Not open for further replies.

Crusher20

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=102985

for the good and the bad, a quick resume
- kost as loads flashy spectacular skills
- kost seem to be a little bit of a individual player
- kost does seem to have good size and speed <corrected, i put wasnt by mistake>
- kost need improvements in team work. see info no 2. :)

thats pretty much what it as look like too from previous reports from rookie camp and russia. scouts see is offensive potential and fans too but he seem to need some time before he could become a good nhler if he can work team work and willingness to play defense.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Kostitsyn does have good size and speed. He's 6'1 208, not big but not small either. But he does have good speed and acceleration. Has an extra gear, although he's no speed demon either.

Rand

Oct 17, 2002
askme
From what I've seen of Kostistyn I'm inclined to agree with Montreal that he had quite good speed, and excellent acceleration.
Questionable team work and work ethic I can certainly understand though.

Purely a bust or boom prospect IMHO.

velimiiro

From what i saw last night of him, i'm very impressed.

> Will definately score some highlight reel goals, amazing skillset, puck control+shot is just awesome.

> He isn't small IMO, he seems to be filled out and is strong.

> He didnt pass much at all, we'll see what happens with that, no big deal IMO, its just 1 game, and the first game.

> His wrist shot is like a slap shot... it's very weird...... his shot is so deceptive, he will go to shoot and it wont look like hes getting much on it, but he will fire a rocket.

> He wasn't very speedy, still slightly above average, but he skates really well, and he seems very light on his feet (agile).

On another note, Kyle Chipchura was the BEST player on the ice, what a player this guy is...

Sammy*

DuklaNation said:
He sounds a lot like Marian Hossa when he was at the same stage.
Funny, cause to me, he kinda sounds like Ron Flockhart.

Last edited by a moderator:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
DuklaNation said:
He sounds a lot like Marian Hossa when he was at the same stage.

Saw him last night, and when kostitsyn has the puck on his stick, he makes me think of Marian Hossa as well, not saying he will be the same type of player or as good, but if were talking comparisons, this is the closest IMO.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Laps sounds like he had a good game there.

He's going to be a solid 3rd line role player. He's such a nasty guy to go up against and I love his game.

Crusher20

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
==================================================
http://www.canadiens.com/eng/news/redirect.cfm?sectionID=habsNewsDetails.cfm&newsItemID=3956
------------------------------------------------------------------

kost 2 goals against toronto tonight.

leading scorers, notice chipchura having 5 pts.. pretty good.

------------------------------------------------------------------
http://sk-hockey.com/sk/stat/stat_extra.php?idOrg=19&idSeason=4&idYear=7&idLevel=163&type=6

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Where are all the posters who said Kostitsyn was a bust and he could never do anything in NA???

Just playin'...he has looked impressive in the 3 games he's played, he looked good in the 1 game I saw of him...

The thing I like about him the best is when he gets control of the puck he turns into a different type of player, he's not terribly fast, but when he's got the puck it seems as though d-men can't skate backwards fast enough to keep up...and his arsenal of shots are ridiculous...I know this is against weak some caliber players, but talent is talent, and this guy has some for days...

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
velimiiro said:
From what i saw last night of him, i'm very impressed.

> Will definately score some highlight reel goals, amazing skillset, puck control+shot is just awesome.

> He isn't small IMO, he seems to be filled out and is strong.

> He didnt pass much at all, we'll see what happens with that, no big deal IMO, its just 1 game, and the first game.

> His wrist shot is like a slap shot... it's very weird...... his shot is so deceptive, he will go to shoot and it wont look like hes getting much on it, but he will fire a rocket.

> He wasn't very speedy, still slightly above average, but he skates really well, and he seems very light on his feet (agile).

On another note, Kyle Chipchura was the BEST player on the ice, what a player this guy is...
That sounds like Alex Kovalev. Is he anything like Kovy?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Where are all the posters who said Kostitsyn was a bust and he could never do anything in NA???
Yeah, two goals in a rookie tournament is really quieting all the doubters. ;)

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
1582Straka1897 said:
That sounds like Alex Kovalev. Is he anything like Kovy?

No I wouldn't say Kovalev, maybe in terms of his shooting ability, but as for his whole game, I would compare him with Marian Hossa...they have the same determination to score when they have the puck as well as similar builds

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Jacobv2 said:

instead of trying to be a smart ass, you should of read the rest of my post when I wrote that I was just playing around... :shakehead

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The winking emoticon should have indicated that I, too, was playing around. Try to keep up.

db23

Jacobv2 said:

Kostitsyn was MIA in the final game. Finished with 3 points in 4 games, the same as goon Jimmy Bonneau who had 16 points in the Q last season.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Sorry to steal this thread but I feel Meszaros and Steber with 5 points in 4 games had monster first rookie tournies. Good work Ottawa and Toronto. Especially Toronto :)

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Jacobv2 said:
The winking emoticon should have indicated that I, too, was playing around. Try to keep up.

My bad, I didn't notice that...

olive branch extended...

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
db23 said:
Kostitsyn was MIA in the final game. Finished with 3 points in 4 games, the same as goon Jimmy Bonneau who had 16 points in the Q last season.

All the players in the final game were MIA, it was the 4th game in 4 nights, and everybody was impressed by Kostitsyn, myself who saw him included and Trevor Timmins, the head scout for the Habs was impressed by him as well...I was at the tournament on Sunday, I was sitting behind a Florida scout and he had a few nice things to say about Kostitsyn himself...it's funny how you didn't say anything in the previous game when he scored 2 goals, as soon as he dosen't score in one game, that when you show up with this :shakehead

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Don't forget one thing about Kostitsyn. It was his second tournement in North America. He have to learn English, adapt to the NA style and adapt to the NA rink. I say that because last year, after the rookie tournement, I wasn't happy with the tournement of Alexender Perezhogin. He was in the same situation...And after that, he started in the AHL and he was really impressive in the second half. I expect the same thing with Kostitsyn. He have the skillset to be a star in the league.

And for those who say he didn't pass much, I think it was because he tried to do to much in the tournement because I have readed everywhere that he's not a selfish player. And I think he have a pretty good work ethics. He show that with what he said before the camp...

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Freaky Habs Fan said:
Don't forget one thing about Kostitsyn. It was his second tournement in North America. He have to learn English, adapt to the NA style and adapt to the NA rink. I say that because last year, after the rookie tournement, I wasn't happy with the tournement of Alexender Perezhogin. He was in the same situation...And after that, he started in the AHL and he was really impressive in the second half. I expect the same thing with Kostitsyn. He have the skillset to be a star in the league.

And for those who say he didn't pass much, I think it was because he tried to do to much in the tournement because I have readed everywhere that he's not a selfish player. And I think he have a pretty good work ethics. He show that with what he said before the camp...

Good point, I saw Perezhogin at last years tournament, even though he didn't do much offensively, I saw the offensive potential when he was playing, he struggled at the rookie tournament, he also struggled at the main camp, but he was one of the AHL's best players in the second half, so if you look at Kostitsyn, he had a very good rookie tournament, so there's no reason to believe he won't succeed in the AHL this season and eventually in the NHL, it's too bad there's not going to be any hockey, as I think he would of definately been able to play a few games with the main club this year...

As for Kostitsyn passing, I wouldn't say he didin't pass, but he likes going on rushes, but I saw him make several beautiful passes that his teamates could not convert, that's another thing that impressed me about him, all I heard about him was how good his shot was, but his passing was equally impressive to me...

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
417 TO MTL said:
As for Kostitsyn passing, I wouldn't say he didin't pass, but he likes going on rushes, but I saw him make several beautiful passes that his teamates could not convert, that's another thing that impressed me about him, all I heard about him was how good his shot was, but his passing was equally impressive to me...

Kind of Komisarek when he make a pass? Even the players of the Habs have some difficulties to control his passes. Always tape to tape but a little to heavy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad