Sony PS4 #10: The Return of the Ugly Cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I've heard the same thing about the Pro.

Got the God of War Pro today, played a couple hours, didn't have this issue. Probably just cause it's brand new? Not sure though.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Hi all,

Im just about ready to pull the trigger on a Playstation. Is it worth it to buy a Pro?

I dont have a 4K TV and do not plan on getting one in the near future. I only care about gameplay performance. Is the upgraded performance worth the additional $150? Like, in a game such as Monster Hunter, is there a significant problem with framerate on the standard PS4? Is every game from here on out going to need a Pro to run adequately?

Convince me one way or the other. That extra money for the Pro could go towards games.

Aside ~ Are there any rumblings of PS5 coming? Should I just wait? I want to get at least two years of meaningful use from this system.

Thanks

Its not worth it if you don't have a 4k tv plain and simple. Most games don't even turn the settings up so you're literally just paying for slightly better antialiasing if you don't have a 4k tv

The overwhelming majority of games also don't offer improved frame rates in terms of going from 30 fps to 60. I think the surge is the only notable game that does that off the top of my head.

Without a 4K TV, or plans to upgrade soon, there's really no reason to get a Pro over the base model. We're closer to the launch of the PS5 than the PS4 to be sure, but I'd be shocked if we see anything firmly pointing to the PS5 until next year's E3. I'd bet you'll get your 2 years out of it.

Some reports coming out now that God of War is really badly chugging on standard PS4s. This is what Im afraid of. I really dont want to spend the remainder of this generation worrying that my PS4 is going to explode running any new AAA game.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Bought this last night. Should be fun when it comes out. I never got to beat the first one, but I did put over 100 hours into it. This is when it was on the PS2 and before it became a PS2 Classics version (so I have the original box). I also own this on PC as well.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Some reports coming out now that God of War is really badly chugging on standard PS4s. This is what Im afraid of. I really dont want to spend the remainder of this generation worrying that my PS4 is going to explode running any new AAA game.
All I've heard about is the fans being too loud, which wont damage your ps4

Base model performance is at 16 minutes in

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
So fans going off like a jet on a runway isn’t a bad thing?

My launch PS4 does it with MLB a lot makes me feel like it’s on its last legs.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
So fans going off like a jet on a runway isn’t a bad thing?

My launch PS4 does it with MLB a lot makes me feel like it’s on its last legs.
It is a bad thing, because it's loud and distracting. It doesn't mean it's dying.

I've had the fans blare on my ps4 for other games too, my GTX 1080 does the same thing and it's brand new. All computer components (and I would be shocked if consoles didn't do the same) monitor their temps and throttle before they get damaged, that's also the point of the fans blowing. The fans being loud don't mean it's dying, it could just mean there's dust in there so the fans have to work harder to keep things cool(though it doesn't necessarily mean that either).

Reactions: Oscar Acosta

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
It is a bad thing, because it's loud and distracting. It doesn't mean it's dying.

I've had the fans blare on my ps4 for other games too, my GTX 1080 does the same thing and it's brand new. All computer components (and I would be shocked if consoles didn't do the same) monitor their temps and throttle before they get damaged, that's also the point of the fans blowing. The fans being loud don't mean it's dying, it could just mean there's dust in there so the fans have to work harder to keep things cool(though it doesn't necessarily mean that either).
Yeah, my original model PS4 (bough it around 2015 July) did that on the first day I used it.

It's also possible that some people have the console far enough from where they sit to play or/and the TV volume is way up, so they don't notice it over the other noises.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Was a huge fan of Persona 4 but can’t get into 5 at all. The subway system running around aimlessly trying to figure out where the hell to go every day kind of crushed my momentum.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Damn, Golden Week sale on PS Store is looking pretty good..

Just scooped up Persona 5 and Tales Of Berseria for $63 CAD. Savings of almost $97..

Good picks.

Persona 5 floored me. 120 hours went buy before I realized that life was still happening. :laugh:

I've never played the Tales games, but my wife really enjoyed Berseria.

Reactions: Habsfan18

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I bought Berseria on launch day and still haven't played it. Kept getting bumped down the priority list by other games... I should play it after God of War. Don't really have any games on my radar for a couple months anyways so I should probably just dent some of this backlog.

Also it's a f***ing Golden Week sale and Yakuza 0 still isn't on sale.

Last edited:

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Good picks.

Persona 5 floored me. 120 hours went buy before I realized that life was still happening. :laugh:

I've never played the Tales games, but my wife really enjoyed Berseria.

Yeah, I heard Persona is easily a 100+ hour experience, which easily makes it worth the money..especially at $35. Far too many AAA titles are 12-20 hour experiences now it seems. The P5 scores are almost unanimously great. Wanted to buy it awhile back but was waiting for it to go on sale. That and my backlog is ridiculous. :laugh:

As for Berseria, I’m a fan of the Tales series but Zestiria was a bit of a letdown. Was a decent game but something just felt off. Berseria sounds like it was a nice return to form.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I'll take the 12-20 hour AAA games ANY DAY over 100+ hr games. Who the heck has time for those games? I'll be bored sick of it after 2 weeks away.

Played about 8-10 hours of Persona till i got bored knowing I was only like 15-20% done.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I guess price point is what bothers me. A 15 hour game for $90 CAD (after taxes) is ridiculous. Now if you wait for sales is not so bad, I suppose. But since games are so highly priced now, you want bang for your buck. And the longer the experience, the more it’s worth the cost IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->