Sparks' shutouts in 1st NHL game & last AHL game

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
That's all very good for Sparks and I hope it translate to him being in the NHL full time. However it's still a different game at the NHL level compared to the AHL.

If it was that easy wouldn't Gauthier be up full time and not with the Marlies?

Definitely different going from AHL to NHL, especially as a full-timer, but it's tough to compare 4C to backup. You'd expect many more games out of Gauthier, though Sparks would be playing full games when in. Sparks is a couple of years older and would have to pass through waivers. Assorted considerations at play here.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
id snap the other teams hand off for a 3rd if it was offered and would think about a 4th. Sparks is ok wouldn't be the worst choice as backup but isn't a legit goaltending prospect in the leafs system so if someone wants him take him

Reactions: DarkKnight

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
so did the refs.
the puck never went in the net.

it did go in, just not where everyone was focusing. Sparks grabbed it when it went over the line the 1st time and threw it back into play then the event everyone saw where there was no goal

edit: was it 100% conclusive? no, but it appeared to me it went in then

Falon

May 21, 2004
Kitchener, Ontario
Sparks will be playing in the NHL next season. There are so many teams who don't like their goaltending, whether starter or backup and have little in the pipline. While this is not a comment on Sparks ability to play in the NHL (which I won't because it is so damn hard to tell with goaltenders, I'm stunned that so many posters here are claiming he is terrible, bold statements), more a comment on the position and teams who will figure that he is better then what they already have. I would trade McBakcup before Sparks do to the age factor as well as the investment that the Leafs have made in him. Especially considering that they already figure they know what they have in Pickard. You give Sparks every opportunity to show it, and if he falters you can send him down, and he will clear waivers. Then you go with Pickard.

Reactions: Menzinger

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
it did go in, just not where everyone was focusing. Sparks grabbed it when it went over the line the 1st time and threw it back into play then the event everyone saw where there was no goal

maybe. i'll have to see it again. because it didn't look like it to me.
but if that's the case - then yah no shutout.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

just my opinion I thought it looked in, we didn't get many replays of that part of the play. The lunatics Crocker and McGill also whipped up everyone into a frenzy while watching the wrong play. When I first saw it it seemed like sparks movement in grabbing the puck seemed to be over the line

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
just my opinion I thought it looked in, we didn't get many replays of that part of the play. The lunatics Crocker and McGill also whipped up everyone into a frenzy while watching the wrong play. When I first saw it it seemed like sparks movement in grabbing the puck seemed to be over the line

to be fair if they had that angle. (and not the other) then they aren't lunatics. i would (did) lose my poop

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
so did the refs.
the puck never went in the net.
A) Seems to be a difference of opinion. I did not see the play, I was on the ice myself at the time. But I do know Leafs fans who say it did go in.
B) It does not matter. He was credited with giving up a goal. People don't just get to say stuff when it's not true.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.

Call on the ice was goal too.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Just watched the game recap. The replays show a scramble on the right side of Sparky. The ref points to the net a couple seconds early to signal goal. On Sparky's left side. So any replay I've seen doesn't show the puck in the net. But it was already in apparently.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
A) Seems to be a difference of opinion. I did not see the play, I was on the ice myself at the time. But I do know Leafs fans who say it did go in.
B) It does not matter. He was credited with giving up a goal. People don't just get to say stuff when it's not true.

that's fair. you asked the context though, and that's what it was

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I'd rather keep Sparks and find a new home of Mac. He could just as easily bomb next season and end up on waivers by Christmas. I don't trust him at all.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
that's fair. you asked the context though, and that's what it was
I knew the context.

I just get irritated by people thinking that they can over ride official things because they don't like them. For instance, Stanton last season saying that the real MLB HR record is 61. Well, no it isn't. He knew he wasn't gonna hit 74. So he decided to ignore the official record.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I would think that we will see some indication of what the possible plans are for both our AHL goalies soon we will need to resign Pickard as his contract is over. He is a proven commodity at the NHL level and if he is in our plans we will know that soon enough. He made more money then sparks and McBackup last year and I think if we do resign him he will be given every chance to play at the NHL level.

Sparks is under contract for another year and his cap hit is easily manageable for many teams should the leafs trade him.

McBackup is under contract for one more. Year as well and his contract is reasonable as well. He would possibly have the highest trade value of the 3 and maybe the easiest to move away from based on his age.

I see us keeping 3 goalies at the start of the season with a final decision of who to keep as our backup coming down to keeping Pickard as I feel he is the best option going forward with the ability to be a starter if we should find us needing him if Fredie suffers an injury.

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
Just watched the game recap. The replays show a scramble on the right side of Sparky. The ref points to the net a couple seconds early to signal goal. On Sparky's left side. So any replay I've seen doesn't show the puck in the net. But it was already in apparently.

Not disputing, but what I am curious about is would the refs not have told Keefe when they went and talked to him after it was deemed a goal that it was the right side and not the left side they reviewed? Why then would he have lost his shit so much when he saw the replay of the left side not going in? Just for show?

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Not disputing, but what I am curious about is would the refs not have told Keefe when they went and talked to him after it was deemed a goal that it was the right side and not the left side they reviewed? Why then would he have lost his **** so much when he saw the replay of the left side not going in? Just for show?
I really have no idea. And I haven't seen a replay that shows what was going on, on that side.

I have heard that Sparky can be seen reaching into the net and pulling the puck out. Yet he reacted as thought he was surprised.

My best guess would be, if the ref wasn't able to determine for sure it was a goal and had to go with call on ice, then maybe it was in hopes of a bit of an even up call.

It was also pointed out that the only view the refs get is the over head. I haven't seen that one either. Maybe it conclusively shows.

Reactions: Zizzzzy

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
That's all very good for Sparks and I hope it translate to him being in the NHL full time. However it's still a different game at the NHL level compared to the AHL.

If it was that easy wouldn't Gauthier be up full time and not with the Marlies?

Gauthier has never dominated the AHL the way Sparks has this past season.

Agreed that nothing guarantees a player is NHL ready by most signs at this point to “yes” for Sparks

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
After the season Mcbackup had? there absolutely is
With all the problems we had finding an adequate backup prior to Mc, there is a case to be made for keeping the guy who's done nothing but his job and then some for two years. Sparks has more trade value as well, obviously. Sparks has more upside, but he also has more risk, whereas Mc has done exactly what you want, why move to a maybe in Sparks? Tough questions for Dubas.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
With all the problems we had finding an adequate backup prior to Mc, there is a case to be made for keeping the guy who's done nothing but his job and then some for two years. Sparks has more trade value as well, obviously. Sparks has more upside, but he also has more risk, whereas Mc has done exactly what you want, why move to a maybe in Sparks? Tough questions for Dubas.

Look I won't tell you I was always on the Mac train I wasn't but he did what he did last year, I just hope he can be consistent from day 1 next year because while he did fix it, it started out rough for Mac

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Though like we’ve discussed before it also comes back down to probability of McBackup being able to repeat his level of play.

Do we want to bet on a 35+ year old who has lacked consistency his entire pro career and suddenly had his best season being able to repeat? I’m not so sure....

I’d say Dubas is more likely to not take the conservative approach here (retain McBackup) and go with a guy who he’s paid close attention to on the Marlies Sparks/Picard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad