Sony PS4 #10: The Return of the Ugly Cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I don't know if it's available in North America too but there's a Rock of Ages bundle with the first and second games on sale and I'd definitely recommend them.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I think a 30 hour game with lots of extra content or a good multiplayer game is what I usually go with. 15-20 hours actually is a great length but not enough to buy at full price for me.

I've never bought an uncharted for that reason always rented or borrowed.

That said, I'm not fond of the Ubisoft or Skyrim open world model of running long distances waiting to come across something, I would like to see a more refined smaller scale version of that. Deus ex for how flawed it was had a version of the nice closed down open world I like.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Saw Persona 5 on sale and got motivated to replay it on NG+. Can’t believe it’s been a year since it was released already.

Still don’t know if I like it more than 4Golden, but man it’s easy to lose yourself in.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Yeah, I heard Persona is easily a 100+ hour experience, which easily makes it worth the money..especially at $35. Far too many AAA titles are 12-20 hour experiences now it seems. The P5 scores are almost unanimously great. Wanted to buy it awhile back but was waiting for it to go on sale. That and my backlog is ridiculous. :laugh:

As for Berseria, I’m a fan of the Tales series but Zestiria was a bit of a letdown. Was a decent game but something just felt off. Berseria sounds like it was a nice return to form.

Eh, I wasn't overly impressed with Berseria. Strong start that bogs down hard towards the middle of the game. I'm not even convinced it's better than Zestiria, much less an entry like Vesperia. Maybe I'm just spoiled because Vesperia was my first Tales game. Haven't really been that impressed by any other Tales game. Graces X was pretty good.

As far as JRPG's this generation go, there's a pretty significant gap between the top 3 (Persona 5, Ni No Kuni 2, and I Am Setsuna) and the rest, IMO.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
What? There are places on the map you can quick access

Took me a long time to figure that out, even then there’s like no markers of where to go. Like to the weapon store which part of this multi map downtown is it in? No indication until you memorize everything on the map..

Or maybe I’m just an idiot. Could very well be.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Now that I've finally beaten God of War...i...I don't know what to do :laugh: My PS4 was gathering dust for a couple months there and its still a bit of a wait till Spiderman and Spyro

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Unbeknownst to me (and maybe you guys' can help me on this) as I've never played a Persona game before I might have truly **** up in Persona 5. I saw the calendar and it shows you guys and I that you have three more remaining months after December. Well, it sounds based upon the game storyline that there is a do or die mission on December 24th to finish the game (again might be wrong since I am trying to avoid spoilers). ****, just complete ****. I was planning on actually going in and completing Mementos by myself to try and unlock Mona's secret, which it still might do, but I haven't completed like 60% of my other confidants yet which I was planning to do for the months after the Cruise Ship palace.

I read that Persona are games not meant to be beat on the first walkthrough, but it still drives me ****ing crazy that I couldn't finish all my confidant stories in one play through. I totally get not making all the trophies accessible on a single campaign run, but not sure how I can see myself wanting to put in another 60 hours considering how many Ps4 games I've haven't even touched yet. That makes me really sad if all I said turns out to be true as this game was becoming the best game I've ever played....

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Maxing every social link in your first Persona game without using a day-by-day guide would be borderline wizardry, tbh. Even having played the other games multiple times I didn't manage to max out everybody in P5. I got everybody to 10 except for the gun guy, who I got to 8 before I had the same realization that you did.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I certainly didn't max every social link in my playthrough. Heck, I didn't even realize how to unlock one until almost the last month.

It didn't ruin my appreciation for the game one bit, even though I'd have liked to max them all out.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I didn't get every social links maxed out on my first playthrough, BUT I did get all of my social stats maxed out, which do carry over into the NG+, so I don't ever need to worry about them again.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Maxing every social link in your first Persona game without using a day-by-day guide would be borderline wizardry, tbh. Even having played the other games multiple times I didn't manage to max out everybody in P5. I got everybody to 10 except for the gun guy, who I got to 8 before I had the same realization that you did.
Yeah, there is no way I would have ever wanted and enjoyed Persona by doing a day-by-day guide which would have turned the game into a chore for me.

I certainly didn't max every social link in my playthrough. Heck, I didn't even realize how to unlock one until almost the last month.

It didn't ruin my appreciation for the game one bit, even though I'd have liked to max them all out.
I am not saying the game sucks or anything like that, it still will go down as one of the best games I've ever played. However, that doesn't mean I can't be disappointed as well. I just think that how the game is made and how it is supposed to be played you should have enough time to max all your confidants. Now if I was going to give my review of the game here, I would prefer that in Persona 6 you have way less confidants and spend that time in game development to create deeper relationships with your teammates if that makes sense. For example, if you get in a relationship nobody knows who you're dating which actually takes away from the storyline. I get that they do that for you to potentially date everyone, but again it's quite superficial in the end. Get rid of at least 8 confidants and make the other individual stories deeper and perhaps tie it in with the main storyline if possible. That, and make your player model move much more fluid while also getting rid of at least 40% of invisible walls. I would also like the stealth features to be improved.

I didn't get every social links maxed out on my first playthrough, BUT I did get all of my social stats maxed out, which do carry over into the NG+, so I don't ever need to worry about them again.
You saying that the the ratings I have now will carry over into the new game? If so, that makes it much easier to deal with. You'll just need to unlock the characters again, correct?

Last edited:

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Persona 5 NG+ carry-overs:

• Social Stats
  • Inventory Items
  • Money
  • Compendium
  • Personas (Have to resummon from compendium)
Levels do NOT carry over.

All you need to do with that then is to max out everyone ASAP and get all the other personas. The fact that you can keep all your items and gear is f***ing phenomenal though.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Persona 5 NG+ carry-overs:

• Social Stats
  • Inventory Items
  • Money
  • Compendium
  • Personas (Have to resummon from compendium)
Levels do NOT carry over.
So you saying that my level 8 with Hifumi or whatever the chess player's name is won't carry over to NG+, even though there is nothing I could have done since I had to go back to the Mementos to change her mother's heart? Ughhh, that kills my desire to play another playthrough.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I'm due a third playthrough of P5...

And yeah...even attempting to max out social links on your first attempt is a rookie mistake (did it with P4G). To be able to do that you'd be pushing a 100+ hour game even further.

So you saying that my level 8 with Hifumi or whatever the chess player's name is won't carry over to NG+, even though there is nothing I could have done since I had to go back to the Mementos to change her mother's heart? Ughhh, that kills my desire to play another playthrough.

Social stats carry over. Made completing the social links a relative breeze on my second playthrough.

Reactions: Turin and S E P H

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I'm due a third playthrough of P5...

And yeah...even attempting to max out social links on your first attempt is a rookie mistake (did it with P4G). To be able to do that you'd be pushing a 100+ hour game even further.

Social stats carry over. Made completing the social links a relative breeze on my second playthrough.
Ah okay, I was confused if SolidSnake meant the Persona levels or the confidant levels. That makes me want to continue the game even more then...

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
I'll eventually get around to doing a 3rd playthrough of Persona 5 myself one day, but I'd like to do another playthrough of 4 and possibly 3 before I would do so.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I'm just loving how Sony is humiliating EA for their stance that single-player games don't have a future. Not to even mention Nintendo here... it's really ugly for EA suits.

One company (it's studios) has 2 huge single-player games with no micro-transactions released around 1 year apart, the other one loves them and designs their games around micro-transactions.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I'll eventually get around to doing a 3rd playthrough of Persona 5 myself one day, but I'd like to do another playthrough of 4 and possibly 3 before I would do so.

They seriously need to re-release Persona 3 FES. I have P3 Portable but it’s a clear step back and I don’t really want to play it having already played P4G and 5.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
I could have swore we used to have a Persona 5 thread, but I can't find it to save my life. Anyways just started playing it. I finished Persona 4 about a week, or so ago. I'm looking forward to when I get to the 4 or 5 hour point when I can actually start doing social links and dungeons.

Common Sense

Dec 29, 2010
I finally beat P5 after 119 hours and Im starting an Ng+ platinum run. I missed the politician confidant first time around and apparently missed some stupid text for one of the mementos requests so I have to worry about those all over again.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I never did do the text for mementos. Mainly because that would take for-f***ing-ever. But yeah, since I have all my social stats maxed and have good equipment, it will be way easier to go back and finish some shit up. Also, I will try to capture more demons and if need be, literally print out the whole compendium.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
That text achievement was annoying, but not half as bad as the equivalent in P4G...which hasn't popped for me after 2.5 playthroughs and I have no clue how close it is to ever popping. This one popped midway through my second playthrough, before I really started to worry about it.

P5 was my first platinum, and it really wasn't too messy getting it in the second playthrough...it's just a matter of having the time available to play that game through twice.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I always wonder why RPGs seem to attract completionists more than other genres of games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad