Sorry To Ruin The Draft For You....

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
clefty said:
Well obviously, someone (probably Toews) moves to the wing. Its not that uncommon.

Probably the next three best players after Erik Johnson are all centers. Its not like we're going to have much of a choice.

Right, but Kessel has considerable experience on the wing and his style of game favors a move to that position in the pros. IMO he's the best suited of the top centers in this draft to make that transition.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
I thought the team that wins the Cup is the one that picks in 30th position? In which case....YAAAAY!!! :D

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
Can't see the Rangers taking another defenseman when they so desperately need a center. They can't predict trades, and it seems at this point the Rangers are likely to do so.

knight44

Jul 31, 2005
Toronto
I really dont think the AVS will go after a forward in the 1st 3 rounds, i think they will finally address their lack of D prospect depth!

Transported Upstater

Rabid Ranger said:
Right, but Kessel has considerable experience on the wing and his style of game favors a move to that position in the pros. IMO he's the best suited of the top centers in this draft to make that transition.

I 100% agree.

I don't even know why so many people consider Kessel a center at the NHL level.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
Le Golie said:
If their scouts feel the best player available is an offensive minded defenceman, they'll be taking him.
They won't take a d-man in the first. And Sanguinetti is not the best player available at 8 no matter how the first 7 go.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
BPA always rules, no matter what. Obviously if they find themselves in that situation, they should resolve it by trading down.

They could very well believe Sanguinetti, Williams or Wishart is the 8th best prospect. After all they ranked Logan Stephenson in their top 15 last year I believe - a guy who was ranked outside the top 60 on most charts.

I dont think this guy is even doing a mock draft - he's probably just pegging in the names and will move them around as it happens.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
Gwyddbwyll said:
BPA always rules, no matter what. Obviously if they find themselves in that situation, they should resolve it by trading down.

They could very well believe Sanguinetti, Williams or Wishart is the 8th best prospect. After all they ranked Logan Stephenson in their top 15 last year I believe - a guy who was ranked outside the top 60 on most charts.

I dont think this guy is even doing a mock draft - he's probably just pegging in the names and will move them around as it happens.
If they take a d-man in the first they are making a huge error, in my opinion.

If they believe any of those 3 are in the top 8 BPA's in this draft they are making a huge error, in my opinion.

Yes they look to have made a good choice with Stephenson higher than most had him pegged, but he could still fizzle out. And it was a 2nd round pick. I'd rather they didn't gamble with the first rounder this year.

As for trading down, I would hate to see that happen but you are right, if the guys they think warrant that pick are already gone by 8 they should trade down a bit if possible. But not much, wwe need to stay in the top 12 or so to ensure we get an Okposo, Sheppard, Little, or Tlusty.

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
If the Habs end up with Wishart I'll be pretty happy. We need some more defensive depth and a big western kid would fit in perfectly.

He's really moving up though. I don't think he was this high a few months back IIRC. But he did really well at the prospects skills testing. 92 mph shot and a nice lap time for a big dman plus some good times on the dashes.

henri2014

Jul 30, 2005
I hope montreal signs Huet Before the draft and trades Aebisher at the draft to move up and grab brassard...

Wouldnt Phoenix be interested in a number one goalie?

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Maybe, but not Aebischer. If we trade down, it will only be by a few spots, and we'll be looking for picks in return.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
#66 said:
:yo: Toews over Kessel. :yo:

Admittedly, I haven't seen him play more than a handful of times. Curious to hear your opinions of him ... I've heard the arguments for Staal over Kessel (not that I agree), but not Toews.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
I'd like if Calgary took Fiala, he stepped it up in the second half, and Everett players would fit into Calgary just perfectly.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
henri2014 said:
I hope montreal signs Huet Before the draft and trades Aebisher at the draft to move up and grab brassard...

Wouldnt Phoenix be interested in a number one goalie?
If we can get Brassard at 8 we don't want Aebisher. I have a feeling Brassard will be picked around 6 or 7.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
shureshot66 said:
Admittedly, I haven't seen him play more than a handful of times. Curious to hear your opinions of him ... I've heard the arguments for Staal over Kessel (not that I agree), but not Toews.
Its just my opinion but I like Toews hands and sense alot more than Kessel's. Plus he's a more well rounded player. I think that people forget his birthdate and that he's already a good player but still very raw. Once his skating is cleaned up and he puts some meat on his bones, he does alot of corner work for a skinny kid, I think his game will improve that much more. IMO he has sense and vision like Brad Richards but has a better shot and is more combative.

As for Kessel, I just don't think that his game will adjust well to the pro's. Watching him at least once a week I found myself saying that as good a skater as he is and as hard as he shoots what has he done to really impress. Most of his goals were not great and his passes were gimmee's. A superstar creates offense and I just didn't see Kessel creating plays as much as just making the play infront of him. In the end I don't think that Kessel will bust but just not turn out as good as people think. IMO he'll be a Samsonov or Afinagenov type. More of a shooter and less of a stickhandler than those two but about the same type of player. So if Toews and Kessel are both point per game players, I would want Toews because he has more all around value.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
#66 said:
Its just my opinion but I like Toews hands and sense alot more than Kessel's. Plus he's a more well rounded player. I think that people forget his birthdate and that he's already a good player but still very raw. Once his skating is cleaned up and he puts some meat on his bones, he does alot of corner work for a skinny kid, I think his game will improve that much more. IMO he has sense and vision like Brad Richards but has a better shot and is more combative.

As for Kessel, I just don't think that his game will adjust well to the pro's. Watching him at least once a week I found myself saying that as good a skater as he is and as hard as he shoots what has he done to really impress. Most of his goals were not great and his passes were gimmee's. A superstar creates offense and I just didn't see Kessel creating plays as much as just making the play infront of him. In the end I don't think that Kessel will bust but just not turn out as good as people think. IMO he'll be a Samsonov or Afinagenov type. More of a shooter and less of a stickhandler than those two but about the same type of player. So if Toews and Kessel are both point per game players, I would want Toews because he has more all around value.

You make some decent points, but I don't understand how you can say Kessel didn't create offense this year. He basically ran the Gophers PP this year and did a pretty good job generating offense for his two linemates (Gordon and Wheeler).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->