Sony PS4 #10: The Return of the Ugly Cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
I liked Persona 4 enough but I have an open mind with games. I wouldn't recommend it to my even above average gamer. I don't like anime or I guess I don't know I wouldn't have any interest to watch it after Persona because the story was so stupid and hard to follow. That said I bought Persona 5 knowing full well I might as well check out of all things understanding any part of it.

Try to sell that to your average want to relax with a game person. We are all gamers so I think people's views of what a casual gamer are, are totally skewed.

You can go out in public and find ten dudes that own a PS4. I would guess maybe 3 of them have heard of Fallout or Skyrim, enough to talk about it. Let alone be like "have I got a game for you, it's a high school dungeon crawler from Japan!". 8/10 of them own the system to play sports games randomly and some online shooters.
I mean, he specifically said including JRPG's, and Persona quite possibly is one of the best 5 JRPG's of all time. Why wouldn't someone recommend it?

And I didn't play Persona 4 so maybe it was more complicated plot wise than 5, but I didn't find Persona 5's story to be all that complicated or convoluted, and definitely not stupid.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
If someone specifically says they're interested in JRPGs it'd be stupid to not list what is widely considered the best in recent memory...even if a Japanese Role-Playing Game may be a little, I dunno, Japanese :dunno:

Not everyone is going to love the game, but it's a popular game that has rave reviews that fits in a genre asked about. It's more of a mandatory mention than someone saying something like Tokyo Mirage Sessions or something. Now that is a damn fine JRPG that I would barely recommend to anyone.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Never meant I wouldn't recommend it to people that are into that sort of thing but just people in general, your average consumer.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
That's never stopped me before :P

But yeah, there's a difference between somebody who has a PS4 and someone who follows games and isn't just here for Madden and Call of Duty-type games.

The thing with recommending games is that everyone has different tastes, and everyone's definition of 'weird' is going to be drastically different...and plenty of mainstream stuff is absurdly weird, it's just popular enough for its inherent weirdness to cease being a defining factor of it (see: almost everything that was/is popular with kids since about the late 70s, which is usually taken at face value by kids at the time...seriously, try explaining TMNT or Power Rangers to someone who has never watched it, you'll get the same look I get when I try to explain Rick & Morty or BoJack Horseman to my 68 year-old dad). For as down as I was to play a 70 hour-long JRPG about Japanese idol culture (Tokyo Mirage Sessions) despite knowing nothing about Japanese idol culture, I can't watch wrestling with anything but a look of complete and utter bewilderment. Why? I played a lot of weird-ass Japanese games when I was a kid and my weirdness tolerance for gaming is absurdly high. Wrestling, on the other hand, played absolutely no part in my youth so I was never conditioned to just take it for what it is.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Sometimes I get a "Corrupted Data" icon. The only way I can get rid of the icon is to eject the disk (currently Kingdom Hearts 2.8) in the tray. Anybody else get this?

I had this once with Wipeout when the power went out while it was in rest mode.

Like you it didn't cause any issues.

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
I liked Persona 4 enough but I have an open mind with games. I wouldn't recommend it to my even above average gamer. I don't like anime or I guess I don't know I wouldn't have any interest to watch it after Persona because the story was so stupid and hard to follow. That said I bought Persona 5 knowing full well I might as well check out of all things understanding any part of it.

Try to sell that to your average want to relax with a game person. We are all gamers so I think people's views of what a casual gamer are, are totally skewed.

You can go out in public and find ten dudes that own a PS4. I would guess maybe 3 of them have heard of Fallout or Skyrim, enough to talk about it. Let alone be like "have I got a game for you, it's a high school dungeon crawler from Japan!". 8/10 of them own the system to play sports games randomly and some online shooters.

Thank you! This guy gets it.

It's honestly cringy to see people recommend anime to a casual gamer.

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
Thank you! This guy gets it.

It's honestly cringy to see people recommend anime to a casual gamer.

So you ignore all the posts that show that the guy wanted JRPG recommendations and instead find the one line in one post that is similar to your view?

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
So you ignore all the posts that show that the guy wanted JRPG recommendations and instead find the one line in one post that is similar to your view?

He never said he wanted anime suggestions. He was open to it. Sounded like he was just being nice to me.

Definitely a casual gamer. Definitely some cringey recommendations. That's all i'm sayin.

Move on.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Closed beta signups for DBFZ open on the 26th. Not sure if it's first-come or random draw but I imagine they're not going to have enough spots for everybody.

And also, yes, everyone please make recommendations from now on under the assumption that everyone is as uncultured as vdB. (Even when the person asking for them has an anime avatar and you recognize them from the anime thread in the entertainment board.)

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Why anyone even bothers responding to vdB at this point is beyond me.

Recommend the games you like. SEPH is perfectly capable of discerning what games he/she would like based on those recommendations.

A think a lot of the past stuff has been covered, but as for the future....I'm excited to play the Shadow of the Colossus remake (apparently it's a classic I never played) and Detroit: Become Human looks interesting. Also, the new God of War looks really good.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Danganronpa V3
.Hack//G.U. Last Recode
South Park: Fractured Butt Whole

These are the only games I have any real interest in for the remainder of the year on PS4.
Maybe Battlefront II later on. I'll wait and see what people think of it.

It might be a secret blessing in disguise that Ni No Kuni II got delayed to January.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Finally finished Until Dawn, I feel like I made some horrible choices and didn't have such a great ending. I would like to play through it again but I know a second play through will not be as fun since you mostly know what happens, still a great game though that I enjoyed.

I just started the Last of Us Remastered, never played it before.

Last edited:

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Danganronpa V3
.Hack//G.U. Last Recode
South Park: Fractured Butt Whole

These are the only games I have any real interest in for the remainder of the year on PS4.
Maybe Battlefront II later on. I'll wait and see what people think of it.

It might be a secret blessing in disguise that Ni No Kuni II got delayed to January.

Did you ever play either of the .hack series on the PS2?

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Bloodborne was my GOTY. So so good. Need that 2.

I don't know if it's an issue with the scaling (I started old hunters at the end of new game+) or they really are that hard but Laurence and orphan of kos are essentially unbeatable for me.

Great game otherwise but those two are just a nightmare. I've basically given up.

Also been playing a lot of the surge. A very good dark souls clone (and it is a clone in every sense of the word). My only problem. Is there are these spider enemies that are just painfully boring to kill. They kill you in one hit with their leap attack but if you stay close and party again and again they're harmless. Only problem is it takes roughly a minute of partying to kill each one.

Outside of that it's a very good game and the bosses are actually more legend of Zelda like than dark souls. They've got weak points you need to figure out and all that.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2006
New Zealand
I remember seeing the Uncharted series being able to play for the PS4, or is it a remastered PS4 game instead?

Honestly, anything including JRPGs. I love sports, but I do not care for baseball so no desire for The Show.

In terms of sports games, Madden is kind of the same old same old, the NHL series last good iteration was on the previous generation of consoles, the NBA 2k series is still fairly well regarded but I haven't played the last couple of versions, FIFA is the best football game (some people prefer PES but it doesn't have licensed players) I play the ultimate team mode on that quite frequently. Although the reddit fifa community might be the angriest online gaming fanbase i've seen :laugh:

I'm like you and have no interest in baseball but The Show is frequently mentioned as one of the best sports games around.

Rocket League is basically football with cars and is a ton of fun.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Thread needs more Dragon Ball FighterZ

Stoked we are getting a DBZ fighting game like this. I need to try it out.

Just a headsup on this, Closed Beta signup has been delayed to August 22nd. The reasoning is supposidly they want to allow more people into the beta.

The Closed Beta is from September 16-18.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I see now why the July PS+ line-up is good, the store (EU store at least, not sure about NA) has a "15 months for the price of 12" -offer for the next week, for members who don't have an active PS+ subscription.

I'll be surprised if the August line-up has anything worth mentioning.
Just Cause 3 for August, colour me surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->