Spengler Cup Goalie Being Thrown out Video

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Nasty knee on knee from teammates. Did someone explain to Doig to hit the toehr team? More importantly is Holden ok?

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
2 questions:

1. Was is a young goalie like Pogge doing at the Sprengler cup?

2. What is the purpose of the Sprengler cup anyways, is the an age limit, how do they choose the players that go there, i mean if Jason Doig is picked....

As the Glorious Weep

Aug 10, 2006
Was that Oleg Petrov? The former hab? Dude sure had speed. Too bad he couldn't finish...

Also, what kind of moron tries to hit a guy like Petrov who has his head up? The guy going for the hit was attempting a very dangerous play.

From what I see, it was either Petrov going down hard or the guy hitting his teammate.

Last edited:

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Pogge got thrown out for THAT?!?!?!

Yup. As the TSN commentators were saying at the time: (paraphrased): "It is disapointing when such a clearly overmatched referee is allowed to call important games like these."

2 questions:

2. What is the purpose of the Sprengler cup anyways, is the an age limit, how do they choose the players that go there, i mean if Jason Doig is picked....

1. I suspect the Leafs felt that Pogge's development would be better served playing in a tough international competition than to get a couple more games in the AHL. Dubnyk was likely permitted to go over for the same reason.

2. The Spengler Cup is an invitational club team tournament hosted by HC Davos. I think it is the second oldest hockey club championship after the Stanley Cup playoffs. Not entirely sure why Canada sends a national team to a club tournament though. No age requirements, it is made up of professional teams in Europe.

Foy

Jun 6, 2006
Also, there are occasionally AHL guys on the Canadian team, I thought.

Joretus

Was that Oleg Petrov? The former hab? Dude sure had speed. Too bad he couldn't finish...

Also, what kind of moron tries to hit a guy like Petrov who has his head up? The guy going for the hit was attempting a very dangerous play.

From what I see, it was either Petrov going down hard or the guy hitting his teammate.

Yeah, it was Oleg Petrov. Same guy. He is playing in Zug(Switzerland), but in Spengler Cup Davos is teamin up with some top notch foreigners from Swiss league.

Vomiting Kermit*

"From what I can understand in German..."

Uh, the ref was talking in English...

mooseOAK*

2 questions:

International experience. He went over to the World Championships last year too so Hockey Canada is probably grooming him for playing for the country in the future.

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
Apparently Pogge forgot where he was. Those stupid little scraps might be tolerated in North America but they actually have rules in Europe about that stuff.

Like the commentator said, he had never seen anything like that in the Spengler Cup before because it's not part of the game over there. Europeans don't need gimmicks like fighting to keep their interest. Fighting is actually looked down upon over there. (gasp, imagine that. people going crazy and beating eachother up seen as something BAD?!)

Respect Your Edler

Thank You 52
Sep 27, 2006
China
Apparently Pogge forgot where he was. Those stupid little scraps might be tolerated in North America but they actually have rules in Europe about that stuff.

Like the commentator said, he had never seen anything like that in the Spengler Cup before because it's not part of the game over there. Europeans don't need gimmicks like fighting to keep their interest. Fighting is actually looked down upon over there. (gasp, imagine that. people going crazy and beating eachother up seen as something BAD?!)

Hockey would be nothing without us North Americans.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005

Thanks for the lecture princess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->