Spezza tearing it up! 74points in 54 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
nomorekids said:
Here's a thought:

for those of you drifting on and off topic...

stop bickering like little kittens over a ball of yarn, and get it back on track.

Or, keep it up, and experience my happy-funtime warning points! Collect the whole set for a special prize!(here's a hint: it's a banning!)

:dunce: :shakehead

Do we collect points for discussing Lehoux in a Spezza thread? :dunno: Or is it just the assclowns bickering over which trade proposal is the worst? :dunce:

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
willie said:
Do we collect points for discussing Lehoux in a Spezza thread? :dunno: Or is it just the assclowns bickering over which trade proposal is the worst? :dunce:

Bringing players that aren't specifically mentioned in a thread title...is fine. It wouldn't be "Homer's Future" otherwise :)

But yeah, the silly catfight needs to die, now.

bruins4777*

borro said:
Statistics might disagree with you....Spezza has 8 pp goals, Cammarelli and Gamache 14 each. Both have more game winning goals than Spezza (4 to 3). Wellwood has the most impressive shooting percentage-over 20. There is more to the game than stats, but nearly twice as many is statistically significant.

Well from what i've seen, spezza does lots of setting up on the powerplay...maybe i'm wrong i've seen spezza a couple times this year and each time he's dominated the powerplay, mostly with nifty passing. Cammaleri having more goals doesn't suprise me, he's like the kovlachuk of the AHL in that he uses that mean slapper to blaze bast goalies. Gamache, is so skilled and i love the kid, i'm not suprised at all. He gets a lot in front of the net.

But just one thing, spezza is NO SLOUCH when it comes to even strenght, he was still awful good, i'm just saying that on the powerplay i was impressed by him more than anybody else.

He may be overrated by some people but the generally consensus pretty much agrees word for word with your outlook.

well this is good. :)
The thing about me saying he wasn't "overly skilled" was more so like, he's not a top tier skill. You know what i mean? He's not like a robbie schremp kinda skill, doug weight, or whatever. He's pretty skilled, but he's not "EXPLOSIVE" skill. I see his main strength in his hockey sense...so i guess i agree with you on all facets of lehoux, that was just a minor misunderstanding...

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
nomorekids said:
Here's a thought:

for those of you drifting on and off topic...

stop bickering like little kittens over a ball of yarn, and get it back on track.

Or, keep it up, and experience my happy-funtime warning points! Collect the whole set for a special prize!(here's a hint: it's a banning!)

:dunce: :shakehead

How about a trade proposal of warning points for a first rounder in 2006 and a second in 2007?

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
bruins4777 said:
But just one thing, spezza is NO SLOUCH when it comes to even strenght, he was still awful good, i'm just saying that on the powerplay i was impressed by him more than anybody else.

I was wondering what you meant, last year he got 42/55 points even strength.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
bruins4777 said:
Well from what i've seen, spezza does lots of setting up on the powerplay...maybe i'm wrong i've seen spezza a couple times this year and each time he's dominated the powerplay, mostly with nifty passing. Cammaleri having more goals doesn't suprise me, he's like the kovlachuk of the AHL in that he uses that mean slapper to blaze bast goalies. Gamache, is so skilled and i love the kid, i'm not suprised at all. He gets a lot in front of the net.

well this is good. :)
The thing about me saying he wasn't "overly skilled" was more so like, he's not a top tier skill. You know what i mean? He's not like a robbie schremp kinda skill, doug weight, or whatever. He's pretty skilled, but he's not "EXPLOSIVE" skill. I see his main strength in his hockey sense...so i guess i agree with you on all facets of lehoux, that was just a minor misunderstanding...

On Spezza
You make some great points. I expected his powerplay numbers to be better myself. My guess is, he needs to add a bit more "responsible" to his repertoire. 74 points with 8 power play goals means a ton of even strength goals given up to get to -1.

On Lehoux
He has a 25.3% Shooting % and 8 ppg. He has 20 less points than Spezza but is +13 vs -1.

Last edited:

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
bruins4777 said:
Lehoux is quite possibly the most overrated prospect of the year
Just to add to what has already been said, I don't see how saying Lehoux could have lead the AHL in scoring is overrating him as an NHL prospect. Plenty of bums put up huge numbers in the AHL and never play anything but the odd NHL game.

