Sparks' shutouts in 1st NHL game & last AHL game

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Sparks will not just be handed an NHL gig. He has to earn it at the NHL level. Just saying.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Sparks will not just be handed an NHL gig. He has to earn it at the NHL level. Just saying.

Though one could say his stellar play all season and into the playoffs is part of that earning process. Next step is to have a good camp, though I suspect the Leafs may make move a goalie this summer

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Put the three of them in camp and let the best goalie win.
You most definitely don't keep McBackup, you sell high on him now at the draft/offseason so you aren't left having 4 goaltenders in the NHL getting less value from trading them as teams know you can't keep them all. At least with only Sparks & Pickard here, it's manageable to keep 3 goalies on an NHL roster so that you're not too forced into trading the loser of the backup spot race for 0 value
Did I say hand it to him? No, said inside track, which you do for all prospects you want playing in NHL that season so that even if another player plays at not a better level but equal level, the favoured prospect is given the NHL spot considering his pedigree

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
This series would have been over in 4 game sweep for Marlies if McBackup played. Don't jump the gun on Sparks.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Honestly after watching the last two games, I do not think Sparks is anything special. He will get eaten alive as a golaie in the NHL, and at best you are looking at a Reimer type player, but realistically you are getting a average to below average backup.

Reactions: Walshy7

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
I'd easily trade him for a second /third rounder if the opportunity presented itself.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
He just won the Calder Cup for the organization FFS and posted a .936 in the regular season. Oh and by the way he was Dubas' goalie. Are you mad?
That's all very good for Sparks and I hope it translate to him being in the NHL full time. However it's still a different game at the NHL level compared to the AHL.

If it was that easy wouldn't Gauthier be up full time and not with the Marlies?

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
Wonder if Sparks may end up being trade bait tbh

Dubas almost looked guilty when he hugged him on the ice last night... kinda like "Great season!.. Nice speech about Toronto....but I am trying to trade you...Sorry" :P

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Sparks will have to pass waivers next season.

Made it through waivers going into this season, but he'd obviously be coming off a much bigger performance this time around. Waivers can definitely play a big part in how the backup situation is set to be approached, with all of the candidates eligible for them. Will be interesting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad