"Sources say Kings will open 2007-08 in London, England"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juni

Mar 24, 2004
London, England
www.thechels.net
I'm upping this to rage just a little bit. The following is taken from my ticket order

NHL LA Kings V Anaheim Ducks
The O2, London, UK
Sat 29 Sep 2007, 20:00

8pm GMT faceoff right. Well, it's been changed to 5pm (Noon ET, 9am West Coast) and it leaves me with a problem because as a Chelsea season ticket holder, I'm now going to have to miss a big derby clash against Fulham on that same afternoon because it kicks off at 3pm and finishes at 4.45pm, and it's not going to be possible to get from SW6 to Greenwich in that time.

The only reason I can see for the change is television and that absolutely sucks. These are two West Coast teams opening the season and their fans back in California are gonna have to get up at 9am on a Saturday morning to see them when it was originally scheduled for a more weekend-friendly noon? Give me a break.

Absolutely steaming with rage at the NHL here, they've not even publicised the change of time, I found it on THN's published schedule and then checked for ratification on NHL.com and theo2.co.uk.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Why would the move the game time from 8 local time? If it was at 8 that means the game would be on at 11am in California which would make it easier for the 2 teams fans to watch?

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
Is a match like this to 'grow' the game in another country, or is the NHL testing the waters for some sort of NHL Europe?

I am happy for the people of England who love hockey and the NHL. But from a NHL stand point this is stupid. They are having trouble marketing the game in the US nevermind taking it abroad. Bettman is trying to copy the NBA and the NFL and bring the NHL everywhere. The only difference is the NBA and NFL are established the in US and the NHL is not. Bad move

This is one game, and while the NHL might not be where it could be in the USA how much else can they do?
They put teams to Southern U.S. cities, and all those cities the game has begun to grow at a grassroots level. The missing ingredient at this point is time.

Making hockey a more affordable sport to play would definatly help, but unfortunatly it seems to be going in the opposite direction.

Last edited:

Old Hickory

I
The only reason I can see for the change is television and that absolutely sucks. These are two West Coast teams opening the season and their fans back in California are gonna have to get up at 9am on a Saturday morning to see them when it was originally scheduled for a more weekend-friendly noon? Give me a break.

Exactly

The NFL doesn't even start that early

nyrmetros

May 3, 2007
wow that stinks. Hopefully Brian McBride will score 3 goals and sink chelsea to the grave.

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
VERSUS will at least air the Sunday matchup. Saturday will depend on a Big 12 game scheduled to start at 12:30, but I doubt it will start at such a time, because the Big 12 teams are in the Central and Mountain time zones.

Jul 26, 2007
Vermont
By the way, all tickets are sold out for both games, and have been for a while now - I've got the expensive tix for both games... wasn't gonna miss it being on my doorstep!

Proby24

Jul 15, 2003
I bought tickets for both games when they came out but have heard nothing since, has anyone been sent their tickets or is that still awhile off?

hluraven

Aug 15, 2005
London
They (ticketmaster) never send out tickets until a couple of weeks before an event in the UK. Something to do with reducing fraud/online touting.

vexXed

Oct 23, 2005
Hong Kong
no, they should really consider open the season in hong kong! Cant get any more rad to play on the eigth floor in a shopping mall/

Haha I second that, I mean, after a shift they could check out Hong Kong harbour behind them. Although it would be great for us, it would be a waste of time for them if you think about Hong Kong's small hockey existance. Perhaps in the future though?

vexXed

Oct 23, 2005
Hong Kong
I am happy for the people of England who love hockey and the NHL. But from a NHL stand point this is stupid. They are having trouble marketing the game in the US nevermind taking it abroad. Bettman is trying to copy the NBA and the NFL and bring the NHL everywhere. The only difference is the NBA and NFL are established the in US and the NHL is not. Bad move

I gotta say that a couple of NHL quality games in a country which has the potential to welcome and lure future fans to the game of hockey is a good move. So the Kings and Ducks miss a couple of games out of their 82 game schedule... just treat it as an away game that you can't make. After being in the UK for 10 years, previous posters are right - the existing fans are passionate for their teams and hockey is the number 1 North American sport to exist in the UK as of now. Publicity is what it needs.

If they are having trouble marketing it in the states then why not try abroad too? It's not like the whole league is moving to another country, its two teams and two games... The trade off is certainly worth it and may work wonders for the game of hockey in the UK.

Taylor168

Sep 18, 2004
it shouldnt even matter what time the game is played back home in California...it's not like anyone watches it or anything.

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
it shouldnt even matter what time the game is played back home in California...it's not like anyone watches it or anything.

Yeah, nobody is going to care about the defending Stanley Cup champion or anything...

nye

Mar 25, 2007
Siberia
I gotta say that a couple of NHL quality games in a country which has the potential to welcome and lure future fans to the game of hockey is a good move. So the Kings and Ducks miss a couple of games out of their 82 game schedule... just treat it as an away game that you can't make. After being in the UK for 10 years, previous posters are right - the existing fans are passionate for their teams and hockey is the number 1 North American sport to exist in the UK as of now. Publicity is what it needs.

If they are having trouble marketing it in the states then why not try abroad too? It's not like the whole league is moving to another country, its two teams and two games... The trade off is certainly worth it and may work wonders for the game of hockey in the UK.

Conquer the US through the back door.

Get one of the princes playing ice hockey and watch American celebrities line up to get into hockey games. Once celebrities buy in the rest will follow.

Right about now I'm picturing Bettman watching sharks swim in the big picture window...

Fugu

I think it's been confirmed by now that the Kings will open in London, and we also know who gets to join them. Someone can start a new thread if they're so inclined, but this one is a bit stale...

Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad