sportsnet: canadian training camp invite list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Gretzky said he wouldn't invite Crosby to the camp, and said that it was unlikely he would make the team. He hasn't played a pro game, and until he does, I agree with Gretzky.

Unless Crosby is absoultely impressive in the first few months of the season, he shouldn't be on the team. Even though he is a highly touted prospect, the Olympics are hugely important for this country, and there will be many established NHLers who deserve a shot before Crosby does. Crosby will get his turn, but unless he really establishes himself early in 2005, he will have to wait until 2010.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I'd be shocked if Crosby made the team no matter what he did. Let's keep in mind Team Canada didn't take Rick Nash after co-winning the Richard.

espo*

Where's Kariya? You'd think he was 42 and in the twilight of his career.He can still play for God's sake.1 subpar year does this? I don't agree at all.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Being off this list doesn't mean jack when it comes to the real team. Bertuzzi will most definitely be considered for this team if he is reinstated. Crosby will be considered if he is amazing in the first few months. If Kariya is back he could very well be invited too, but I doubt it. Too many new players who are huge and skilled, ei. Thornton, Bertuzzi, Nash, Heatley etc.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Le Golie said:
Being off this list doesn't mean jack when it comes to the real team. Bertuzzi will most definitely be considered for this team if he is reinstated. Crosby will be considered if he is amazing in the first few months. If Kariya is back he could very well be invited too, but I doubt it. Too many new players who are huge and skilled, ei. Thornton, Bertuzzi, Nash, Heatley etc.

I don't think that's true whatsoever. Clearly, these are the guys that they prefer on the team, and if it came down to a player on this list, and one who wasn't, the player who went to camp would more likely get the spot.

In 2001, several players had good starts to the season (Burke and Theodore come to mind, considering the fact that Belfour was struggling heavily that season). However, when the announcement on the 2002 Olympic team was made in December, every single player announced was at the camp, held in August 2001 in Calgary... The camp may not be final, and no matter what Gretzky and Lowe say, these are the guys they want on the team.

espo*

Le Golie said:
Yeah but Morrow and no Kariya? I don't get that.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Tricolore#20 said:
I don't think that's true whatsoever. Clearly, these are the guys that they prefer on the team, and if it came down to a player on this list, and one who wasn't, the player who went to camp would more likely get the spot.

In 2001, several players had good starts to the season (Burke and Theodore come to mind, considering the fact that Belfour was struggling heavily that season). However, when the announcement on the 2002 Olympic team was made in December, every single player announced was at the camp, held in August 2001 in Calgary... The camp may not be final, and no matter what Gretzky and Lowe say, these are the guys they want on the team.

HELLO JEROME IGINLA. http://www.hockeycanada.ca/e/news/2001/nr070.html

Last edited:

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
cyclops said:
Yeah but Morrow and no Kariya? I don't get that.

Kariya doesn't make a very good fourth line checker. There are no spaces left for one dimensional offensive players, Kariya is not among the top 15 or so in Canada anymore. There are players like Morrow and Peca who can't touch Kariya offensively, but they aren't invited to camp to show off their sweet hands. They are there to fill a role that Kariya can't.

Whether there is room on the team for role players remains to be seen, I really doubt it with all the physical and defensively responsable scoring talent I see.

espo*

Le Golie said:
Kariya doesn't make a very good fourth line checker. There are no spaces left for one dimensional offensive players, Kariya is not among the top 15 or so in Canada anymore. There are players like Morrow and Peca who can't touch Kariya offensively, but they aren't invited to camp to show off their sweet hands. They are there to fill a role that Kariya can't.

Whether there is room on the team for role players remains to be seen, I really doubt it with all the physical and defensively responsable scoring talent I see.
Peca sure.........but Morrow? I've seen nothing for him that would warrant him being in any checking role for us from the international tourneys he's played wearing the maple leaf.There is about ten guys who could do his "checking" role from what i've seen of him. As for Kariya not being top 15 from Canada anymore.................don't write him off that list quite yet,the skills are certainly still there without question.Don't forget too that his skills are paramount on the big ice.I also would'nt be surprised he would have a better tourney in Torino then a guy like Bertuzzi.I don't believe Kariya is over the hill at all.I know it seems many disagree with this but i think he's going to prove people wrong next year.

I like your point that there may be no room for role players this time around..........good point.Why do you think Madden never gets a sniff on our teams?

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Le Golie said:
I'm just showing you that not being on the original invite list doesn't mean jack. He was an afterthought added to fill a hole and he played his way onto the top line. My point still stands.

Point taken.

Is this the actual list, or is this Sportsnet just speculating. TSN suggests the list will be out tomorrow, and haven't jumped on the names.

EDIT: Nevermind, TSN has the list up now.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
cyclops said:
Peca sure.........but Morrow? I've seen nothing for him that would warrant him being in any checking role for us from the international tourneys he's played wearing the maple leaf.There is about ten guys who could do his "checking" role from what i've seen of him. As for Kariya not being top 15 from Canada anymore.................don't write him off that list quite yet,the skills are certainly still there without question.Don't forget too that his skills are paramount on the big ice.I also would'nt be surprised he would have a better tourney in Torino then a guy like Bertuzzi.I don't believe Kariya is over the hill at all.I know it seems many disagree with this but i think he's going to prove people wrong next year.

I like your point that there may be no room for role players this time around..........good point.Why do you think Madden never gets a sniff on our teams?
I totally agree. Doan, Malby, Draper and Peca are enough. Morrow is very average, there's NOTHING special about the guy. I don't know why Hockey Canada keeps calling him up. I am baffled that Kariya won't even get an invite for the camp. On the big ice, I believe he could be more efficient than Bertuzzi the idiot (and I'm not referring to the Moore incident).

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Canuck21t said:
I totally agree. Doan, Malby, Draper and Peca are enough. Morrow is very average, there's NOTHING special about the guy. I don't know why Hockey Canada keeps calling him up. I am baffled that Kariya won't even get an invite for the camp. On the big ice, I believe he could be more efficient than Bertuzzi the idiot (and I'm not referring to the Moore incident).

Morrow won't be on the final line up I'd not be too worried about this.

I'm glad Tanguay was there. It's near time they called him, he should have made the last WC squad, it was crystal clear Canada had too many grinders and not enough scorers.

The bottom line is there will be injuries to key guys but also look at this

Tanguay/Gagne-Sakic-Iginla
Nash-Thornton-Tanguay/Gagne
Richards-Lecavalier-St-Louis
Draper-Primeau-Smyth

I don't see the need for Kariya, Lemieux, Yzerman. 3 unbelievably talented and dominant scoring lines, the way it should be + 1 talented grinding line. Primeau has to be in this time, altough, on the big ice, maybe it's not the best choice. He would have been perfect for last september though. Anyway, Primeau still gets there and at any rates he's the biggest guy on this squad and could wreak a lot of havoc in front of many other countries' net.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
All 26 players who were on Canada's roster for the World Cup are on this team. (Including Maltby and Marleau, who never saw a shift). All eight defencemen are invited. Also invited were Yzerman, Pronger and Blake, who dropped out due to injury. The only players on this list who didn't play in the World Cup or World Championship (excluding those who dropped out) are Peca, Primeau and Tanguay. All four goalies played in either the World Cup or World Championship.

Canada can only take 13 forwards and seven defencemen to Turin, compared to 15 and 8 for the World Cup. I don't think Marleau, Morrow and Maltby will be back for Turin due to the numbers game, and Nash's immenent promotion to the Olys. Pronger, Blake, Redden, Foote and Niedermayer are all locks for the defence. Jovo and Brewer will likely fill the No. 6 and 7 spots.

A final roster may look like this:
Lemieux-Sakic-Iginla
Nash-Thornton-Gagne
Richards-Lecavalier-Heatley
Line 4: Smyth/St. Louis-Draper-Doan
13th: St. Louis/Smyth/Yzerman (for leadership and clutch scoring more than anything else).

Foote-Niedermayer
Blake-Pronger
Jovanovski-Redden
Brewer

Of course, a lot can change between now and Turin. Bertuzzi can be re-instated. Kariya can rediscover the touch that has been missing for much of the last five years. (Right now, he doesn't deserve to be at camp). Unless Crosby is top 10 in scoring when the final roster is announced (which he won't) he's not going anywhere. I don't think Brewer's a lock by any stretch, and if he falters, and a guy like Hannan/Bouwmeester/Boyle/Phillips, or even a Morris, McCabe or Souray has a great start, Brewer could be on the outside.

Remember, after the camp in 2001, Tanguay, Primeau, Recchi and Turgeon were all considered locks to make the team. They didn't.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Hedberg16 said:
Where's Bertuzzi?

Bertuzzi's a black eye for the game of hockey why would Canada want him to represent them in the Olympics, remember the olympics are a showcase for sportsmanship and athletic competition not Goon-thugery

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
CornKicker said:
Bertuzzi's a black eye for the game of hockey why would Canada want him to represent them in the Olympics, remember the olympics are a showcase for sportsmanship and athletic competition not Goon-thugery

When the NHL rules Bertuzzi eligible to return, the IIHF will honour that re-instatement. And as soon as that happens you can expect him to be right in the thick of things for a roster spot. Isolated thugery incident or not, he's one of the best players in the world.

espo*

E = CH² said:
Morrow won't be on the final line up I'd not be too worried about this.

I'm glad Tanguay was there. It's near time they called him, he should have made the last WC squad, it was crystal clear Canada had too many grinders and not enough scorers.

The bottom line is there will be injuries to key guys but also look at this

Tanguay/Gagne-Sakic-Iginla
Nash-Thornton-Tanguay/Gagne
Richards-Lecavalier-St-Louis
Draper-Primeau-Smyth

I don't see the need for Kariya, Lemieux, Yzerman. 3 unbelievably talented and dominant scoring lines, the way it should be + 1 talented grinding line. Primeau has to be in this time, altough, on the big ice, maybe it's not the best choice. He would have been perfect for last september though. Anyway, Primeau still gets there and at any rates he's the biggest guy on this squad and could wreak a lot of havoc in front of many other countries' net.
That's a good team you've got listed there.Still,would it hurt to bring guys like Kariya to camp?Anyway,it's all relative i guess because if Kariya has a turnaround year next year he'll get invited anyway i suppose.

espo*

Le Golie said:
When the NHL rules Bertuzzi eligible to return, the IIHF will honour that re-instatement. And as soon as that happens you can expect him to be right in the thick of things for a roster spot. Isolated thugery incident or not, he's one of the best players in the world.
For got to mention you were totally bang on about the Desjardins kid from Rimouski.As the tourney progressed you could see the flaws from him that you mentioned.He dazzles you with some highlight reel saves every game but the rest of his arsenal is average and he is inconsistent while allowing soft goals.Nice read.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
cyclops said:
That's a good team you've got listed there.Still,would it hurt to bring guys like Kariya to camp?Anyway,it's all relative i guess because if Kariya has a turnaround year next year he'll get invited anyway i suppose.

Yes, it all comes down to who's having the best season up until december for me. If Kariya is among the leading scorers it's a mistake not to invite him. Just like it was a mistake not to invite Nash back in september. We still won the whole thing, but that doesn't mean we iced the best team possible.

Like I said, bring on the hottest players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad