Olympics: South Korea Roster Discussion (Roster in post 1)

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Confirmed roster:

Goaltenders:
Matt Dalton
Kye Hoon Park
Sungje Park

Defencemen:
Hyung Gon Cho
Wonjun Kim
Don Ku Lee
Hyonho Oh
Alex Plante
Eric Regan
Yeongjun Seo
Bryan Young

Forwards:
Jin Hui Ahn
Minho Cho
Jungwoo Jeon
Kisung Kim
Sangwook Kim
Won Jung Kim
Young Jun Lee
Jin Kyu Park
Woosang Park
Brock Radunske
Sanghoon Shin
Sangwoo Shin
Michael Swift
Mike Testwuide

Reactions: Brock Radunske

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014

On the surface at least yes, but a good chunk of them like Swift, Radunske, and Young have been living in South Korea and playing for their Asia League teams for almost 10 years now.

South Korea isn't as insular towards people of foreign birth becoming citizens as say their regional neighbors China or Japan. With SK its more of a "Are you willing to integrate and learn about our culture?", "Can you support yourself without government assistance?" And "What special skills do you bring to the table?"

Yes having a job lined up is a requirement of citizenship for foreign nationals who want to become Korean. :)

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
I live in Korea right now and work literally within sight of the Anyang Halla arena (where half the team plays), and have watched Halla all year. They are defending back-to-back champions in the Asia league, but this year have looked really poor. And the Koreans on the team are given third and fourth line minutes, with most of the top roles going to the Canadians.

That said, the one Korean to watch would be Shin Sang-woo. He's probably the best Korean on Halla, and can keep up with the Canadians on the team (not that he gets much of a chance). Fast player, small, but very good hands.

Reactions: bukwas

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
I live in Korea right now and work literally within sight of the Anyang Halla arena (where half the team plays), and have watched Halla all year. They are defending back-to-back champions in the Asia league, but this year have looked really poor. And the Koreans on the team are given third and fourth line minutes, with most of the top roles going to the Canadians.

That said, the one Korean to watch would be Shin Sang-woo. He's probably the best Korean on Halla, and can keep up with the Canadians on the team (not that he gets much of a chance). Fast player, small, but very good hands.

You seem well informed, why a couple of the Koreans with better stats from last year in Halla (and are included in this roster) aren't with the team this season?

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
You seem well informed, why a couple of the Koreans with better stats from last year in Halla (and are included in this roster) aren't with the team this season?

I couldn't tell for sure, I don't follow the team that closely (I've only been in Korea since last March, and am leaving in a few months). But it could be money-related; the players are paid decently here, or the foreigners are at least (roughly $100k, housing, school for their children, who all go to the one I work at).

There is also the new team in Korea, the Daemyung Killer Whales, who also play in a suburb of Seoul (Incheon, where the main airport is). They could have had an impact in some way.

Last edited:

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
I couldn't tell for sure, I don't follow the team that closely (I've only been in Korea since last March, and am leaving in a few months). But it could be money-related; the players are paid decently here, or the foreigners are at least (roughly $100k, housing, school for their children, who all go to the one I work at).

There is also the new team in Korea, the Daemyung Killer Whales, who also play in a suburb of Seoul (Incheon, where the main airport is). They could have had an impact in some way.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I mean, why a player like him: Jin Hui Ahn is a free agent?

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
Ah, I see. Where is this Sangmu team based in? On EP it just says "asia other"

Daemyung Sangmu used to play in Mok-dong section of Seoul but dropped out of the Asia League at the end of the 2016 season. They were replace by the privately owned Daemyung Killer Whales who play in Incheon.

I believe they still exist as more or less a club team that takes part in the various national amateur championship tournaments.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Daemyung Sangmu used to play in Mok-dong section of Seoul but dropped out of the Asia League at the end of the 2016 season. They were replace by the privately owned Daemyung Killer Whales who play in Incheon.

I believe they still exist as more or less a club team that takes part in the various national amateur championship tournaments.

There is still a domestic Korean league (or I believe there is), for the university teams and the military team as you noted. Though I have no idea about where they play or when, as there aren't exactly a lot of arenas in the country to use.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->