Sportsnet: At best, almost two weeks will pass between meetings

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
handtrick said:
Why don't you just change the title of this thread to "Is Bettman's Jewishness the reason there are no new meetings for two weeks"......the thread has become totally absurd and bordering on being racist.... :shakehead ....and that comes from a goy.

Not racist, just making the point that there are more reasons for not meeting than Goodenow might be stalling...as it's something the pro-owners love to rip him on.

Patman

Feb 23, 2004
www.stat.uconn.edu
Beukeboom Fan said:
Is it jumping to conclusions if the NHL has requested 13 meeting over the next 15 business days and the PA can't find the time to meet for at least three of the dates (assuming that the league doesn't have more than one meeting per day).

I've tried to be pretty balanced, but this seems to be a pretty strong indicator that the PA is trying to avoiding serious negotiations.

Again, to point how sad this whole state of affairs is... the closer the NHL gets to either cancelling the draft, postponing training camp, or delaying the season the more leverage the PA gains. It is in Goodenow's best interest to drag this out to the leverage points so he can get the most gain if there is to be a deal. Essentially there is no reason why the PA should attempt to make a deal until September other than for the point of posturing.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Patman said:
Essentially there is no reason why the PA should attempt to make a deal until September other than for the point of posturing.

Has the deal gotten any better for the PA over the winter? The short answer is no -- the deal has either stayed the same or gotten worse, depending on your viewpoint. How is the deal going to get any better for them over the summer? It won't. The 'PA has spent the last seven months looking for leverage, and hasn't found any yet. They won't find any over the summer either. Their best bet here is to simply get into a room, sign the best deal they can, and allow their members to get on with planning their lives and earning a living.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
^^

People keep on saying this. I just don't understand it. The current concept that is being discussed is better than what was on the table over the winter. Any deal that gets signed is going to be better than what we saw from the league in the past. It's not worlds better, but it's better. Too many pro-owner people have mantras that they just keep repeating, whether they are true or not.

Patman

Feb 23, 2004
www.stat.uconn.edu
Larionov said:
Has the deal gotten any better for the PA over the winter? The short answer is no -- the deal has either stayed the same or gotten worse, depending on your viewpoint. How is the deal going to get any better for them over the summer? It won't. The 'PA has spent the last seven months looking for leverage, and hasn't found any yet. They won't find any over the summer either. Their best bet here is to simply get into a room, sign the best deal they can, and allow their members to get on with planning their lives and earning a living.

I'm hardly pro-player. The deal hasn't gotten worse... why? Because there is no deal. We definately percieve that it is worse due to what we about believe the economic damage is to this point... and I don't disagree that this could have been done earlier with a lot less harm at say $39-$40 mill. The problem is that the union isn't working for a deal or the best deal... they are working for their deal and this is how they are going to get their deal done. They don't care about the longer standing health of hockey... the point is to extract as much money as they can out of what we percieve to be a stone. I'm sure if Goodenow and other PA folks talked honestly (CONJECTURE) their position would be that owners come and go and the teams won't fold (too expensive to fold) so they might as well squeeze as much as they can out of a team before they are bought by another group and squeeze the life out of them. The goal is the most money, not the health of hockey. I have no trust in the owners either as their ridiculous rule proposals show they are no true stewards of the game either but this appears to be the state of things are now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->