Sony PS4 #10: The Return of the Ugly Cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
You guys should read the article behind that, Kodera said 2021 is when they’ll be looking to replace the PS4. Final phase means that they see sales of the console plateauing and revenue on the PS4 shifting from primarily hardware sales to primarily software and subscriptions, not that it was the end of the PS4.

That tweet paraphrased what he said pretty horribly actually.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I don't know why 2019 would piss people off as that is a 6 year cycle right there, which is normal. PS1 to PS2 in NA was 6 years. PS2 to PS3 was 6 years. PS3 to PS4 was the longest at 7 years. Plus, with the hardware changes and the fact that consoles now run on basically the same kind of shit that PCs do, the cycle could be even smaller than 6 years in due time. But yeah, PS4 came out in 2013, so 6 years (end of 2019), sounds reasonable, especially if it has BC.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Look at the jump from 8-bit to 16-bit, it was huge.
Look at the jump from 16-bit to 32/64-bit, it was huge.
Look at the jump from 32/64-bit to smoother 3D that was capable in the 6th generation, it was huge.
Look at the jump from the those to HD that followed that, it was huge.

The jump to 4K isn't huge...especially not when they already sold many of us consoles with 4K capabilities over the past year and a half or so.

The hardware manufacturers have to justify new hardware. If you don't...well that's how you get the Wii U. I get why Microsoft would be eager for a fresh start, and if they do that Sony can't twiddle their thumbs...but I'm just not expecting the PS5 games to look all that different than PS4 Pro games. The biggest thing that could use a real power push is VR stuff, which is a tough sell when VR is languishing.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Here's an article from Hexus speculating on the underlying AMD Ryzen technology for the PS5. Also refers to a new console in the next year or two, but we'll see:

Sony will leverage AMD Ryzen tech in the PS5 suggests report

Look at the jump from 8-bit to 16-bit, it was huge.
Look at the jump from 16-bit to 32/64-bit, it was huge.
Look at the jump from 32/64-bit to smoother 3D that was capable in the 6th generation, it was huge.
Look at the jump from the those to HD that followed that, it was huge.

The jump to 4K isn't huge...especially not when they already sold many of us consoles with 4K capabilities over the past year and a half or so.

The hardware manufacturers have to justify new hardware. If you don't...well that's how you get the Wii U. I get why Microsoft would be eager for a fresh start, and if they do that Sony can't twiddle their thumbs...but I'm just not expecting the PS5 games to look all that different than PS4 Pro games. The biggest thing that could use a real power push is VR stuff, which is a tough sell when VR is languishing.

While true, I think Sony's VR platform has been the most attainable so they may try to push it.

Also, I think the sales of the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X show a market for higher end consoles that can push higher frame rates. I could easily see Sony wanting to push that envelope, but who knows what tech they might have in store for the PS5?

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
If they can get some really good Ryzen work and maybe something that is AT LEAST a 580 (maybe a 680 if it's a higher end card by the end of this year), I could see them completely trounce the X.

If they can get 10 TFLOPS by the end of 2019, then it would be all worth it.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
lol at PS5

I am still waiting to buy a PS4 later this year when Spider-Man comes out....and even then I think I still might balk at the price. Its still gonna cost me $400 for a console that they have already announced is being phased out.

Remember when consoles got cheaper as their lifecycle neared its end? :thumbd:

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
$400 for the Pro. Remember, the X is still $500. While the regular can be down to $250, the Pro came out less than 2 years ago. It will probably have a big sale for Black Friday as well.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
lol at PS5

I am still waiting to buy a PS4 later this year when Spider-Man comes out....and even then I think I still might balk at the price. Its still gonna cost me $400 for a console that they have already announced is being phased out.

They do get very cheap around black Friday, but yes the Canadian dollar crashing around the time of its release made it a rare situation where the retail price actually increased as time went on if I'm not mistaken

Reactions: Pilky01

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
lol at PS5

I still play my PS3. I'm currently playing Persona 5 on PS3 and then I'm gonna play the MGS collection. I still play Dragons Crown from time to time as well. I never bothered to buy a PS4 as the majority of my gaming is done on PC. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills hearing all this PS5 talk.

Reactions: Pilky01

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
They do get very cheap around black Friday, but yes the Canadian dollar crashing around the time of its release made it a rare situation where the retail price actually increased as time went on if I'm not mistaken
I bought mine like 10 months after it came out and I paid 450 when it came out at $399 iirc.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I still play my PS3. I'm currently playing Persona 5 on PS3 and then I'm gonna play the MGS collection. I still play Dragons Crown from time to time as well. I never bothered to buy a PS4 as the majority of my gaming is done on PC. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills hearing all this PS5 talk.

If they released a version of Spider-Man on PS3 I would just buy it for that.