Also, the Kings fans on this board are probably the least homerish out of any team with any sort of major following here. The most I've heard from Kings fans is that Lehoux has earned the right to get a serious look at camp whenever the NHL starts back up. That's about it. Compare that to how Kyle Wellwood is now seen by Leaf fans and Lehoux is hardly being overrated. (and no, I'm not talking **** about Wellwood)

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
borro said:
On Spezza
You make some great points. I expected his powerplay numbers to be better myself. My guess is, he needs to add a bit more "responsible" to his repertoire. 74 points with 8 power play goals means a ton of even strength goals given up to get to -1.

But like it was said eariler most of his PP points are assists, you cant just go by goals.

bruins4777*

Bileur said:
But like it was said eariler most of his PP points are assists, you cant just go by goals.

I think pp assists and blocked shots are two stats i would LOVE to see brought back, but blocked shots first and foremost.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Bileur said:

That is true, often guys like Spezza are not required to play as much defense as they need to be. I'm taking at face value the comment made that Spezza was a controlling force on the power play. He's just not prolific. Scoring most of your points at even strength is awesome Bileur. It's a sign of a more elite talent in my mind. Having said all that, the point about increasing responsibility still is there.

bruins4777*

borro said:
That is true, often guys like Spezza are not required to play as much defense as they need to be. I'm taking at face value the comment made that Spezza was a controlling force on the power play. He's just not prolific. Scoring most of your points at even strength is awesome Bileur. It's a sign of a more elite talent in my mind. Having said all that, the point about increasing responsibility still is there.

He's still young and developing, he's not going to be perfect even if he's dominating pointwise in the AHL.

BlackJack21

Nov 6, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
borro said:
Statistics might disagree with you....Spezza has 8 pp goals, Cammarelli and Gamache 14 each. Both have more game winning goals than Spezza (4 to 3). Wellwood has the most impressive shooting percentage-over 20. There is more to the game than stats, but nearly twice as many is statistically significant.

I 'm not sure if I understand very well what is going on...
I picked this post to send my reply but it could have been any other...

Are poepl trying to say Guys like wellwoud, Camaleri and Lehoux are beter hockey players or more talented or anything better than Spezza?

Ihope not... I hope it's just a Statistical game or something.

Spezza is better than these 3 guys toghther plain and simple.

I would'nt take Cammeralli, Wellwoud and Lehoux for Spezza in a trade any day...

Albi

Nov 24, 2004
Claro - Switzerland
BlackJack21 said:
I would'nt take Cammeralli, Wellwoud and Lehoux for Spezza in a trade any day...
:handclap:

You've discovered warm water...congrats!
Every human being who knows what hockey would not do that trade.

Btw, the jury's still out for Lehoux, he still has to play his 1st NHL game and he was having a breakthrough season. Cammalleri has to be more consistent, but the talent is there, though he lacks size. Wellwood could become a 3rd liner at best in the NHL, you can't compare him to Spezza. Jason put up pretty good numebers last season, but you have also to consider he played with great players in Ottawa. IMO he's going to be great, but he still has a lot to prove.

Last edited:

Albi

Nov 24, 2004
Claro - Switzerland
Voodoo said:
Are you saying you would rather Cammalleri, Lehoux and Wellwood over Jason Spezza?
Sorry, I re-edited my post...I made a mistake while I was typing.
No way I'd trade Spezza for any of those 3 players.

bruins4777*

Jason MacIsaac said:
Bochenski has really impressed me. People can say Spezza makes him but his goal scoring ability sure as hell helps Spezza also.

I agree, the sens games i went to i was like "who the hell is that guy flanking spezza he's pretty good". So while spezza's accelerated his development, he's awful good himself.

Chartrand

Dec 3, 2003
Visit site
Man.Utd said:
Yep. Just as he was starting to become cold he notches 5 points against one of the best AHL teams. :handclap:

Don't confuse the current Manchester team with one of the best AHL teams. Half the team consists of emergency call-ups because the Kings organization is injury prone from top to bottom. :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad