Spezza vs Weiss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leetchie

Mar 3, 2002
Hillsborough, NJ
Visit site
I realize that most people, including myself, are going to think that Spezza is going to be a point-per-game mega-star in the near future. However, so far this season, he has 12 points in 20 games.

Weiss has 6 points in his last 3 games, 10 in 10 this year.

What are the chances that Weiss ends up turning out to be the better player?

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Im going to be one of the few, and go with Weiss. Spezza might put up more numbers than Weiss in the future, but Stephen has superb vision and plays good in the defensive zone. His offensive game was nonexistant last season, but he has seemed to pick it up this season after starting the year off in San Antonio. He has shown a lot of grit and skill on a "soft" second line, centering Bure and Huselius. He has the tools to be an all-star second line center for the Panthers.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
I saw Weiss play last year against the Isles and aside from Jokinen, Bauwmeester (sp?), and Luongo he was the best skater out there. (Put aside for a second that they played the Isles) From what I've seen from Spezza, he's going to put up a helluva lot of points on the power play and seems like the more naturally talented of the two, whereas Weiss has a better work ethic and more of a rounded player.
Weiss is benefiting from being in Florida because he is one of the better players there, playing with Val Bure.
Spezza might still be settling in.
In the long-run, I'd expect Spezza to put up more points, but Weiss to be a stronger all-around player

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Leetchie said:
I realize that most people, including myself, are going to think that Spezza is going to be a point-per-game mega-star in the near future. However, so far this season, he has 12 points in 20 games.

Definately Spezza.
Jason has much more pure skill. In addition, players like Spezza usually take longer to develop.

Andrei Kastsitsyn*

Leetchie said:

Weiss...

Spezza doesn't have the same edge he's played with in junior.. Spezza is waaaay overhyped unfortunantly and most of the time it bases peoples opinions on that.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Damn, why didn't all of you check out the Weiss vs. Spezza poll. I got flamed big time for even putting their names in the same thread and I was told that Spezza is in another UNIVERSE compared to Weiss when I asked who is better as of now. They insisted that Kovalchuk to Spezza was a closer comparasin than Weiss to Spezza.

I know anyone that has seen Weiss play this year will admit that Weiss has been the better player. Weiss all the way.

Jeff Shafer

Established: 1987
PanthersRule said:
Damn, why didn't all of you check out the Weiss vs. Spezza poll. I got flamed big time for even putting their names in the same thread and I was told that Spezza is in another UNIVERSE compared to Weiss when I asked who is better as of now. They insisted that Kovalchuk to Spezza was a closer comparasin than Weiss to Spezza.

I know anyone that has seen Weiss play this year will admit that Weiss has been the better player. Weiss all the way.

agreed, I have seen both play this season and Weiss has been the better of the two IMHO I saw Spezza have a few nice goals but thats about it Weiss is more of a playmaker.

HockeyGuy1011

Nov 14, 2003
im actually in florida and have been to a few panthers games this year...weiss is such a gritty guy and a real playmaker, like some of you have said. he doesnt shy off against anyone and can really see whats going on. people are gonna say spezza because he was drafted higher and all the hype about him, but weiss is better...even though spezza has more points this season (by 3 i think), weiss has played in 9 or 10 less games...weiss will be better in the longrun, as he is now

Sammy*

JasonMacIsaac said:
Whats so funny about that, take off those sens goggles once in a while, you may like what you see.
No problem being the smart guy now, eh.
Give it a week or two.

Sammy*

JasonMacIsaac said:
Smart guy? I always likes Weiss and I don't think Spezza has the speed or determination to make it big in the NHL, he always had the easy path growing up.
Yeah , I understand that Weiss was always the last guy picked in all the shinny games, poor guy. Its unbelievable hes made it this far in career, when one really stops to think about it.
By the way, if you are talking about Spezzas speed, have you ever seen him play?

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Weiss added another two tonight against Buffalo. The man is playing excellent right now. He is turning out to be one heck of a contributor for this young Panther squad.

Sammy*

JasonMacIsaac said:
Plenty of times, have you? The guy is a choppy skater and is below average in the league.
No , he is neither & in any event, he is a big guy wwho is all of 20. .
I think you have spending to much time on your thesis "Hejduk & Tanguay are leeches" to have watched much hockey these days. Obviously, your PHd is taking more time than you had hoped.

Sammy*

JasonMacIsaac said:
WOW, you proved me wrong there, this is the same way you argue any loss, trying to patheticly insult someone.

You must not have heard every scouting report in the world talking about Spezza's skating issues, go back to curling, I'm sure you may be able to keep up with the fast pace in that sport.
Have you even watched him play in the last 12 months,or are you stuck reading old scouting reports. The latter is obvious.
By the way, Weiss is al ittle guy wh shys away from the tough going & his skating his hardly an attribute.
You cant respond with any intelligence on what you have being yammering about for months on Hejduk & Tanguay being leeches. Geez, I wonder why that is.

CoolburnIsGone

Sammy said:
Have you even watched him play in the last 12 months,or are you stuck reading old scouting reports. The latter is obvious.
By the way, Weiss is al ittle guy wh shys away from the tough going & his skating his hardly an attribute.
Its obvious you haven't watched Weiss in the NHL at all. He hasn't been shying away from the tough play at all and was consistently blocking shots last yr and this yr plays a lot of PK time because he's strong defensively. Weiss worked hard in the offseason to gain some leg strength so his skating has gotten even better than before and you can tell he's faster this yr. I like both players but Weiss is going to be the better all-around player whereas a guy like Spezza is probably going to be the better scorer. IMO, the Sens could survive without Spezza but FL won't be able to survive without Weiss, both now and in the future.

YellHockey*

JasonMacIsaac said:
I seen him play vs Atlanta and on RDS on saturday vs Montreal early in the season. I think I may have seen them on TSN, that may have been last year. I seen him in the semi finals vs NJ last year. Is that enough for your little mind to hanle.

Have you seen him play live? I've seen every Sens game this season and I've seen Spezza play live over a dozen times this year.

His skating is not an issue. It's actually above average.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
So because Weiss is in the middle of a 10 game hot streak (the first time in his career he's actually played well), that suddenly makes him better than Spezza who has outplayed him for the last two seasons and actually has some productive NHL experience pre-November 2003? Just because he (and his whole team in fact) has been treading water laterly, doesn't mean that Weiss has suddenly busted past him. This kind of logic (making long term predictions based on comparisons over hot streaks) is the type of nonsense that had people predicting Spezza would outscore Kovalchuk this season, citing stats such as points per minute of ice time and so on. I feel very confident predicting that Spezza will have more points than Weiss by the end of the season, and a better ppg average as well.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Spezza always was, is, and will be the better player.

Good for Weiss, he is finally doing well. Part of his problem was Mike Keenan.

A part of Spezza's problem is Jacques Martin. And yet, despite that, he is at least performing ok, unlike Weiss who was completely useless most nights under Keenan.

It's still up to Jason to live up to his potential but frankly, the potential is just enormous.

Hawkster58

Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls, Ont.
Visit site
Relax gentlemen, this is a debate that has been going on for three years now. Both are very special players that will be STARS in the NHL for years to come. Spezza dedication to improving his skating is evident and it is no longer an issue. Ottawa is still being patient with his ice time. Now that Iron Mike is gone in Florida, the GM is giving Weiss his due and he is responding.

I'll take the uncanny hockey sense Spezza has in the long run, but it will be a close and entertaining race.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Just to clarify I wasn't trying to belittle Weiss. I'm glad he's starting to play like a player worth being a top 5 selection in his draft. But to place him ahead of Spezza based on a nice 10 game streak is pretty far out there IMO.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
TSN on wednesday will be a good way to evaluate both players as their respective teams meet. Should be a good game. :)

Weiss adds an assist in a solid game in MTL. 1-1 tie with Theodore and Luongo shining.

Habdominal

Jun 14, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Weiss VS Spezza

Hum Gotta say I love both of these kids. They both have something special. But IMO Spezza is a better offensive potential and will eventually become a better player than Weiss. He just seems to have a little extra stardom seasonnning ingredients

THat said I still think that Weiss is gonna be one hell of a player. AQnd might even challenge Spezza in the long run.

I would take Spezza both now and in the future. As for is "skating problem" just forget about it and please watch him play. you'll see thatn he's not by any strecht of imagination a below average skater

Spezza Rules , but weiss still rocks :yo:

YellHockey*

JasonMacIsaac said:
TSN on wednesday will be a good way to evaluate both players as their respective teams meet. Should be a good game. :)

Spezza was clearly the better player last night. He not only scored a nice goal but he won the majority of his faceoffs and made a nice defensive play behind Prusek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->