Confirmed with Link: Soshnikov to KHL? (Nope, 1 year extension)

BuLLeT1291

Dec 16, 2010
Saw this on the main board somewhere.

“Per the
BO the following players coming to #KHLthis offseason - Nikolay Kulemin (#NYI), Anton Slepyshev (#Oilers), Viktor Antipin (#Sabres), Nikita Soshnikov (#Blues), Rinat Valiev (#Habs), Sergej Tolchinsky (#Canes), Radel Fazleev (#Flyers), Andrei Pedan (#Pens), Yaroslav Dyblenko (#NJDevils), Yakov Trenin (#Preds), Sergei Boykov (#Avalanche)”

I mean I know he wasn’t really in our long term plans but I wonder what would drive him back to KHL.

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
Saw this on the main board somewhere.

“Per the
BO the following players coming to #KHLthis offseason - Nikolay Kulemin (#NYI), Anton Slepyshev (#Oilers), Viktor Antipin (#Sabres), Nikita Soshnikov (#Blues), Rinat Valiev (#Habs), Sergej Tolchinsky (#Canes), Radel Fazleev (#Flyers), Andrei Pedan (#Pens), Yaroslav Dyblenko (#NJDevils), Yakov Trenin (#Preds), Sergei Boykov (#Avalanche)”

I mean I know he wasn’t really in our long term plans but I wonder what would drive him back to KHL.

Thanks for posting.

Opportunity to play big minutes and develop his offensive game is my guess. Getting buried in the Toronto minors probably left a bad taste in his mouth.

I want him back badly though. He plays desperate, with reckless abandon. No wonder he gets banged up. I'll take his play and injury time off over most though.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
well, let's hope the handful of games he appeared in for STL amount to more than the 4th round pick would have. That transaction is looking like a bust right about now. Can't fault him (Army) for trying though.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Eh, sucks it didn't work out. I think he can be a reliable NHL 3rd liner, but he'll make more money and will likely be more comfortable in Russia so I can hardly fault him.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
If true (and this isn’t the first time we’re hearing this rumor now), that’s a bit of a bummer. I really thought he would be the de facto Upshall replacement, if nothing else.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Playing in the NHL is a dream for many kids. If it isn’t his dream, he should move on and leave this opportunity open for somebody who wants it.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Have no fear, Armstrong loves himself some 3rd and 4th liners on ridiculous contracts. Give it 3 years and he'll be back on a 3 year contract worth at least 3.33 million a year.

Obviously I'm saying this in jest. I actually liked his game and thought he'd be an excellent 4th liner this season with Brodziak and Barbashev or Jaskin on the left wing.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
At the risk of evoking some lingering Sobotka angst, I would like to point out that we would retain his NHL rights if he moves on to the KHL since he is a RFA. I think all we have to do is make him a qualifying offer to freeze the restriction of his rights until (and if) he returns to the NHL.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
If he comes back or goes to the KHL, either way, it doesn't move my needle much. We have bigger issues to address than getting wrapped up with this drama.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Even if he goes, we'll hold his NHL rights for (I think) 3 years. It's not out of the question that he plays a year or two in the KHL and then comes back if both sides think he is NHL capable.

I'd like to see him get a shot to get 3rd line minutes next year, but I'd expect him to land on our 4th line if he stays in the NHL. I hope we offer him a one way contract with some assurance that he'll get 4th line playing time instead of being sent to the AHL. I'll be sad to see him go if that's not enough, but it's pretty far down my list of concerns. He shouldn't be guaranteed anything beyond that and the loss of a 2019 4th rounder doesn't burn me up much. That's a calculated gamble I'll take every time.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I think we have a pretty good relationship with Milstein, so I think we’ll get a pretty fair shake at things at least. I think Sosh has value, and I’d hate to lose him for nothing so soon after acquiring him. If he wants to go home, that’s his call, but I feel good about having Milstein there advising him. He’s a bit of a nut job, but he seems to be a good agent that appreciates what the Blues are doing. I seem to remember him being fairly complementary after we drafted Kostin last year

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I still can't get too upset worrying about what is going to happen to a guy who in one season played 56 games and was 5g/4a/9pt. This just feels like Sobotka Part Two...feels he is better than where the team is slotting him. We've got guys who are probably better for an offensive minded 3rd line such as Blais, Thompson, and to some extent, Jaskin.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
News Bulletin: Blues trade 4th round pick for Soshnikov
Majorityof1: Meh, whatever, he's an ok player, I like him alright but end of the day, he's just a 4th liner. No big deal.
Rest of HF Blues: No, he is a spark plug, flies over the ice, hits people, has a tremendous shot. He is exactly what this team needs.

...a few months later...

News Bulletin
: Soshnikov considering return to the KHL.
Rest of HF Blues: Meh, whatever, he's an ok player, I like him alright but end of the day, he's just a 4th liner. No big deal.
Majoriityof1: :huh:

:sarcasm: Just teasing guys. I know I am over-simplifying board opinion, but the shift is kind of funny....at least to me.

Reactions: mk80 and Brian39

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
He could easily become our best bottom 6 player. Speed, energy, ability to score and likes to hit and play hard. Only minus is that he gets injured easily.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
He could easily become our best bottom 6 player. Speed, energy, ability to score and likes to hit and play hard. Only minus is that he gets injured easily.
We've been saying the same thing about Jaskin for several seasons now. I don't tend to get too excited over guys who are easily replaceable on the roster. The AHL is awash with guys who fit that same bill and never came to fruition because they are too easy to replace if they don't pan out quickly.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
At the risk of evoking some lingering Sobotka angst, I would like to point out that we would retain his NHL rights if he moves on to the KHL since he is a RFA. I think all we have to do is make him a qualifying offer to freeze the restriction of his rights until (and if) he returns to the NHL.
The Sobotka situation was strange because we initiated the arbitration process before he signed in the KHL. That meant that he was bound by that process.

Qualifying Soshnikov would mean that we retain his rights until he is eligible for UFA, which would be July 2021.

Reactions: 67Blues

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Jaskin will get drafted by Seattle and his numbers will go skyhigh. Seattle will have a 100 pt reg season and be in the WCF.

<COUGH>

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
We've been saying the same thing about Jaskin for several seasons now. I don't tend to get too excited over guys who are easily replaceable on the roster. The AHL is awash with guys who fit that same bill and never came to fruition because they are too easy to replace if they don't pan out quickly.
I get what you're saying, but can't recall the words "speed, energy, ability to score," ever being used to describe Jaskin... :laugh:

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I get what you're saying, but can't recall the words "speed, energy, ability to score," ever being used to describe Jaskin... :laugh:
From inside hockey just for giggles :laugh: Jaskin Emerging as Future Cornerstone for Blues
Before Dmitrij Jaskin became a physical force for the St. Louis Blues, he honed his game with the Moncton Wildcats, and later with the Chicago Wolves. His willingness to battle, ability to drive the puck to the net using his powerful frame, along with his soft hands and wicked shot make him a threat to score every time he is on the ice and be a dominant power forward in the NHL.
Blues fans have a lot to be excited about with Dmitrij Jaskin, as he continues to develop before their eyes into one of the most dominant power forwards in the NHL.

Reactions: stl76

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I like Soshnikov, but we have bottom 6 players coming out of our bungholes ( TT, Sanford, Foley, Stevens, Blais, Steen, Berglund, Sobotka, Barbashev, Jaskin).

Its the top 6 im more worried about (Tarasenko, Schwartz, Schenn, Fabbri, X, X )

Edit: Thomas and Kyrou are the real wild cards that would help this team Immensely in the VERY near future. Kostin isnt far off either

Reactions: 67Blues

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Playing in the NHL is a dream for many kids. If it isn’t his dream, he should move on and leave this opportunity open for somebody who wants it.

Yep, all those little Russian kids' greatest dream is to leave their homeland, family and friends and play a sport on the other side of the world. Soshnikov must be some kind of selfish, ungrateful jerk for wanting to go home, earn more money and have a more important role in his team.

Reactions: stl76 and RoarBacon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad