Sportsnet:NHL will come off $42.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewBreed19

Sportsnet is really grasping at straws! They just took a stab a guessing that the NHL would go up to 45 mill. I smell bull **** coming from their side. :shakehead

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
oil slick said:
This is awesome. It's like overtime in game 7. I just cracked open a beer... gonna sit back and enjoy.

DALY MOVES IN ALONE, HE SHOOTS, SASKIN MAKES THE SAVE BUT BETTMAN SCORES ON THE REBOUND, NHL WINS!!

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
2 different media outlets reporting 2 different things. Great.

Whenever this happens, something is usually going on.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Sportsnet has got to be the worst news source in the history of sports news.

I cant count the number of times theyve jumped the gun :mad:

Lorenzo1000

Sep 8, 2003
Winnipeg
Dr Love said:
The $42.5M included benefits, per Bettman's first letter. Actually it was 42.2 with 2.2 being the benefits.

The NHLPA $49M did not include benefits.

Sorry wrongo Mr Moderator:

Dear Bob:

We attempted to reach out to you with yesterday's offer of a team maximum cap of $42.2MM ($40MM in salary and $2.2MM in benefits) which was not linked to League-wide revenues. As Bill told Ted, "de-linking" a maximum team salary cap from League revenues and total League-wide player compensation has always been problematic for us, especially since we cannot now quantify the damage to the League from the lockout. This presents the risk we will pay out more than we can afford. As you know, if all 30 teams were to spend to the maximum we proposed, and if the damage to our business is as we discussed at our meetings in New York, then the League would continue to lose money.

I know, as do you, that the "deal" we can make will only get worse for the players if we cancel the season - whatever damage we have suffered to date will pale in comparison to the damage from a cancelled season and we will certainly not be able to afford what is presently on the table. Accordingly, I am making one final effort to reach out to make a deal that will let us play this season.

We are increasing our offer of yesterday by increasing the maximum individual team cap to :teach: $44.7MM ($42.5MM in salary and $2.2MM in benefits). :teach: This offer is not an invitation to begin negotiations - it's too late for that. This is our last effort to make a deal that's fair to the players and one that the Clubs (hopefully) can afford. We have no more flexibility and there is no time for further negotiation.

If this offer is acceptable, please let me know by 11:00 A.M. tomorrow, in advance of my scheduled press conference. Hopefully, the press conference will not be necessary.

Sincerely,

Gary B. Bettman
Commissioner

crossxcheck

Nov 17, 2003
Nashvegas
whatever. this whole "memo" business is pure posturing and nothing more. both sides have used to media to put pressure on the other side during this entire process.

NewBreed19

broadwayblue said:
i don't believe that they aren't talking. both sides have too much to lose to just walk away.
I think that it's done ( I mean the season). There is no way Bettmen goes up to 45mill. :madfire:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
this is stupid. bettman continues to show his incompetance.

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
broadwayblue said:
i don't believe that they aren't talking. both sides have too much to lose to just walk away.
Exactly... if the NHL did not want the media to know anything about those memos before their Press-Conference, the media would have not idea... the NHL gave the info to the media to put even more pressure on the union...

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
westcoast said:
In my mind it is these stupid 'crazy 8' monkeys that are the enemy at this point. The players and the majority of owners could easily come to an agreement at this point without these 8 whiners. I actually hope the NHLPA proposes a 45 million dollar hard cap figure and that Bettman tells these 8 owners to shut it and take it. There has been a lot of animosity towards the players, but I'm starting to target these 8 idiotic owners as the main reason the season is cancelled if we loose it today. :mad:
You don't seriously think that only EIGHT teams are pushing a cap issue? I think the number is closer to 20.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
go kim johnsson said:
this is stupid. bettman continues to show his incompetance.

rrrrrrrrright...it's bettman's fault. oh, and the word is incompetence :teach:

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
NewBreed19 said:
I think that it's done ( I mean the season). There is no way Bettmen goes up to 45mill. :madfire:

but why wouldn't he? if he agrees he wins. he gets the cap he wanted all along and at a lot less than the players wanted when they finally agreed to the cap they said they would never accept.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
neelynugs said:
rrrrrrrrright...it's bettman's fault. oh, and the word is incompetence :teach:

it is. the players gave him a cap, and now he's *****ing that it's not low enough. Would you ask your mom to borrow money, but it wasn't enough so you didn't take any of it. That's just silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad