Movies: Some hidden gems.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I couldn't find any threads specifically for underrated movies / hidden gems so here we go:

(Note: I understand these films have received generally favorable reviews among critics, I've found them to be generally unknown films, even among friends I'd consider movie buffs)

It's Such a Beautiful Day - An experimental black comedy-drama created and narrated entirely by acclaimed director Don Hertzfeldt. The intriguing thing about this movie is that no computers were used in its production. It is captured entirely on 35mm film with in-camera effects.

The film dives into the Psyche of the main character Bill, who struggles with daily activities due to an unidentified illness.

The movie is emotionally gripping. It's one of those movies that definitely makes you feel emotions that you may not even be able to identify. A very philosophical piece that will get you thinking. One of the more unique films that I've seen in my life and certainly worth the watch.

Primer - An independent science fiction film which was written, directed, produced, edited, and scored entirely by Shane Carruth, who also plays one of the lead characters, Aaron. The movie centers on two engineers who accidentally discover time-travel. Through the course of experiments aimed at reducing the weight of an object, the pair find that they can create a time-loop and travel on the created timeline.

While many movies have tackled the idea of time-travel, Primer does it in a unique and refreshing way. It's tough to understand the way that the timelines interact with one another on the first watch, but with a little reading into it and a second watch many of the time traveling episodes fall into place.

The awesome thing about this movie is that it was created with an incredibly low budget while still maintaining a high-production feel. The movie was created entirely with a budget of $7,000 and a crew of 5 people and they used every resource to perfection.

We Need To Talk About Kevin - A psychological thriller centering on the Khatchadorian family and their struggles raising their son Kevin. Tilda Swinton absolutely nails it as the mother, Eva, who has to endure the pains of a strained relationship with her son and the difficulties of raising him and his younger sister. John C. Reilly (Dale from Step Brothers) takes on a serious role as Kevin's loving and supportive father. I think that this is easily Tilda Swinton's absolute best performance, winning many awards and being nominated for a handful others.

Another movie that warrants a second watch, as the first is not quite enough to really be able to soak in everything that the movie conveys. Not something you're going to see on afternoon cable TV. It's currently on Netflix. It certainly has many "holy shit" moments where you're in awe of some scenes and interactions.

I'll post more as I come across them and feel free to post your own as well. Please try to provide a bit of a synopsis of the movie or some of your own review of the film rather than just listing titles.

I'd like to keep this discussion along the lines of discussing lesser known/under the radar movies and keep away from just listing our favorite movies or popular movies that other people don't like.

Ralph Spoilsport

Jun 4, 2011
I'll add Barbara Loden's Wanda (1970). Loden was a former fashion model whose claim to fame was marrying Broadway/Hollywood director Elia Kazan. Had small roles but never made a name for herself as an actress. Then out of the blue she writes, directs and stars in this movie about a dumb blonde who gets mixed up with a heartless bank robber. A revisionist screwball comedy. She never made another movie.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Killing Them Softly (2012)

A damn good take on run of the mill, low level criminals. focuses on 2 main criminals, a job that happens, and a "cleaner" called in as a result. (trying to not give plot points away).

It's a character heavy movie but has great dialog throughout, great performances from all the actors and is just a well done crime movie without all the over the top heists and action tacked onto it

Is extremely faithfully based on George V Higgins' novel "Cogan's Trade". In fact, it is one of the strictest adaptations I've seen, down to the dialog being exact. Which makes sense because Higgins' biggest strength was being a dialog driven writer.

The only departure from the novel is the final scene, which contains a great speech that is one of the better summations of America I've heard in a movie.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Killing Them Softly (2012)

A damn good take on run of the mill, low level criminals. focuses on 2 main criminals, a job that happens, and a "cleaner" called in as a result. (trying to not give plot points away).

It's a character heavy movie but has great dialog throughout, great performances from all the actors and is just a well done crime movie without all the over the top heists and action tacked onto it

Is extremely faithfully based on George V Higgins' novel "Cogan's Trade". In fact, it is one of the strictest adaptations I've seen, down to the dialog being exact. Which makes sense because Higgins' biggest strength was being a dialog driven writer.

The only departure from the novel is the final scene, which contains a great speech that is one of the better summations of America I've heard in a movie.
Oooo man, great post! I absolutely love this movie!!

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
I'll add Barbara Loden's Wanda (1970). Loden was a former fashion model whose claim to fame was marrying Broadway/Hollywood director Elia Kazan. Had small roles but never made a name for herself as an actress. Then out of the blue she writes, directs and stars in this movie about a dumb blonde who gets mixed up with a heartless bank robber. A revisionist screwball comedy. She never made another movie.
I'll have to check this one out! Thanks for the post.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
The Driver (1978) is one of my all-time favorite films. It's essentially a remake of another great film, Le Samourai, and was one of the inspirations for Baby Driver. It's a lean, mean action/thriller/heist film that has some of the best car chases you'll ever see. It also has Bruce Dern giving one of his typically great, nutty performances, and actually manages to put Ryan O' Neal to good use.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
not sure if it counts in the spirit of the thread, but "Friends of Eddie Coyle" and "Mean Streets" are 2 more in the same style. Friends being another George V Higgins novel
Well I've never heard of those movies, and upon a little research they seem to be relatively "hidden" films, so that fits!

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Well I've never heard of those movies, and upon a little research they seem to be relatively "hidden" films, so that fits!

added benefit...Friends of Eddie Coyle features some in game footage of a prime Bobby Orr.

if you loved Killing Them Softly, you'll love both of these movies

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Paths Of Glory

I think this might be Kubrick's first film. It stars Kirk Douglas as a lawyer defending 3 soldiers being tried for treason

Ralph Spoilsport

Jun 4, 2011
Primer's a good one. I'm not sure if the science behind it is plausible at all, but it sure sounds convincing and that's half the battle!

It's Such a Beautiful Day sounds really interesting. I'm taking it to the Movie of the Week thread. Thanks for the tip!

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Primer's a good one. I'm not sure if the science behind it is plausible at all, but it sure sounds convincing and that's half the battle!

It's Such a Beautiful Day sounds really interesting. I'm taking it to the Movie of the Week thread. Thanks for the tip!

Yeah, and while I understand and have respect for what Carruth was doing in regards to the scientific jargon employed in the film, it became a bit hard to follow for me at times. I still enjoyed the film though.

As for some suggestions (I don't know if these can be considered hidden gems but...)

Buffalo'66 by Vincent Gallo
Bad Lieutenant by Abel Ferrara
The Funeral by Abel Ferrara
I Stand Alone by Gaspar Noe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->