Speed at Center Ice

Ace2008

Jun 28, 2006
Lots of speed with Skej, McDonagh,Summers,potentially Diaz on Defense.

but only Zibanejad and potentially Miller bring the speed for the new look Blueshirts at center

if Vermette is added on a short term 1-2yr deal does his speed and Faceoff prowess improve or harm the team in your opinion?

whether he's deployed as a #3/ or as a #4 pivot I think he might be a good fit if his personality meshes well with the current group.

reminds a bit of Pouliot.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Miller is a winger. Stepan/Ziba/Hayes down the middle. Not sure how much Vermette has left in the tank but I'd consider 1 year deal only. We've addressed team speed in the offseason. Diaz is no longer with us.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Jooris can scoot.

He'll prob be the 4th line Center, at least to start the year (but I think hell stay there, because of the speed and tenacity he brings, and he can PK)

Grabner, Gerbe, Kreider, Fast and Zucc can all move on the wings so the overall speed of the team has been upgraded. Removing Dom Moore (one of his best qualities was his speed but his quickness has taken a dip the last season and a half due to age) and Glass and Lindberg for the first 1/4 of the season most likely (who's not a speedy player - I like him but not sure where he fits on this team) from the 4th line and replacing them with a combination of Fast, Grabner, Gerbe and Jooris will give this team a different identity down there.

Speaking of Grabner, hell be 29 when the season starts - not exactly a spring chicken but he still can bring it. And Moore is 36. Thats when the wheels fall off. Im hoping Grabner hasnt lost that extra gear yet.

More a waste of cap space for Vermette than anything else, I put my faith in Jooris. Hes young and can move. And he can put the puck in the net.

Last edited:

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
In theory I say why not sign him, and if he plays well flip him at the deadline for a prospect or a few picks. make something out of nothing.

But the reality is that if we sign him and he plays well enough to return decent value, we won't be trading him.

So my answer would be no

Carlos Ranger

Zucc-a-Rella
Apr 9, 2007
NJ
I'd def give him a shot. even though he had a down year he still outscored Rick Nash, Eric Staal and Kevin Hayes. That's a valuable player to have in the bottom six

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Antoine Vermette? Is this the 2013-14 trade deadline?

Omg thank you!

That's the first thing that popped into my head after reading the OP.

I still have my doubts with the majority of the boards trade proposals after they told me that we needed the 3rd line center Matt Cullen to turn the fortunes of the team.

Carlos Ranger

Zucc-a-Rella
Apr 9, 2007
NJ
I still have my doubts with the majority of the boards trade proposals after they told me that we needed the 3rd line center Matt Cullen to turn the fortunes of the team.

His 2 game winning goals against the Rangers in the 1st round sure helped turn our fortunes one way..

KreiderHouseRules*

I'd def give him a shot. even though he had a down year he still outscored Rick Nash, Eric Staal and Kevin Hayes. That's a valuable player to have in the bottom six

I would too.

I like the idea of signing Vermette as proven depth more than I like the idea of signing Wisniewski or Jackman when we already have 8 NHL D (McD, Skjei, Staal, Girardi, Klein, McIlrath, Holden, Clendening) not including Paliotta or Graves as potential rookie call-ups.

1 year 3M?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad