TV: South Park Season 21

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Hope they ditch the season long format and go back to individual episodes.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I've been more excited about TV this year than I've been for a long time.

Twin Peaks return
Curb return
Game of Thrones getting real
South Park
Last Week Tonight
Ash vs. Evil Dead

That's some quality programming.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
South Park jumped the shark along time ago but it is still able to put out some gold here and there.

However I am glad it seems they are getting rid of the continuing storyline angle because it has become clear Matt n Trey are not that great at telling one, some ideas are good but they almost always fall on their face.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
I liked the Lorde running gag. PC principal was good too. The whole troll thing last season wasn't that good though

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
I liked the Lorde running gag. PC principal was good too. The whole troll thing last season wasn't that good though

Probably cause they didn't know what the hell to do after Trump won, they probably wrote a bunch of good stuff for a Hillary win. Like what happened to the Memberberries? That whole thing just fell off a cliff after Trump won.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Hit Trump. Hard. Repeatedly.

Then I'll be happy.

I think they've said they're going to avoid that for the most part after having what was basically an entire season (2 seasons really) on him/the election. (Could be wrong though) They also said they didn't expect Trump to win and it threw everything off last season.

I'm sure we'll get a throw away joke or 3 but I doubt there will be any Trump-centric episodes.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I am tired of hearing about Trump on any show and hope the use other topics. It is never good comedy, just cheap laughs when people talk Trump..

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Last season almost made me give up on the show.
I hope they ditch the season arc and go back to the single episodes

Same.

Last season was the worst season in a long time, if not ever. It's kind of a **** off because it seemed like the show had been finding its groove again the 2-3 seasons before.

I'm a huge fan and I'll ultimately still watch, but I'm definitely hoping for a return to the previous less-continuality version.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Same.

Last season was the worst season in a long time, if not ever. It's kind of a **** off because it seemed like the show had been finding its groove again the 2-3 seasons before.

I'm a huge fan and I'll ultimately still watch, but I'm definitely hoping for a return to the previous less-continuality version.

I know I'm in the minority but I actually preferred last season over the previous one. Characters like PC Principle are okay in small doses like other one-off types you see now and again but having an entire season dedicated to his antics put me off. I actually much preferred Gerald the Troll > PC Principle storylines.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
The creators hinted that it's tiring keeping the season long thing going and they'll be fun, individual episodes again, from what I read (iirc). I hope it's the case because that's the South Park I fell in love with a very, very long time ago.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I still bust out laughing when the Troll that finds out whoGerald is, is telling him about his mom being a midget and his dad a giant. I literally cried when I saw Gerald's reaction, it was the exact same as mine.

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
I am tired of hearing about Trump on any show and hope the use other topics. It is never good comedy, just cheap laughs when people talk Trump..

Agreed. We get it, he's orange, has bad hair, and uses twitter. Idk what anyone finds funny about it anymore.
I'll be glad once the season long arc is gone. I have up on it last year.

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass

Trey Parker on giving voice to 'Despicable Me 3' villain, mulling the end of 'South Park' and ignoring Trump

“South Park” turns 20 this year. Has it gotten harder over those years to do satirical comedy, especially now that everyone on the Internet can make their own jokes off the latest news within seconds?

Yeah, and it’s also just gotten boring. We weren’t ever really that show. We would do an entire season and there would be one moment that played off something that had just happened and people would go, “ ‘South Park’ is the show that does that.” And that’s just not true. We’re not.

We did start to become that, though, especially the last season. We fell into the same trap that “Saturday Night Live” fell into, where it was like, “Dude, we’re just becoming CNN now. We’re becoming: ‘Tune in to see what we’re going to say about Trump.’ ” Matt and I hated it but we got stuck in it somehow.

This season I want to get back to Cartman dressing up like a robot and [screwing] with Butters, because to me that’s the bread and butter of “South Park”: kids being kids and being ridiculous and outrageous but not “did you see what Trump did last night?” Because I don’t give a ... anymore.

We probably could put up billboards — “Look what we’re going to do to Trump next week!” — and get crazy ratings. But I just don’t care.

Do you think Trump is funny?

He’s not intentionally funny but he is intentionally using comedic art to propel himself. The things that we do — being outrageous and taking things to the extreme to get a reaction out of people — he’s using those tools. At his rallies he gets people laughing and whooping.

I don’t think he’s good at it. But it obviously sells — it made him president.

After so many years of doing “South Park,” do you and Matt have an end point in your heads for the show?

Every year in the middle of the season, we say, “OK, this is it.” And we really thought that two seasons ago when we were doing all the PC Principal stuff. We were like, “This is it — we’re going to get run out of town with our middle finger up.” Because we felt the culture changing, and I think it still is on that track.

The witch hunt is coming. Our day is coming. One of these days, out of nowhere, we’ll do something and they’ll go, “How dare you!” — and we’ll be done.

But what people don’t realize is, we’ve thought this for 20 years. We’ve been ready for it. Our bags are packed in the car and we’re ready to go back to Colorado. And it’s cool, man.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
The creators hinted that it's tiring keeping the season long thing going and they'll be fun, individual episodes again, from what I read (iirc). I hope it's the case because that's the South Park I fell in love with a very, very long time ago.

Same. The most inane épisodes are the best with Casa Bonita being the all-time greatest.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Hope they ditch the season long format and go back to individual episodes.

They did (see: Last episode of season 20s title), and its better that way. Season 20 was probably the worst season of south park by a country mile.

South Park has always had season long gags or loose story threads but last year they pushed it a bit too far.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
They completely botched the "Mr. Garrison as Trump" opportunities. It had such incredible potential to be taken in weird new directions, and they reduced him to a bystander. Glad they're ditching it and going back to basics.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Not sure if they want to go there, but if they want to do something recent without getting into Trump they could always get Cartman dressing up as Hitler again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad