Sportsnet: Agents invited to table

Status
Not open for further replies.

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
How many players actually went to that meeting in december and how many will show up for this one...???

Shainsaw

Feb 15, 2005
I hope the agents will have some touph questions for Bob. Bob will be preaching the same evils of the NHL we have heard all year, why a cap is bad and so on. I hope one of the agents or one of the players for that matter stands up and asks "How does this offer get any better?". Mabe the answer will sound something like this.

"Well if we just hold out long enouph one of three things will happen:

1. The NHL will come clean and stop hiding the other billion dollors they made last year. This mean they can pay us what we are really worth and we will all be filthy rich.

2. The NHL will crumble, losing most of its teams. The good news is I would have won and only half of you would lose your jobs. Don't worry there is lots of work in Europe.

3. The NHL will bring in replacements, we can then call them scabs and through things at them for taking your jobs. Forget the fact that you took their jobs first. You may have to lose a few years pay but the NHL will realize soon enouph that it is better for the owners to lose money and watch a bunch of old guys play for money than make money and watch a bunch of 20 year olds play for the love of the game.

So don't worry boys I'm sure the NHL will take choice one so charge up those Visa's your going to make double when we go back"

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
:)

Shainsaw said:
I hope the agents will have some touph questions for Bob. Bob will be preaching the same evils of the NHL we have heard all year, why a cap is bad and so on. I hope one of the agents or one of the players for that matter stands up and asks "How does this offer get any better?". Mabe the answer will sound something like this.

"Well if we just hold out long enouph one of three things will happen:

1. The NHL will come clean and stop hiding the other billion dollors they made last year. This mean they can pay us what we are really worth and we will all be filthy rich.

2. The NHL will crumble, losing most of its teams. The good news is I would have won and only half of you would lose your jobs. Don't worry there is lots of work in Europe.

3. The NHL will bring in replacements, we can then call them scabs and through things at them for taking your jobs. Forget the fact that you took their jobs first. You may have to lose a few years pay but the NHL will realize soon enouph that it is better for the owners to lose money and watch a bunch of old guys play for money than make money and watch a bunch of 20 year olds play for the love of the game.

So don't worry boys I'm sure the NHL will take choice one so charge up those Visa's your going to make double when we go back"

Funny.... from my perspective. Im not sure what a player would think!

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
Digger12 said:
If anything, this makes it even more apparent that the players' meeting the day previous to this will simply be a cheerleading and Bettman effigy burning session...just like they did last time (December?)

And this would be different than the BOG meeting on the same day in what way???

BOG is doing the same thing, holding a cheerleading session in hopes of getting the owners who are no longer on Bettman's side back on. Rumor is there are quite a few who are pissed off that they are losing an entire season and possible a second.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Icey said:
And this would be different than the BOG meeting on the same day in what way???

Probably won't be any different, if that makes you feel any better. ;)

Now that the Big Red Cancellation Button has been pushed, both sides obviously are going to have their little 'rumour control' sessions to keep their respective constituents singing as one voice.

The only difference I would suspect will be whereas the BOG meeting will likely touch on what their next move will or should be, the NHLPA's meeting will likely be more about "what if" scenarios. Right now the PA can't do much of anything other than wait or make a new offer which they won't do, so I would say they're more in a reactionary mode...waiting to see what the NHL does and respond accordingly.

At the end of the day this is the owners' lockout. They are the ones who must ultimately decide where they want to go with this.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
What a joke. The agents have been involved right from the beginning. Every time one is interviewed on the radio it's "we proposed meaningful revenue sharing" and "we'll never accept a cap"...

Just think, of the billion plus dollars lost so far, the agents share would have been around $60 - $70 million bucks. :lol

I simply can't comprehend the idiocy in throwing this kind of cash away.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
Digger12 said:

Now that the Big Red Cancellation Button has been pushed, both sides obviously are going to have their little 'rumour control' sessions to keep their respective constituents singing as one voice.

The only difference I would suspect will be whereas the BOG meeting will likely touch on what their next move will or should be, the NHLPA's meeting will likely be more about "what if" scenarios. Right now the PA can't do much of anything other than wait or make a new offer which they won't do, so I would say they're more in a reactionary mode...waiting to see what the NHL does and respond accordingly.

At the end of the day this is the owners' lockout. They are the ones who must ultimately decide where they want to go with this.

Make me feel better? Not at all. What would make me feel better is to have Goodenow, Bettman, the owners negotiating committee and the players executive committee all replaced. No one person in that group has managed to make any headway, so I say replace them all. Get someone in there who can find some sort of middle ground.

The ONLY thing that the PA has going for it is the time with the draft. The draft will not affect the players, but it does affect the league. The league does not want to miss out on what could be the biggest draft in years. They risk Crosby going to court and having himself declared a free agent and then every other player that would have entered doing the same. Even if Crosby doesn't win, they don't want him taking this to court.

But you are right. At the end of the day this is the owners lockout and they ultimately determine the future of this sports and its survival. And unfortunately I think there are a handful of owners who could care less if they ever played another NHL and that is truly sad. Not saying the players are right, they have their points, but I think they also missed the boat big time. They could have fixed this game and came out as the one who saved the game and the league. Instead they just look just as stubborn and pigheaded as the owners.

copperandblue

Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
Digger12 said:

I don't know about that, cancelled season aside the NHL has been pretty true to the course they laid out in September. I would expect that the BOG meetings would be business as usual. Plan the next step, perhaps review the status of the clubs and try to find some wiggle room in what they are proposing.

From a PA standpoint, Goodenow can preach the evils of the NHL all he wants and that may soften some of the venom but in the end he still has to answer to the players on why he sold them out and agreed to a cap after having them buy into only a no-cap postition.

He has to totally re-program the players as far as what is deemed "best" for them. Could prove interesting. Although we will likely never hear about it.

It probably depends on the turn out though. If it's only hardliners they may just fall back in line like the good sheep they are. I think it was mentioned thatonly 100 players are expected to attend.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
PecaFan said:
What a joke. The agents have been involved right from the beginning. Every time one is interviewed on the radio it's "we proposed meaningful revenue sharing" and "we'll never accept a cap"...

Just think, of the billion plus dollars lost so far, the agents share would have been around $60 - $70 million bucks. :lol

I simply can't comprehend the idiocy in throwing this kind of cash away.

Actually I think the NHLPA-agents meeting could be the much, much more important than the NHLPA-players meeting. Most of the players that go to the NHLPA meeting will be expecting a hardline stance, those that want to cave either won't go or won't say boo.

Now the agents on the other hand are much smarter, less likely to be intimidated. The agents with larger stables of players can represent their clients without having to name names.

Agent 1: "Look Bob, I've got 30 clients and I know [insert %] of them wanted you to take the $42.5m-45m deal. I'm sure those numbers aren't unusual across the spectrum. They want to know how much longer you are going to play this game?"

Agent 2: "Those percentages look about right for me too Bob."

etc....

I'd expect the players true feelings to have a greater chance to come out through the agents meeting than the players.

Phanuthier*

Good. I firmly believe that if there is one man who can get the NHL and NHLPA through this lockout, its Don Meehan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->