I have a PS3 with some downloaded games on it, NBA Jam, Pac Man, Burnout Paradise, Ni No Kuni, TLoU, Bioshock: Infinite, and a bunch more.

Hell I feel like I am talking myself out of a PS4 right now....:laugh:.....there are lots of PS3 games I either haven't played, or just haven't played enough of.

Reactions: sabresfan129103

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
If they released a version of Spider-Man on PS3 I would just buy it for that.

I have a PS3 with some downloaded games on it, NBA Jam, Pac Man, Burnout Paradise, Ni No Kuni, TLoU, Bioshock: Infinite, and a bunch more.

Hell I feel like I am talking myself out of a PS4 right now....:laugh:.....there are lots of PS3 games I either haven't played, or just haven't played enough of.

yeah, I've never played TLOU. I think you can buy it used for 10 bucks these days. I'll probably get that eventually as well. The only PS4 game I feel like I'm really missing out on is Bloodborne. I'm a huge Souls fan and I've played every other game in the series.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
If they can get some really good Ryzen work and maybe something that is AT LEAST a 580 (maybe a 680 if it's a higher end card by the end of this year), I could see them completely trounce the X.

If they can get 10 TFLOPS by the end of 2019, then it would be all worth it.
The X gpu is better than the 580.

Im not sure what the ps5 will look like but im not particularly excited if its just gonna be like what top end pc hardware is right now.

I will say my complaint about this gen is that the visuals are far too soft. DOOM, Horizon, etc, these games that people think look so amazing to me have a blurriness to them I find really distracting. The emphasis on getting rid of jaggies has really sacrificed clarity

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
$400 for the Pro. Remember, the X is still $500. While the regular can be down to $250, the Pro came out less than 2 years ago. It will probably have a big sale for Black Friday as well.

In Canadia bucks, the Pro is $500 and the X is $600.

The PS4 Slim usually comes in around the $350-$375 mark here.

I mean, the PS4 came out in 2013. The PS3 came out end of 2006. A PS5 in 2019/2020 seems about right, no?

Nothing wrong with skipping a generation.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
The X is limited by it's slower Jaguar cores.

In theory, a Ryzen based APU with similar graphical power would have the advantage.
True, and Digital Foundry did a video on this last year, Downclocked a Ryzen 1700 to 3 GHz, disabled 4 cores and paired it with a Titan X to give an idea of cpu bottleneck

Solid results, Witcher 3 (lots of draw distance) gets 110-120 fps, Just Cause 3 (super physics heavy) 60-80 fps, AC Unity (huge npc numbers) gets around 60-70 fps

I guess it all depends on what they can do with it graphically, which is to me why you release a new console.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I'd say a new console should be released not just to get a better GPU that would allow for more TFLOPS, but move to an actual capable CPU in this day and age. Seriously, the Jaguar CPU is f***ing awful for both the PS4 and One.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
It's apparently getting decent reviews. Seems to be a much more solid entry and the best one since Heavy Rain.

I mean, 78 on Gamerankings and dropping. As useless as scored reviews are, that's bad for a AAA release. It's lucky that its most scathing reviews seem to be unscored or in-progress on top of that.

"Remember this is not just a story. This is our future," she says ominously...The aggrandizement of this statement sets the tone for the rest of the game, with its ham-fisted dialogue, questionable optics, and juvenile desperation to be taken as Serious Art About Social Commentary. It’s the first hint at how profoundly, confidently ignorant Quantic Dream is about how the future, history, society, oppression, and even human beings work.

Sounds like every other game they've made.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Just got my copy of Detroit in the mail today from amazon. Looks like someone messed up at the post office lol

Doesn’t come out until midnight tonight, digitally at least.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I don't know why 2019 would piss people off as that is a 6 year cycle right there, which is normal. PS1 to PS2 in NA was 6 years. PS2 to PS3 was 6 years. PS3 to PS4 was the longest at 7 years. Plus, with the hardware changes and the fact that consoles now run on basically the same kind of **** that PCs do, the cycle could be even smaller than 6 years in due time. But yeah, PS4 came out in 2013, so 6 years (end of 2019), sounds reasonable, especially if it has BC.

2019 would piss me off because a PS4 Pro is still $500+taxes in Canada. Almost $600 for a console approaching the end of its lifespan is too much.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Then don't get a Pro. Neither it or the One X were ever going to be worthwhile investments for most people.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Then don't get a Pro. Neither it or the One X were ever going to be worthwhile investments for most people.

I continue to read plenty about new AAA games performing poorly on base PS4s. With three years left in the cycle its not going to get better.

And I think you misunderstand what im saying, the fact there is still three years left in the cycle means I will be springing the extra cash for a Pro.

If there was only one year left, $500+ would be too much. Im waiting to see if anyone has E3 sales on, at which point I'll be buying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad