Spezza

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nimrods Son

Unrelated I know but at this point would you, as a Sens fan presumably, trade Spezza straight up for Phaneuf?

Don Draper

Feb 7, 2003
ottawa
Visit site
no, phaneuf is exactly what calgary wants and needs, Spezza fills the same role for ottawa. Ottawa hasnt had a number 1 center since Yash, Calgary hasnt had a 25min d man since, hmm Suter? MacInnis? I think both teams are holding on to their prospect, even if the deal is close on worth. I think they are both at the top, or near the top at their positions for potential.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Spezza has some sick scoring talent. Now if only he had a mean, physical side I think he could dominate in the NHL and a be a complete force (IE - Old School Lindros style)

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i'd say that a player like spezza is more like what calgary needs than phaneuf :dunno:

calgary already has a young, solid defense that was good enough to get them to the cup. lots of good players...phaneuf will strengthen it and bring another dimension for sure...but he doesn't fill the greatest need calgary has, which is for another scoring forward. calgary is weak on offense and could use another elite forward to help out iginla. spezza could do that.

but i wouldn't see a trade happening anyways

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Patrick - Flames Fan said:
Spezza has some sick scoring talent. Now if only he had a mean, physical side I think he could dominate in the NHL and a be a complete force (IE - Old School Lindros style)

i wouldn't call him lindros no matter how physical he played. lindros was on a completely different plane than any skilled player i've ever seen with regards to physical play. he was a monster in his prime.

if spezza added a mean streak/physical side, i'd probably compare him to jason allison.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
neelynugs said:
i wouldn't call him lindros no matter how physical he played. lindros was on a completely different plane than any skilled player i've ever seen with regards to physical play. he was a monster in his prime.

if spezza added a mean streak/physical side, i'd probably compare him to jason allison.

I don't think Allison has that much of a physical dimension, he was ultra soft in the juniors, which is why he was picked later in the first round.

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
I.M. Fletcher said:
no, phaneuf is exactly what calgary wants and needs, Spezza fills the same role for ottawa. Ottawa hasnt had a number 1 center since Yash, Calgary hasnt had a 25min d man since, hmm Suter? MacInnis? I think both teams are holding on to their prospect, even if the deal is close on worth. I think they are both at the top, or near the top at their positions for potential.

Except for the fact Regehr and Ference both played well over 25 mins during the entire playoff run, though only Regehr does it with regularity during the season... Calgary's defence is harolded as the best young defence in the NHL right now and ranking 3rd in GA last year is only testiment to that clissification. Calgary doesnt NEED Phaneuf, but obviously he will only help them, as he would any team. I wouldnt trade Phaneuf for Spezza. I also should mention Spezza is my favorite player in the NHL... so no bias here

Go Flames Go*

Levitate said:
i'd say that a player like spezza is more like what calgary needs than phaneuf :dunno:

calgary already has a young, solid defense that was good enough to get them to the cup. lots of good players...phaneuf will strengthen it and bring another dimension for sure...but he doesn't fill the greatest need calgary has, which is for another scoring forward. calgary is weak on offense and could use another elite forward to help out iginla. spezza could do that.

but i wouldn't see a trade happening anyways

We need Phanuef, not only for his hard hitting, and solid defence but also he can make a good first pass out of the zone, and hes got a rifle shot from the point something we desperatly need on the PP.

Clutch Mediocrity

May 8, 2004
Ottawa, Ontario
www.4thegame.com
Wondercarrot said:
I would not trade Spezza for Phaneuf.

I wouldnt either as a Sens fan. We have three nice young defensemen in Volchenkov, Meszaros, and Lyamin. I don't think I need to get into the likes of Chara, Redden, Phillips, and de Vries. We need the #1 center which we've lacked since Yashin left, not the stud defenseman in Phaneuf as nice as he'd be. I'd also take Spezza ahead of #1 pick Ilya Kovalchuk any day of the week. Once again, we need a #1 center much more than a speedy, skilled winger. Those types of wingers are also much easier to obtain than a playmaking center who has the potential put up Hart Trophy numbers someday given his supporting cast (Hossa, Havlat, etc).

Clutch Mediocrity

May 8, 2004
Ottawa, Ontario
www.4thegame.com
You lost all meaning with that statement. :dunno: :lol:

Not at all. My Sens have much more use for Spezza, a play making center and a future #1 pivot (which we've lacked since Yashin left) than a fast sniper in Kovalchuk. You know you have enough slicksters when Martin Havlat is mentioned every day in a trade proposal.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Leachmeister2000 said:
I don't think Allison has that much of a physical dimension, he was ultra soft in the juniors, which is why he was picked later in the first round.

You need to get your head out of juniors and watch the NHL sometime then.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Man.Utd said:
Not at all. My Sens have much more use for Spezza, a play making center and a future #1 pivot (which we've lacked since Yashin left) than a fast sniper in Kovalchuk. You know you have enough slicksters when Martin Havlat is mentioned every day in a trade proposal.

Still it doesn't make sense. ANY GM would take Kovo over Spezza ANY day of the week. Who is to say Spezza will become a true #1 center? Kovo has shown he can be a top leading goal scorer in the NHL. If the Sens had Kovo intead of Spezza, they could then trade Hossa or Havlat for a super stud #1 center.

Look at the options:

#1 - Spezza, Hossa, Havlat

OR

#2 - Kova, Hossa, Havlat where (either H is traded for a top line center).

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
ANY GM would take Kovo over Spezza ANY day of the week

Well if you say so. Ive seen enough of what Spezza can do with my own eyes and his talent takes a back seat to very few players. The Sens have greater need for exactly what Spezza brings...a centerman to feed our deadly wingers than they do another flashy winger Kovalchuk or not. The difference between the two isn't talent, it is style of play.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Wondercarrot said:
Well if you say so. Ive seen enough of what Spezza can do with my own eyes and his talent takes a back seat to very few players. The Sens have greater need for exactly what Spezza brings...a centerman to feed our deadly wingers than they do another flashy winger Kovalchuk or not. The difference between the two isn't talent, it is style of play.

You are in denial. Kovo is a top 3 player in his age group, if not the best. The guy is pure sick. Look at what was offered for Kova at the draft. Do you honestly think Spezza would have gotten a similar deal? Nope. Kova has shown he can be a top scoring NHL player and is the same age a Spezza. Kova took Atalanta on his back last year when Heatly was out and at the start Atlanta was a top team. Did Spezza do the same? Last i remember, Spezza was benched during the playoffs.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Wondercarrot said:

I hear continuously that Ottawa lacks size and offensive ability at left wing. What better way to fix that than with one of the top two left wings in the NHL?

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
You are in denial. Kovo is a top 3 player in his age group, if not the best. The guy is pure sick. Look at what was offered for Kova at the draft. Do you honestly think Spezza would have gotten a similar deal? Nope. Kova has shown he can be a top scoring NHL player and is the same age a Spezza. Kova took Atalanta on his back last year when Heatly was out and at the start Atlanta was a top team. Did Spezza do the same? Last i remember, Spezza was benched during the playoffs.

I think you need to take a step back and look at the big picture, stop saying people are in denial and stuff. Spezza was not allowed to play NHL his first year more than those 30 odd games. Spezza has only recieved 3rd and 4th line ice time, an average or 12-15 mins a game. Spezzas linemates are not named Heatley, Savard or McEachern who all had a really impressive year within the last 2. You mentioned Kovalchuk is amongst the top 3 players in his age group... well his age group was the same as Spezzas, Kovalchuk was taken at number 1, Spezza at number 2, shouldnt that be how it is? Of course Kovalchuk is in the top 3 of his age, Spezza is too. 55 points on a 3rd line? Last I checked thats pretty fricken good, and you cant even bring Spezza being benched in the playoffs into the argument, it was a coaching decision that has no negative sense to Spezzas game, hes young and hes learning, let him learn.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Eb0la11 said:
I think you need to take a step back and look at the big picture, stop saying people are in denial and stuff. Spezza was not allowed to play NHL his first year more than those 30 odd games. Spezza has only recieved 3rd and 4th line ice time, an average or 12-15 mins a game. Spezzas linemates are not named Heatley, Savard or McEachern who all had a really impressive year within the last 2. You mentioned Kovalchuk is amongst the top 3 players in his age group... well his age group was the same as Spezzas, Kovalchuk was taken at number 1, Spezza at number 2, shouldnt that be how it is? Of course Kovalchuk is in the top 3 of his age, Spezza is too. 55 points on a 3rd line? Last I checked thats pretty fricken good, and you cant even bring Spezza being benched in the playoffs into the argument, it was a coaching decision that has no negative sense to Spezzas game, hes young and hes learning, let him learn.

By age group, I don't think he means only 2001 draft picks, but rather everyone in the 18-21ish range (Kovalchuk, Heatley, Gaborik, Nash, Bouwmeester, Ruutu, Spezza, Pitkanen, Lehtonen, Zherdev, etc.).

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Eb0la11 said:

Why are you even bringing up people Kova has played with? Lasy year heatly was out for a ton and was hardly the same player at the start. Savard was injured a ton as well. You also forget to mention Havlat played on the third lien as well. So it pretty much cancels each other out.

Air

Aug 4, 2004
Hamilton
icethis.blogspot.com
You also forget to mention Havlat played on the third lien as well. So it pretty much cancels each other out.

Martin rarely, rarely put those two together because they upset his delicate defense-first chemistry. He mixed up the lines so often during a game, but he would only put Spezza in with Havlat if a clutch goal was needed, i.e. in overtime. I think he said something like, "They'll either win it or lose it for you," about the two.

Clutch Mediocrity

May 8, 2004
Ottawa, Ontario
www.4thegame.com
Epsilon said:
I hear continuously that Ottawa lacks size and offensive ability at left wing. What better way to fix that than with one of the top two left wings in the NHL?

I'd much rather just move Havlat to the left side and keep the future #1 center than have Kovalchuk and lose anything close to a first line pivot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->