Somebody please get somebody to put the lottery on TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

shayne

Feb 27, 2003
ontario
Visit site
fine they won't show the balls bouncing live, put the results in envelopes and show us 20 minutes later and count them down from thirty, that is TV DRAMA for hockeys around the country.

I can't flipping beleive they(hockey gods) would miss an opportunity like this, a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Someone please listen to the fans and put in on TV not just in a press release" and in our top story...________ will receive the first pick in the lottery, boring!!

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
there's not much of a market for that...maybe in canada but in the US? sure some of the hardcore fans would like to see it but i don't think it's enough to warrant TV time

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
shayne said:
fine they won't show the balls bouncing live, put the results in envelopes and show us 20 minutes later and count them down from thirty, that is TV DRAMA for hockeys around the country.

Counting down from thirty makes it too obvious who is out of the running. Count up from number 1. They should put the lottery on TSN though.

DarthKoRn

Jul 15, 2005
Pembroke
I figured they were gonna announce it at the press conference. Kinda like: "And the first draft pick will go to..... Ottawa!"

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that this is the plan. I may not be like the NBA Lottery, but during the NHL press conference on Thursday Bettman will run down the list. I'm sure TSN will have it and ESPN News is very good at having news conferences live. A major one like this is certain to be on.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
the boys on leaf lunch were livid today when mentioning that this lotto wont be televised .

let tsn , or sportsnet pay some moolah to air it - let it be a 1 hour special - 30 mins lotto , 30 mins of yapping between analysts -bravo , an easy little chunk of change for the nhl and nhlpa to split 54/46

I'm pretty sure one of Canadian sport nets would drop everything to air it

if nobody wants to air it in the US , well , thats not my problem

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
This doesn't really need to be on TV as there won't be much to see. I'd be fine listening to it via internet radio. They could probably set that up on NHL.com

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
cagney said:
This doesn't really need to be on TV as there won't be much to see. I'd be fine listening to it via internet radio. They could probably set that up on NHL.com

it would actually get tremendous ratings in Canada if they mesh it with a news conference announcing the game is officially back .

all about sharing the $$ ....nhlpa should be all over the nhl right now saying ''get this puppy televised'' in Canada and make a few bucks + re-generate interest blah blah blah

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Isles72 said:
the boys on leaf lunch were livid today when mentioning that this lotto wont be televised .

let tsn , or sportsnet pay some moolah to air it - let it be a 1 hour special - 30 mins lotto , 30 mins of yapping between analysts -bravo , an easy little chunk of change for the nhl and nhlpa to split 54/46

I'm pretty sure one of Canadian sport nets would drop everything to air it

if nobody wants to air it in the US , well , thats not my problem

For what it's worth, ESPN recently polled online guests to find out their favorite sports, last time I checked-

1. NFL
2. MLB
3. College Football
4. NHL
5. College Basketball
6. NBA

DarthSather99

Mar 2, 2002
NYC
Visit site
shayne said:

I can't flipping beleive they(hockey gods) would miss an opportunity like this, a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Someone please listen to the fans and put in on TV not just in a press release" and in our top story...________ will receive the first pick in the lottery, boring!!

The results would leak out by that time. At least the result of #1

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
When are they having the lottery?

I CANNOT believe that they're not televising this! After all the negative connotations that have come about because of the lay-off, for us die-hard hockey fans, the lottery is just something to spike our interest! I'd love to watch it & sure many others would follow suit! How many idiots does it take to screw up a sport?!? or at the very least be able to cash in on an opportunity to sell the TV rights to SPORTNET or TSN who I'm sure would jump all over it! This is a crucial draft obviously with Kid Crosby! Maybe they just want to hand him to the Rangers...

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
they are televising the revealing of the lottery probably only hours after it happens behind closed doors

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
It wont be on TV in Canada because too many people would riot when a Canadian team doesnt get a top 5 pick. It wont be on TV in the US because not enough people care. Let's not forget about the rigging involved ;)

littleD

Any press conferences or news that the NHL puts out on Thursday of next week will surely be on TSN, live or as close as they can get to live.

Pierre McGuire said TSN is going to start broadcasting from New York as early as Tuesday of this coming week. So if there's anything news worthy, stick to TSN to hear it.

For the USA'ns, try and find someone to stream TSN for you. :D

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
It won't be broadcast live because that way you couldn't give Crosby to the Rangers(i hope the NHL makes it a lil less obvious and gives Crosby to a big market US team like LA or Chicago(although chicago will probably screw this up so best to keep him away from Wirtz))

Last edited:

littleD

boredmale said:
It won't be broadcast live because that way you couldn't give Crosby to the Rangers(i hope the NHL makes it a lil less obvious and gives Crosby to a nig market US team like LA or Chicago(although chicago will probably screw this up so best to keep him away from Wirtz))

I don't understand what you said? The Rangers couldn't win the "lottery" if it's broadcast live? Ok...

T2M

Jan 28, 2004
littleD said:
I don't understand what you said? The Rangers couldn't win the "lottery" if it's broadcast live? Ok...

No, what he's pointing at is that some people think this is a joke and there's a conspiracy to give Crosby to the Rangers. Having the lottery televised creates some transparency.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
T2M said:
No, what he's pointing at is that some people think this is a joke and there's a conspiracy to give Crosby to the Rangers. Having the lottery televised creates some transparency.

you could even rig that if done right. It would be funny if the Rangers win it legitimently, the question will always be asked was it rigged(in therory they have a 1/16 chance of picking first which is somewhat decent odds).

DarthSather99

Mar 2, 2002
NYC
Visit site
T2M said:

and you don't think there will be officials from other teams watching for the legitimacy of it. C'mon I'd say most of the GM's will be there. There's no way they'd let a Gretzky type be given to another team. So let me get this straight, if the Rangers win, it is rigged. If any other team in the NHL wins the lottery it is legitimate. :biglaugh: Hmmmm ....seems like a can't win situation for the Rangers, their damned if they do and damed if they don't.

and for your information the EWING lottery in the NBA that everyone thinks was rigged was done on National TV in front of everyone to see. The conspiracy theorist have no end to their madness. :shakehead

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
boredmale said:
you could even rig that if done right.
from the thread on the business board:

helicecopter said:
Take out each ball, from 1st through 48th, in front of my eyes: when is see there are the planned number of balls in for each team and that the 3 NYR balls don’t come out all within the first 4 or 5 I am probably going to believe you.
Besides, I think that if you really want you can organize in front of cameras a not ‘fixable’ draw.

... they could make the lottery in a way that’s very difficult to think it’s fixed.
Just think about throwing 48 balls with the same colour in a big basket that can mechanically mix them. Then give someone a long shoveler, he mixes again with it and then picks up a ball. They are going to fix it? Good luck!

NYIschremp44

Oct 25, 2003
NYC
do people even think? the draft order can not be picked starting at 30 and going to 1 because that would totally defeat the purpose of the weighted lottery system, it would in fact give the team with 3 balls a better shot at the number 30 pick, if they were going to do it backwards, then having MORE balls would be a disadvantage.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
JNRhockeyGURU said:
do people even think? the draft order can not be picked starting at 30 and going to 1 because that would totally defeat the purpose of the weighted lottery system, it would in fact give the team with 3 balls a better shot at the number 30 pick, if they were going to do it backwards, then having MORE balls would be a disadvantage.
Who ever said otherwise??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->