Speculation: Speculation, Rumours, and Pretending to be a GM XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
TO is all about analytics and skill now, moving away from bigger players that are average at hockey. Granlund was a 2nd round pick, hes shown that he has top 6 skill and that he can play in the NHL.

Granlund is an analytics disaster at the NHL level so far, despite being small and skilled.

HUGE NO to any player on the Leafs not named Kadri, Bracco, Marner, or Reilly though.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Can't see the Leafs wanting to move JVR, at the moment. He'll probably be asked to step up and supply a veteran leadership role to the kids. They moved the cancer out, now wait and see how players respond. I really can't imagine them moving JVR cheap. If he was moved, the Leafs would probably expect a similar return to the Kane/ROR deals. The Hamilton/Oshie/Saad deals were heavily influenced by cap and looming offer sheets. It was no secret that neither Kessel or management had any desire to start the year on the Leafs roster.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
My reasoning for including Russell is that he has more value than Gardiner and helps us land JVR. Gardiner is more than adequate to play on our bottom pairing, a role that Russell will likely be playing on next season. I also believe that Gardiner can become as good as Russell is now over time. After Carlyle was fired last season, Gardiner was much improved.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Granlund is an analytics disaster at the NHL level so far, despite being small and skilled.

HUGE NO to any player on the Leafs not named Kadri, Bracco, Marner, or Reilly though.

And sadly the four guys you named are likely the last guys the Leafs would think of moving (along with Nylander).

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
And sadly the four guys you named are likely the last guys the Leafs would think of moving (along with Nylander).

I don't know why people have any interest in Kadri. I haven't seen anything of value out of him. Upside's there, but so's the attitude/off-ice issues that come with it.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
This is another 'I want your really good player but won't give you any of mine' situation. If we were to get JVR they would be asking for Klimchuk or Poirer + a 1st back. Which I'm not willing to give up. I would rather stick with what we got and see how they develop. I think both Klimchuk and Poirer will be top 6 players for us in the future. I think if we are going to go after any more top 6 wingers we should try and get a RHS. We are very very low on right shots in the forward group right now. We only have Jooris and Jones and maybe Shore.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
This is another 'I want your really good player but won't give you any of mine' situation. If we were to get JVR they would be asking for Klimchuk or Poirer + a 1st back. Which I'm not willing to give up. I would rather stick with what we got and see how they develop. I think both Klimchuk and Poirer will be top 6 players for us in the future. I think if we are going to go after any more top 6 wingers we should try and get a RHS. We are very very low on right shots in the forward group right now. We only have Jooris and Jones and maybe Shore.
What makes you believe he will get a better return than Hamilton? It is a buyers market right now because the top end teams have no cap space to acquire these players.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
People want to give up not only a 1st round pick (already too much) but also a future potential 2nd liner for a one-dimensional offensive winger 2nd liner at best? I thought this was a buyer market. I guess not.

Not to mention it's entirely possible the Flames significantly overachieved last year.

May 27, 2012
Earth
People want to give up not only a 1st round pick (already too much) but also a future potential 2nd liner for a one-dimensional offensive winger 2nd liner at best? I thought this was a buyer market. I guess not.

Not to mention it's entirely possible the Flames significantly overachieved last year.

The did overachieve. There is no probably, doesn't mean they won't improve. And to Acquire a player who put up 50-60 points making 4ish million would probably cost a 1st +. Granlund is middle 6 player, but iI don't think he can play bottom 6.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
I don't think we will go the Avs route here, they lost Stastny, we added Frolik and Hamilton. The west is always tough and with Dallas improving and LA tough as usual it will be a fight but I think were pretty good in terms of making the playoffs and assets we can spend. Even if JVR was only a second line LWer it would still be a solid scoring addition to our team.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
What makes you believe he will get a better return than Hamilton? It is a buyers market right now because the top end teams have no cap space to acquire these players.

I just think that's what TOR will be asking for. All in all I don't wanna trade for JVR unless Klimchuk Poirer and a 1st aren't involved or any of our top prospects are involved. Maybe Treviling can work some more of his magic haha

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
The did overachieve. There is no probably, doesn't mean they won't improve. And to Acquire a player who put up 50-60 points making 4ish million would probably cost a 1st +. Granlund is middle 6 player, but iI don't think he can play bottom 6.

Not to mention making the team better means they just achieve next year, instead of overachieving - or where overachieving means bigger and better things, I'm not sure which.

Aug 3, 2010
Love that in the Canucks' similar GM thread, they're talking about the Hamilton trade more than we have been. Some choice quotes:

If Hamilton is your #1 D you're not a true contender

I don't see him ever becoming a true #1.

If Boston had drafted Connor or Barzal the trade would have been okay

Edler was not our true #1? We had Ehrhoff, and Salo that year and a Bieksa that played extremely well in the playoffs. It was a good defensive unit like that of Carolina and Pittsburgh

Hamilton wouldn't even be a #1 on this Canucks team. Most valuable piece, sure due to age and potential but I don't see it. And he'll be behind Giordano in Calgary. In line with Kris Russel and TJ Brodie

But honestly, most of the other Canucks posters are admonishing those kinds of posts. They realize that Hamilton was a hell of a pickup and his potential is incredible - and mostly, they're pissed that Boston made such a trade to their division rival. Seeing as most of them still have complexes about the loss in 2011-2012, their fanbase has even more reasons to hate the Bruins and Flames. :laugh:

Gives me hope for the future.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015

Well, I was being generous with the "it's possible" part.

JVR won't put up 50-60 points here. He won't be a passenger to a line containing Kessel, he won't get first line minutes and he sure as hell won't get the pp minutes he got with the leafs due for one to going on the second pp unit. So what's left is a guy who had a 1.52 pts/60 even strength production last year, worse than ten flames forwards who played 500+ minutes for the flames from the previous year and Frolik. Now, I'm not saying he has worse offensive upside than guys like Colborne or Jones but it does show he's actually very unimpressive on offense.

Combine that with having no defense. Do you want to spend 1st pick+ on him? Patience with Poirier will be a virtue.

I don't think we will go the Avs route here, they lost Stastny, we added Frolik and Hamilton. The west is always tough and with Dallas improving and LA tough as usual it will be a fight but I think were pretty good in terms of making the playoffs and assets we can spend. Even if JVR was only a second line LWer it would still be a solid scoring addition to our team.
Pretty unlikely we come above teams like dallas, LA, Nashville or Chicago in the playoff, eh? Then maybe we should wait until 2017-18 where Smid, Engelland, Raymond, Bollig, Jones, Russell, Wideman and their 22.66M$ cap are gone and they get replaced by our prospects and some other players from the outside instead of overpaying with our farm and picks. We're not in desperation mode.

Thank you for having the same reaction I did.
I thought the "trade Backlund(+)" for JVR crowd from FN were nuts, at least they turned out to be a small minority. Here it's "mortgage the future" for JVR en masse.

Last edited:

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Pretty unlikely we come above teams like dallas, LA, Nashville or Chicago in the playoff, eh? Then maybe we should wait until 2017-18 where Smid, Engelland, Raymond, Bollig, Jones, Russell, Wideman and their 22.66M$ cap are gone and they get replaced by our prospects and some other players from the outside instead of overpaying with our farm and picks. We're not in desperation mode.

As long as we don't come across Anaheim we should be fine :laugh:. We have an army of prospects right now and sending two to three and a pick for an upgrade isn't a sign of desperation especially if there signed for three years.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Saying JVR wouldn't score 50-60 is an opinion, not fact. And it's not a great argument either, essentially having a prime Bennett in our lineup would mean the Flames have 2 top lines. The Hawks see both Kane and Toews put up around 70-80 points a year playing on separate lines. There is zero reason to suggest that JVR would not getting prime minutes here because he's not on the "#1 line".

And watching JVR closely over his career I can assure everyone that he's perfectly capable of generating offence all on his own. He has surprisingly soft hands for his size and showed his playmaking ability playing with Kessel and being the main guy on his line feeding him the puck. But make no mistake, this is a guy who can score and should not be judged solely on his numbers while he's been playing with Tyler Bozak as his center. IMO, there's every reason to suggest that he would score career numbers here playing with Bennett or Monahan. He's very talented, a very good skater and would add some much needed size on our wing making us harder to play against.

I've been a big fan of his since he was drafted and followed his career closely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->