GDT: Spidey Says, "Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack Mr. Ducksworth!" Devils @ Ducks, 9 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I'm still embarrassed at our team for that 5on3. Yikes that was bad.
yeah, someone said "where the PP haters at now" after we scored one, but that 5 on 3 is still just reason for me to hate Ward and his "system", if he even has one. Their long drop passes still confuse me, which is amazing, since they don't do anything to confuse the team on PK, i'd imagine

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
worst 5 on 3 i might have ever seen. "hey we have 90 seconds here, let's see how long we can avoid putting anyone in a shooting position"

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The most disturbing part of last night, and other games this season when the Devils play a physical opponent, is the result is usually the same.

That doesn't bode well for playoff hockey when the refs tend to swallow their whistle. If last night's game were played during the first week of October, the Devils would have been on the powerplay for 60 minutes. But you cant cry over that, because it's simply the reality of how ice hockey is officiated, once the calendar turns to March, fewer calls get made.

My belief, and I hope I'm wrong, is that the Devils are structured to be an October through February hockey team, not a March through June hockey team.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
alt post: "let's take our best powerplay weapon, palmieri's one timer from the circle, and completely take that away from our 2 man advantage just when we need it the most"

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
yeah, someone said "where the PP haters at now" after we scored one, but that 5 on 3 is still just reason for me to hate Ward and his "system", if he even has one. Their long drop passes still confuse me, which is amazing, since they don't do anything to confuse the team on PK, i'd imagine

I actually like the long drop pass, I think it has worked well for entries...maybe less so last game, but some of the previous games recently, i thought it was fairly effective for zone entry.

I think one thing they need to do is NOT ALWAYS USE THAT. If they have 3 solid variants that they can do at any given PP, that will keep the PK guessing. But if they only use the drop pass, it would be specifically planned against.

With things i don't like about PP, its the generally lack of fluid movement once they set up in the zone. It's not quite static, but it is not as dynamic as it SHOULD be, where most teams are creating a lot of motion chaos. I think they also rely on the single Palms shot, also a bit too much, need to find some solid alternate "go-to" as a legit plan B. Teams know that Palms is plan A always, so our plan B is more a faux threat.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The Panthers are not relocating, there is no evidence of that except speculation of people and fans who look at attendance numbers and see empty seats on TV and come on message boards and mock them by saying "Quebec!". Sound familiar?

If you don't think that the Devils and their fan base are UNFAIRLY targeted by trolls both in the region and nationally (and Canada) for being relocation targets and for having the Rangers take over their building because of what they see on TV and the perceptions they have, then I guess I don't know what to do for you.

But as someone who has been enraged and frustrated for a long time having to hear people talk about the Devils inability to sellout games, the Devils possibly moving, the Rangers fans taking over the Devils building etc over my many years as a Devils fan, I would not take those same cheap shots at another fan base.
This is starting to remind me of the “We need to be friends with the Islanders and respect them because we both hate the Rangers and are both the ugly ducklings or the NY Metro area hockey market” stuff that I see around here a lot.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
The most disturbing part of last night, and other games this season when the Devils play a physical opponent, is the result is usually the same.

That doesn't bode well for playoff hockey when the refs tend to swallow their whistle. If last night's game were played during the first week of October, the Devils would have been on the powerplay for 60 minutes. But you cant cry over that, because it's simply the reality of how ice hockey is officiated, once the calendar turns to March, fewer calls get made.

My belief, and I hope I'm wrong, is that the Devils are structured to be an October through February hockey team, not a March through June hockey team.

Devils went down early in a back-to-back game.

It's extremely difficult to dig out of those games, especially against teams that play like Anaheim does. When you don't have your legs, it'll be even harder.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Pretty low rent for a Devils fan to go after a team for relocation rumors (baseless by the way) and mock them for rangers fans being in their building when thats exactly what every other fans base does to us. Be better than that.

yeah i don't make fun of teams for their issues or relocation rumors but there isn't really a comparison between the history and foothold within their respective markets between the devils and panthers.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
alt post: "let's take our best powerplay weapon, palmieri's one timer from the circle, and completely take that away from our 2 man advantage just when we need it the most"
8EAA6E0E-90E5-451E-A318-A6E43D496819.png

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Yea I responded to that post at the time, since we scored using the set up I and many others were saying they should have used on the 5on3. :laugh:

Reactions: OmNomNom

OmNomNom

Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
mocking teams because of low attendance and speculating that they'll be relocated because of that is mean, but it's not totally baseless

low attendance clearly is bad for business, so i think it's credible, although mean, to take shots at a team when mocking them. purely from an objective standpoint.

so yeah, panthers fit that mold pretty well. i mean, i'm not one to mock them at all, but just because it was done to us doesn't mean a person from our fanbase should feel less inclined to mock them either

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
HAHa that’s the first time I’ve ever come across that picture of Ward photoshopped with a middle finger.

It’s pretty great!:laugh:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
mocking teams because of low attendance and speculating that they'll be relocated because of that is mean, but it's not totally baseless

low attendance clearly is bad for business, so i think it's credible, although mean, to take shots at a team when mocking them. purely from an objective standpoint.

so yeah, panthers fit that mold pretty well. i mean, i'm not one to mock them at all, but just because it was done to us doesn't mean a person from our fanbase should feel less inclined to mock them either
It’s really starting to remind me of the Islanders/Devils friendship nonsense. And because of that, I now hate the Islanders more than the Rangers, since I’m supposed to hate the Rangers more and since it’s actually okay for me to have the Islanders as my second favorite team as a Devils fan. :thumbd:

By the way, I know I’m guilty by association, as the poster trolling the Panthers is a real life friend of mine for over 20 years, but I don’t support relocating the Panthers. I just hate that we have to sympathize with them or that we’re not supposed to throw stones from glass houses or whatever, because we also lack attendance and have our building overrun by Rangers fans, whose team play 10 miles away.

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
mind you the devils are a small market team in a huge market, much like the islanders, and the devils and islanders are still far more popular in the nyc metro despite the rangers' existence than the panthers are in south florida.

pointing out facts shouldn't be considered mean or low-rent.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I actually like the long drop pass, I think it has worked well for entries...maybe less so last game, but some of the previous games recently, i thought it was fairly effective for zone entry.

agreed. it does work well sometimes- particularly when hall/mojo (RIP in pieces) are the recipient of the pass. but if teams know it's coming, it's very easy to defend against.

OmNomNom

Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
It’s really starting to remind me of the Islanders/Devils friendship nonsense. And because of that, I now hate the Islanders more than the Rangers, since I’m supposed to hate the Rangers more and since it’s actually okay for me to have the Islanders as my second favorite team as a Devils fan. :thumbd:

By the way, I know I’m guilty by association, as the poster trolling the Panthers is a real life friend of mine for over 20 years, but I don’t support relocating the Panthers. I just hate that we have to sympathize with them or that we’re not supposed to throw stones from glass houses or whatever, because we also lack attendance and have our building overrun by Rangers fans, whose team play 10 miles away.
i absolutely need the panthers to suddenly start sucking. if that means another playoff-less season for them, but a playoff run for us, then so be it. idc if it's another reason for them to get relocated, i'm not sacrificing our chances for some pity. relocation sucks for a fanbase in general, but blame it on the GMs and ownership for not getting their shit together.

the fact that they essentially fed vegas marchessault, reilly smith, and gallant, STILL pisses me off.

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com

we average over 1,000 more fans per game than florida despite us sucking since 2012 and sharing a market with two other teams.

also, we play two games against the rangers in newark nowadays.

OmNomNom

Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
agreed. it does work well sometimes- particularly when hall/mojo (RIP in pieces) are the recipient of the pass. but if teams know it's coming, it's very easy to defend against.
what does it even do though? other than forcing the defending team to be "tricked" into backing into their zone, allowing the trailing carrier to enter the zone easily? or am i reading the strategy wrong

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Well, not just this board, more like make the coaches second guess their own decision like "Maybe KK would have squeezed out a save on those goals..." .... because he did in the previous games he played lights out.

Put Cory in SJ, team SHOULD feel motivated and obligated to get him a good game for a win, get Bratt back in, get a win, and go home happy :)

And Cory needs to stay focused which seems to be a real problem.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
other than forcing the defending team to be "tricked" into backing into their zone, allowing the trailing carrier to enter the zone easily

pretty much. i'm assuming the 'problem' this play 'solved' was 'how do we catch their defensemen flat footed if they're using a conservative penalty kill position?'

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
i absolutely need the panthers to suddenly start sucking. if that means another playoff-less season for them, but a playoff run for us, then so be it. idc if it's another reason for them to get relocated, i'm not sacrificing our chances for some pity. relocation sucks for a fanbase in general, but blame it on the GMs and ownership for not getting their **** together.

the fact that they essentially fed vegas marchessault, reilly smith, and gallant, STILL pisses me off.
That’s what I’ve beeb touting all season.

They don’t deserve to make the playoffs after the poor mismanagement from ownership (that wear the pants in that organization, not the GM) and cutting payroll to meet an internal cap because they’re cheap f***s. I used to enjoy watching them a few years ago. The last full year Gallant was there. And I was irate when they lost to the Islanders in the playoffs. I was really cheering hard for them that year.

How about dumping Demers a year after they signed him, to dump some more payroll? What a joke. They gave away Demers for a scrub in Jamie McGinn to save money.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago

My thinking for the drop pass entries has always been that the skater leading the rush with the puck pushes back the opposing team to/past the blue line and allows the follow up skater an easier zone entry. Not sure I'd call it the most effective strategy, but it's not supposed to be about confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->