Spezza tearing it up! 74points in 54 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Well seeing as Spezza already had a 55pts season under his belt in the NHL and seeing as how he's dominated the AHL at the age of 19, it's hardly surprising that he should do it now at the peak of his skills.

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
Unfortunately, Yanick Lehoux got injured. It would have been nice to see two Kings prospects battle it out with Spezza for the scoring title.

Oh well, hopefully Cammalleri can reel him in by season's end.

leafaholix*

If Spezza keeps this up, the Sens may have a shot at landing Brendan Witt in a trade with Washington if they throw in a draft pick or prospect.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Carl O'Steen said:
If Spezza keeps this up, the Sens may have a shot at landing Brendan Witt in a trade with Washington if they throw in a draft pick or prospect.

I'd do that one in a heartbeat! Still gotcha piqued that I asked for Carlo, huh?

leafaholix*

borro said:
I'd do that one in a heartbeat! Still gotcha piqued that I asked for Carlo, huh?
lol, no.

It was the single most hilarious trade proposal ever.

bruins4777*

Lehoux is quite possibly the most overrated prospect of the year

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
The one thing that I've heard about Spezza this year is that he's improved his speed and acceleration. In the All star game, I'd say that was definitely noticeable. When the NHL resumes, I expect him to be a point per game player, or close to it.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
bruins4777 said:

LOL, by whom? Certainly not Kings fans. We're surprised at how well he's doing.

If you want to say he's the biggest overachiever, that would be more fair... but there are still many question marks many Kings fans have about Lehoux.

On topic, though... good for Spezza. He has a bright future ahead of him in the Ottawa organization.

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
bruins4777 said:

:joker: By whom? All I said was that I was dissapointed he got injured as he would have otherwise competed for the scoring title. (as he does have the highest PPG in the AHL)

I really don't get the overrated label. At all. He was considered a bust last year but his terrific offensive production this year (nearly 1.5ppg) has turned him into a legitimate prospect again. He could still go either way but there is no denying that he does have potential upside as a top-6 forward in the NHL.

Maybe I'm missing something but the Lehoux hype machine has been rather minimal this year. (with the occasional thread/mention here and there, which is to be expected when a guy puts up numbers like that) As Brock noted, if this was 4 years ago you would have a point. But now? Nope.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Carl O'Steen said:

Brilliant. :D

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
willie said:
Hehe. Missed your post. Funny how we started it nearly identically. ( except :joker: >>> lol) :p:

Yeah, well, we all know sometimes I have to use lower quality content for my posts so I don't make myself so blatantly superior :D

bruins4777*

hmmm maybe its just the people i hang around.

See the thing for me is this. Everybody i've talked too...well apparently not everybody...most people i've talked to have labeled lehoux as absolutely amazing or something. They've been all like "o he's dominating the AHL" etc.

But i've seen the kid play twice this season and in those games he produced 4 points. 2 goals and 2 assists, but he was far from impressive. I mean to me he was like this, a guy who gained points on the powerplay, wasn't overly skilled, but has a decent hockey sense. I really don't see much of an NHL career in him...

I mean he is a good passer and was dangerous on the powerplay, but absoltuely INVISIBLE in terms even strength. I remeber two plays on even strength, one where he made a terrific backchecking play where he looked vicious, happened once, and another where he got turned inside out by a very weak move.

To me i think he gets a lot of his points from non meaningful assists or just easy chip passes and obviously power play. Maybe i haven't seen him enough, but i've seen him when he's produced and i haven't been NEARLY as impressed with him as i was with cammaleri who only produced one goal in the games i watched and was even injured part way through the 2nd.

Anyways this is what i feel on lehoux. I think he has a certain kind of NHL ability, but i question whether he'll make it or not. I don't see 2nd line talent in him, yet i don't see third line grinding impact in him either, so i think it would be weird to see where he'd fit. I think if he ended up anywhere it'd be as a high scoring AHLER or a pierre turgen type influence(turgeon in terms of NOW 4th liner ice time turgeon) Which i dont' see as much....

just one persons opinion. I feel like he's overrated cause some people made him out to seem really really good and to be a huge impact player and like he's going to have great success in the NHL, but i don't see it...heck he might prove me wrong.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
willie said:
Unfortunately, Yanick Lehoux got injured. It would have been nice to see two Kings prospects battle it out with Spezza for the scoring title.

Oh well, hopefully Cammalleri can reel him in by season's end.

One thing Cammarelli has on him: He's +10 and Spezza is at -1. He may do alot of PP though. Cammarelli has 5 less games

See theahl.com/AHLStatistics0405/scoringleaders.html

Top 5
1. Spezza 55 23 51 74 -1
2. Camarelli 50 30 40 70 +10
3. Gamache 54 22 45 67 +13
4. Wellwood 54 25 37 62 +16
5. Hilbert 53 2732 59 +14

bruins4777*

borro said:
One thing Cammarelli has on him: He's +10 and Spezza is at -1. He may do alot of PP though. Cammarelli has 5 less games

See theahl.com/AHLStatistics0405/scoringleaders.html

Top 5
1. Spezza 55 23 51 74 -1
2. Camarelli 50 30 40 70 +10
3. Gamache 54 22 45 67 +13
4. Wellwood 54 25 37 62 +16
5. Hilbert 53 2732 59 +14

spezza is a powerplay monkey, from what i've seen he absolutely dominated the powerplay. He plays halfboards and the point, usuall for the full 2 minutes his team has the powerplay. He was already awful good at the NHL level at the powerplay, its ridiculous how badly he dominates those AHLer's at the powerplay...

camalleri plays the point and unleashes a WICKED one-timer, but i think he's better at even strength then spezza...i'm pretty sure cammaller plays with dustin brown also? I know he didn't play with lehoux when he was healthy.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
bruins4777 said:
spezza is a powerplay monkey, from what i've seen he absolutely dominated the powerplay. He plays halfboards and the point, usuall for the full 2 minutes his team has the powerplay. He was already awful good at the NHL level at the powerplay, its ridiculous how badly he dominates those AHLer's at the powerplay...

camalleri plays the point and unleashes a WICKED one-timer, but i think he's better at even strength then spezza...i'm pretty sure cammaller plays with dustin brown also? I know he didn't play with lehoux when he was healthy.

Statistics might disagree with you....Spezza has 8 pp goals, Cammarelli and Gamache 14 each. Both have more game winning goals than Spezza (4 to 3). Wellwood has the most impressive shooting percentage-over 20. There is more to the game than stats, but nearly twice as many is statistically significant.

leafaholix*

borro said:
Funnier than Nolan for a boatload of draft choices???
I don't remember that one, I'm assuming it must've been from you.

If so, I'd love to see a link... I need a good chuckle.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Here's a thought:

for those of you drifting on and off topic...

stop bickering like little kittens over a ball of yarn, and get it back on track.

Or, keep it up, and experience my happy-funtime warning points! Collect the whole set for a special prize!(here's a hint: it's a banning!)

:dunce: :shakehead

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Carl O'Steen said:
I don't remember that one, I'm assuming it must've been from you.

If so, I'd love to see a link... I need a good chuckle.

Kind of alot, if Boyes makes it. Owen Nolan : was traded to the Leafs for Alyn McCauley, prospect Brad Boyes
and a first round pick.

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
bruins4777 said:
hmmm maybe its just the people i hang around.

It must be because everything you've said about him is pretty much how most Kings fans feel about him.

I mean to me he was like this, a guy who gained points on the powerplay, wasn't overly skilled, but has a decent hockey sense.

He does excel on the powerplay but I would have to take issue with the statement that he isn't overly skilled. He's no Mario Lemieux but he is certainly one of the most skilled players in the Kings organization.

Maybe i haven't seen him enough, but i've seen him when he's produced and i haven't been NEARLY as impressed with him as i was with cammaleri who only produced one goal in the games i watched and was even injured part way through the 2nd.

That's not surprising. Cammalleri is simply a better hockey player than Lehoux. Yannick is useful when he's putting up offensive numbers but, otherwise, he is rather useless. (hence people being so down on him until this year when he finally started to produce big numbers in the AHL)

Anyways this is what i feel on lehoux. I think he has a certain kind of NHL ability, but i question whether he'll make it or not. I don't see 2nd line talent in him, yet i don't see third line grinding impact in him either, so i think it would be weird to see where he'd fit. I think if he ended up anywhere it'd be as a high scoring AHLER or a pierre turgen type influence(turgeon in terms of NOW 4th liner ice time turgeon)

You are bang on. I, too, have serious reservations about whether Lehoux makes it or not. He is going to have round out the finer points of his game and continue to progress offensively to have any legitimate chance at sticking in the show. He has the talent to possibly play in a scoring line capacity in the NHL but he may very well linger in the AHL forever. You're also right that he simply isn't going to cut in a grinding capacity. I like the Turgeon analogy as well because I could also see Lehoux maybe making it in a limited role even strength but also getting power play time.

just one persons opinion. I feel like he's overrated cause some people made him out to seem really really good and to be a huge impact player and like he's going to have great success in the NHL, but i don't see it...heck he might prove me wrong.

He may be overrated by some people but the generally consensus pretty much agrees word for word with your outlook. :)

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
Want to know what would be even cooler because you were all complaining about Lehoux being injured if Kostopulos wasn't injured and Smyth werent injured..... There even a few more injured but if the Monarchs had their whole team Camms would be #1 and they'd have 4 of the top 5 most likelly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->