Something to ask about undrafted CHL players

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by habsprospects, Sep 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. habsprospects

habsprospects Registered User

computer technician
    Home Page:
    First, I will remember you 3 players case:
    Olivier Michaud - Sept. 18, 2001 - Signed as a free agent by the Montreal Canadiens - 18 years old

Josh Gorges - Sept. 20, 2002 - Signed as a free agent by San Jose Sharks - 18 years old

Olivier Latendresse - Sept. 15, 2004 - Signed as a free agent by the Phoenix Coyotes - 18 years old

all of them signed after there first draft eligibility(btw, if someone has other case, you'r welcome)

Why does these teams has been able to sign them? has they have it, why isn't more 18 years old player signed after the draft?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. :confused: ???????

im sorry, i have no idea what you are saying....maybe someone could translate it...

3. habsprospects

habsprospects Registered User

computer technician
    Home Page:
    these three players could I've been eligibility the be drafted the next two draft,

I asked why team can sign 18 years old undrafted player when they could I've been taken in the next two year draft,

and the other question, has they have the right to sign undrafted player, why isn't more player that get signed by NHL team after they got undrafted

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Chootoi

Chootoi Registered User

Home Page:
    players go undrafted for a reason, no team is interested. sometimes a team may run out of picks before they get to a guy they'd like to have (rare), sometimes they see a guy after the draft and realize they should have taken him, then they sign him. why wouldn't a team sign a guy before the next draft and risk another team drafting him.

side question, can a player who doesn't opt in for particluar draft year, be signed as an FA or does that make him ineligible in some way? example, player didn't enter the draft his first year, could he have been signed by anyone or does he have to wait until he enters a draft and gets passed over before he can sign as an FA?

5. montreal

montreal Go Habs Go

Why were they signed? Because they showed something at camp that got them noticed. I would think we will see more 18 year olds signed after going undrafted with the new draft being only 7 rounds. I was hoping the Habs would go for Mathieu Roy, but they gave Bisaillon a look and I would assume they didnt and won't be signing him.

It's a way to add more depth without using a draft pick, or waiting to see if they get drafted the next draft since they might get picked by someone else.

6. Seachd

Seachd Registered User

Home Page:
    I think he means that since the CBA says undrafted players can't be signed until 20/21 or whatever, how can they sometimes be signed at 18?

I've heard that the tams that invite these players to camp have exclusive rights to sign them within a certain time period. If they aren't signed by that time (10 days, I think), they go back into the draft.

7. Brock

Brock Registered User

Home Page:
    I'm pretty sure that's it. I've heard that before as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.