no progress mumbo jumbo, they will get the deal done tuesday !! They are not wanting to be the ones known for destroying hockey. They already have a deal outlined, but need Tuesday to complete the rest of the deal in principle. Watch it will happen with Goodenow and Bettmen getting into it. They didn't meet for several hours to hand out valentine cards and give eachother hugs and kisses!! :lol

bladoww

Team of the Future
Jan 13, 2005
You know really, if I was in Bill or Ted's (bogus journey ;) ) shoes, well first, we wouldn't be in this situation. I would have sat in a room for weeks on end if I had to to solve this problem.

With that being said I think that if I had a choice, when facing the media after a meeting like this I would also say there was "no progress." Simply because if I were to say "progress made" the media would be all over it like stink on a monkey. Everyone on the face of this earth that covers sports would be saying the NHL is back - then of course Murphy's law kicks in... the bottom falls out and then the season gets cancelled. That's when the shiat would really hit the fan.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
bladoww said:
You know really, if I was in Bill or Ted's (bogus journey ;) ) shoes, well first, we wouldn't be in this situation. I would have sat in a room for weeks on end if I had to to solve this problem.

With that being said I think that if I had a choice, when facing the media after a meeting like this I would also say there was "no progress." Simply because if I were to say "progress made" the media would be all over it like stink on a monkey. Everyone on the face of this earth that covers sports would be saying the NHL is back - then of course Murphy's law kicks in... the bottom falls out and then the season gets cancelled. That's when the shiat would really hit the fan.
Word... i definitely thought when you said Bill and Ted, you meant Bill and Ted from Bill and Ted's Excellent adventure, as in you wanted to go back in time with a phone booth and lock everyone in the door, and possibly bring back Abe Lincoln to hunt down Brian Burke for his joke

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Secret's out...

These last 5 months of 'negotiations'?

One giant double-knockout Warcraft III tournament.

Considering the amount of constructive work these jokers have done, they may as well have been setting up LAN parties... :shakehead

CH Wizard

Fish said:
Don't believe anything you hear or read at this stage...the only thing that matters is that Wednesday 1pm announcement...which I have a feeling will be moved again before this is out.

Yep , we never know.We don't know a lot of things , we should wait to this press conference before jumping to the conclusions , too fast.

The question is if they'll save the season , how thses NHLers in Europe will come here that fast to play here ? It'd be insane.PLus many teams didn't sign many fa's to fill their roster.So,is the only option here is to fill this league for now by the REPLACEMENT players??????

Shadow Journal

Non, je ne regrette rien
Jun 20, 2003
Can someone tell me what Steve Begin said in the clip on sports centre a few minutes ago? He said something about 30 teams, a secret vote, and playing hockey by now. Anyone know the exact quote?

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Jack Black said:
Can someone tell me what Steve Begin said in the clip on sports centre a few minutes ago? He said something about 30 teams, a secret vote, and playing hockey by now. Anyone know the exact quote?

He said that if you got the 30 teams together and held a vote, we'd be playing hockey by now.

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
I agree with Wpg Jets. How is it possible for the two sides to meet so often and not make any progress? To me it either means they just kept saying cap/no cap for hours on end or they just sat there and did nothing. It's hard to imagine either scenerio being the case. Perhaps the real reason they are telling us there hasn't been any progress is because they just don't want to comment on the meetings to the media.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Digger12 said:
Secret's out...

These last 5 months of 'negotiations'?

One giant double-knockout Warcraft III tournament.

Considering the amount of constructive work these jokers have done, they may as well have been setting up LAN parties... :shakehead

:lol

:yo:

jratelle19

Jul 3, 2004
New York
From what I understand, none of the principles (Saskin, Daly etc) made the statement to the press. It was made by the PR dept. This, IMO, is just a way to keep the reporters off their backs until something is known for certain.

Brent Burns Beard