Speculation MVP Consideration

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Bergeron should be a candidate but won't be. Absolutely will win the Selke again though, and frankly should be going for his 5th in a row. Toews winning that year was ridiculous.

I think the only thing that will hold Bergy back from another consecutive Selke will be if the voters start thinking "yeah he's good but it's somebody else's turn." If that happens I think it may be Kopitar. He's one guy who I think is a solid Selke like player who hasn't won it but likely would if not for the fact that he's a contemporary with Mr Selke-Patrice Bergeron.

I think it would be cool if they nominate him for MVP but stats will win out and even if Bergy's are a career year for him they won't be enough.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I think the only thing that will hold Bergy back from another consecutive Selke will be if the voters start thinking "yeah he's good but it's somebody else's turn." If that happens I think it may be Kopitar. He's one guy who I think is a solid Selke like player who hasn't won it but likely would if not for the fact that he's a contemporary with Mr Selke-Patrice Bergeron.

I think it would be cool if they nominate him for MVP but stats will win out and even if Bergy's are a career year for him they won't be enough.

I agree with you, although I hate that line of thinking. If someone IS the best in any given season, then yes, they should get it. But don't just give it to somebody as a career award so they can have it on their resume. It'd be like handing the Stanley Cup to Toronto because they haven't won in years and they're a "storied franchise," when Chicago is the team that actually earned it that year. I dislike Chicago greatly, but doggone it, they were the best so they won. Edit: actually Washington would be a better example. "Ovie needs a Stanley Cup, so let's give it to Washington."

Sorry, you hit on a pet peeve of mine. :)

Back to the original topic, I think by the definition and real spirit of the award, Bergeron would be a legit candidate for Hart this year.

Last edited:

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I agree with you, although I hate that line of thinking. If someone IS the best in any given season, then yes, they should get it. But don't just give it to somebody as a career award so they can have it on their resume. It'd be like handing the Stanley Cup to Toronto because they haven't won in years and they're a "storied franchise," when Chicago is the team that actually earned it that year. I dislike Chicago greatly, but doggone it, they were the best so they won. Edit: actually Washington would be a better example. "Ovie needs a Stanley Cup, so let's give it to Washington."

Sorry, you hit on a pet peeve of mine. :)

Back to the original topic, I think by the definition and real spirit of the award, Bergeron would be a legit candidate for Hart this year.

It's a peeve of mine too-especially the year Lidstrom won the Norris as a career achievement award instead of Chara and now Chara who is one of the best Dmen in the game this century will likely never win another one.

But we know it happens. But IMO Bergy is the man when it comes to the definition of Selke and he deserves to win it.

The MVP won't happen though simply because he doesn't put up the points like most winners at the forward position.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
It's a peeve of mine too-especially the year Lidstrom won the Norris as a career achievement award instead of Chara and now Chara who is one of the best Dmen in the game this century will likely never win another one.

But we know it happens. But IMO Bergy is the man when it comes to the definition of Selke and he deserves to win it.

The MVP won't happen though simply because he doesn't put up the points like most winners at the forward position.

Kane will most likely win, but my vote would be for Evgeny Kuznetsov.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
It's not like the voters hate him. He finished 5th in voting in 2013/14 despite being pretty far behind most other forwards in scoring:

Here's a look at the top 10 forwards in Hart voting the year Bergeron finished 5th overall (the ones not listed were goalies Varlamov (4th), Bishop (10th), Rask (11th)):

Place. Player (Voting Points): Games - Goals-Assists-Points

1. Crosby (1340): 80 - 36-68-104
2. Getzlaf (877): 77 - 31-56-87
3. Giroux (435): 82 - 28-58-86
5. Bergeron (137): 80 - 30-32-62
6. Seguin (84): 80 - 37-47-84
7. Pavelski (71): 82 - 41-38-79
8. Kopitar (58): 82 - 29-41-70
9. Toews (53): 76 - 28-40-68
12. Benn (35): 81 - 34-45-79
13. Perry (29): 81 - 43-39-82

He's currently projected to finish with 80 - 32-39-71, and is certainly more important to the Bruins success this year as he has to pick up a lot more slack.

I don't see why he wouldn't at least be nominated. Let's take a look at the other frontrunners:

- Kane is a given.

- Karlsson most likely won't be able to get Ottawa into the playoffs, which should take him out of contention, but we'll see.

- Washington has been firing on all cylinders the entire year, which creates that "who do you choose?" scenario. They have 3 players in the top 11 in scoring (Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuznetsov). While Holtby earned a ton of credit earlier on, his numbers have faltered down the stretch to the point that he may not even win the Vezina now (Kane's teammate Crawford looks to have the edge in that battle).

- Stars are 11-12-4 in the New Year. In that time, these are the numbers for their two stars:

Benn - 27: 8-11-19, -16
Seguin - 27: 9-9-18, -17

Again, a significant example of "trailing off". Now, the first 30 games are obviously no less important than the last 30, but consistency is what I'm looking at here.

- In the reverse of that example, Crosby and Getzlaf have come on like gangbusters in the second half, but their first half left a lot to be desired.

- If a Shark gets nominated, is it Thornton, Pavelski or Burns? They have a Caps thing going on where it's difficult to choose.

I probably threw more names in there than I had to, but the point stands. Why would Bergeron not at least be nominated this year?

indy

Oct 18, 2015
It's not like the voters hate him. He finished 5th in voting in 2013/14 despite being pretty far behind most other forwards in scoring:

Here's a look at the top 10 forwards in Hart voting the year Bergeron finished 5th overall (the ones not listed were goalies Varlamov (4th), Bishop (10th), Rask (11th)):

Place. Player (Voting Points): Games - Goals-Assists-Points

1. Crosby (1340): 80 - 36-68-104
2. Getzlaf (877): 77 - 31-56-87
3. Giroux (435): 82 - 28-58-86
5. Bergeron (137): 80 - 30-32-62
6. Seguin (84): 80 - 37-47-84
7. Pavelski (71): 82 - 41-38-79
8. Kopitar (58): 82 - 29-41-70
9. Toews (53): 76 - 28-40-68
12. Benn (35): 81 - 34-45-79
13. Perry (29): 81 - 43-39-82

He's currently projected to finish with 80 - 32-39-71, and is certainly more important to the Bruins success this year as he has to pick up a lot more slack.

I don't see why he wouldn't at least be nominated. Let's take a look at the other frontrunners:

- Kane is a given.

- Karlsson most likely won't be able to get Ottawa into the playoffs, which should take him out of contention, but we'll see.

- Washington has been firing on all cylinders the entire year, which creates that "who do you choose?" scenario. They have 3 players in the top 11 in scoring (Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuznetsov). While Holtby earned a ton of credit earlier on, his numbers have faltered down the stretch to the point that he may not even win the Vezina now (Kane's teammate Crawford looks to have the edge in that battle).

- Stars are 11-12-4 in the New Year. In that time, these are the numbers for their two stars:

Benn - 27: 8-11-19, -16
Seguin - 27: 9-9-18, -17

Again, a significant example of "trailing off". Now, the first 30 games are obviously no less important than the last 30, but consistency is what I'm looking at here.

- In the reverse of that example, Crosby and Getzlaf have come on like gangbusters in the second half, but their first half left a lot to be desired.

- If a Shark gets nominated, is it Thornton, Pavelski or Burns? They have a Caps thing going on where it's difficult to choose.

I probably threw more names in there than I had to, but the point stands. Why would Bergeron not at least be nominated this year?

Agreed. It is all about points. And people complain about stat watchers.

Jack218D

Jan 27, 2012
Agreed. It is all about points. And people complain about stat watchers.

How about 2 more goals tonight? What if he stays on this pace down the stretch and leads the Bs to a first place finish? Nitemarish schedule against the leagues iron and scores at or above 1pt per game?

I am telling you it could happen.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
How about 2 more goals tonight? What if he stays on this pace down the stretch and leads the Bs to a first place finish? Nitemarish schedule against the leagues iron and scores at or above 1pt per game?

Not likely to continue at current pace. And voters won't know anything about the schedule. Anyone but Kane at this point would be a real longshot.

indy

Oct 18, 2015

I definitely think he could be one of the three finalists.

Maybe he wins the Ted Lindsay though.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
How many times this season the top 20 scorers have been held pointless in consecutive games:

Player | # of 2-Game Droughts | # of 3-Game Droughts | # of 4-Game Droughts | # of 5-Game Droughts
Kane | 2 | 0 | 0 | 0
Benn | 2 | 2 | 1 | 0
Karlsson | 3 | 2 | 1 | 0
Seguin | 1 | 1 | 2 | 0
Kuznetsov | 3 | 2 | 0 | 0
Crosby | 2 | 4 | 0 | 1
Gaudreau | 3 | 0 | 3 | 0
Thornton | 3 | 1 | 1 | 0
Pavelski | 5 | 1 | 0 | 0
Panarin | 5 | 3 | 0 | 0
Backstrom | 4 | 1 | 0 | 0
Ovechkin | 4 | 1 | 1 | 0
Bergeron | 3 | 1 | 0 | 0
Wheeler | 4 | 0 | 0 | 0
Burns | 5 | 2 | 1 | 0
Kopitar | 6 | 1 | 0 | 0
Hall | 4 | 2 | 0 | 2
Giroux | 3 | 0 | 0 | 1
D. Sedin | 4 | 1 | 1 | 0
Malkin | 4 | 2 | 0 | 0

Also, me arguing Bergeron being freaking amazing on the main board:

AM I THE ONLY ONE AROUND HERE

hqdefault.jpg

WHO GIVES A **** ABOUT DEFENSE?

Jack218D

Jan 27, 2012
Not likely to continue at current pace. And voters won't know anything about the schedule. Anyone but Kane at this point would be a real longshot.

I get it. But some here would say AO is more valuable as well. Which is absurd.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Big thread on this on the main board started by our very own Trap Jesus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad