Some guy on TSN just said that if Malkin was Canadian....

• Thread starter joe_shannon_1983*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Jaded-Fan said:
I am a Pens' fan for Christ's sake. When I go to games I happen to wear a Malkin Jersey, not a Crosby one. I am hardly biased against him. But you have to be rational and reasonable, something that I seldom find on this board where people either diefy a prospect or tear him down for the silliest things - often times both, within a week of one another as the flavor of the week changes. By far my largest criticism of HF.

Malkin is an enormous talent, I doubt that anyone is saying otherwise. But he is where Crosby and Ovechkin were last year - a prospect, a projection. Why is it a surprise that Malkin will have to prove that he is in the same class once he reaches the NHL level just like they did? Or that their accomplishments this year in the NHL, where they have progressed further than anyone really imagined, would not vault them to a level Malkin will have to prove he belongs at? My God, each are as likely as not going to be close to if not over 50 goal scorers and 100 point men at the NHL level. One at 18, one at 20. Let that sink in a minute. It is no slight on him at all, merely being reasonable about a talent people are rightly excited about.

Jaded I totally agree with you . Im coming from the angle of he just might be better than both of them but yet some people seem to think that there is no way possible. Does he need to prove in in the NHL? yes. I just shake my head at all the people who say noone can come close to crosby no matter what. hes is a generational player but so is ovechkin. Malkin also has that potential. Alot of people just need to realize that there may be 1 or 2 more players out there with potential to be better.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
kingpest19 said:
Jaded I totally agree with you . Im coming from the angle of he just might be better than both of them but yet some people seem to think that there is no way possible. Does he need to prove in in the NHL? yes. I just shake my head at all the people who say noone can come close to crosby no matter what. hes is a generational player but so is ovechkin. Malkin also has that potential. Alot of people just need to realize that there may be 1 or 2 more players out there with potential to be better.

That statement most could agree with. Me included. That was not what was said by many in this thread though.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Slitty said:
I hear what you're saying mate:

Yet by your logic Firsov, Mikhailov, Kharlamov, Bobrov, Tretiak, ect where mere prospects and busts at that because they never proved themseleves in the NHL.

Larionov, Fetisov, Krutov, Markarov and company were mere prospects before proving themselves at the NHL level at the end of their glorious careers when they were past their primes?

There is more to hockey than the NHL, if a great player decided to stay in Russia for one reason or another he is still a great player. If the best player in the world (not saying Malkin is such) decided to remain in Sweden for example, he would still be the best player in the World.

they proved it by playing against the nhl.

AgentNaslund*

shawn_kemp said:
Overall my impression is that too many hockey fans are overrating Malkin, Crosby and Ovechkin. Don't forget Heatley, Kovalchuk, Spezza, Staal.

yea but by saying, Malkin and Ovechkin over Crosby it really sounds like the best hockey players in the world will be russian. Its kinda like a "we have more players that are better then your best player" Obviously, Staal Spezza belongs in that pool too, but if you include those names, Those little russians will be badly outnumbered by Canadians. Staal is the next Modanno. We have a 21 year old, fighting for an art ross, and no one is talking about that. If Staal was Russian, it be "HIm ,Ovechkin and Malkin over Crosby." and so for.

just love the Crosby bashing on HF.

VanCanuck

May 9, 2003
Vancouver, BC
it's a boring to read the threads "malkin better than crosby" you can't compare them right now. crosby and ao are leading the nhl in rookie scoring you can compare these guys. (IMO it's even) malkin is playing in russia. he is not dominating the rsl but is a very special player, that's for sure. he has a good scoring touch and perhaps he is the best player not playing in the nhl. the rsl is the best league next to the nhl. dave king said that malkin is the best player in russia because of his age and his level of skill compared to other players of his age group. i saw malkin twice and was impressed with his vision and his leadership. i never saw that in a player that young. the russian league is a professinal league you cannot compare to the ohl or whl. so malkin's performance playing as a boy (age 19) against men is extraordinary. he does the same ao did last in the rsl. although malkin is not as a physical presence in the rsl as ao was in his last year with dynamo.

next year will be interesting to see the big 3 in the nhl. than it's possible to compare them.

of course the canadians prefer crosby ( i do too.) and the russians think that malkin is "underrated". let's see what will happen next year.

CCCR

Dec 20, 2005
Lithuania, and cali
Zine said:
Well, maybe for the NHL fan.
Just because Ovechkin has proven himself in the NHL and Malkin hasn't does not make Ovechkin (or Crosby for that matter) anymore of a player than Malkin.
Just because you're good in the NHL doesn't necessarily mean you're a better player....something made painfully obvious during the lock-out.
Agreed though, from an NHL perspective (which is what most people here value), Malkin has yet to pass the NHL test.

I honestly don't think anybody believes Malkin is leaps and bounds ahead of Ovechkin & Crosby - but what is becoming evident is that he's at least their equal, perhaps slightly better (which may be hard to believe).
But, NHL success aside, you can compare Ovechkin to Malkin....and I'd give Malkin the slight edge. Better RSL numbers; looked better in the WJC; despite the stats, was better than Ovechkin at the world championships (while playing on the same line). And as we all know Ovechkin = Crosby. So it does give some sort of indication of Malkin/Crosby.
But from the NHL perspective none of this matters till Malkin steps on NHL ice.
I agree with everything you said exept ovechik=crosby. at this time ovechkin is better then crosby.

CCCR

Dec 20, 2005
Lithuania, and cali
AgentNaslund said:
yea but by saying, Malkin and Ovechkin over Crosby it really sounds like the best hockey players in the world will be russian. Its kinda like a "we have more players that are better then your best player" Obviously, Staal Spezza belongs in that pool too, but if you include those names, Those little russians will be badly outnumbered by Canadians. Staal is the next Modanno. We have a 21 year old, fighting for an art ross, and no one is talking about that. If Staal was Russian, it be "HIm ,Ovechkin and Malkin over Crosby." and so for.

just love the Crosby bashing on HF.

:confused: what the F**** are you talking about.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
CCCR said:
I agree with everything you said exept ovechik=crosby. at this time ovechkin is better then crosby.

Based on what? IMO, they are neck to neck! They both can score goals and rack up points and you can prefer the one you want but there is no way that you can clearly say who is the best. Some may say that Ovechkin is more physical, while some other will point out the fact that Crosby passes the puck better but still, they are very different player and right now, we can't say who is the best.

As far as I'm concerned I think that down the road Crosby will be the best of the three and by far, but hey, I could be wrong. I think that he has all the intangibles to become one of the greatest leader in the league history and we all know that he has the tools to rack up a lot of points now and in the future.

KariyaIsGod*

CCCR said:

In your opinion...

CCCR

Dec 20, 2005
Lithuania, and cali
DanyHeatley#1Fan said:
Based on what? IMO, they are neck to neck! They both can score goals and rack up points and you can prefer the one you want but there is no way that you can clearly say who is the best. Some may say that Ovechkin is more physical, while some other will point out the fact that Crosby passes the puck better but still, they are very different player and right now, we can't say who is the best.

As far as I'm concerned I think that down the road Crosby will be the best of the three and by far, but hey, I could be wrong. I think that he has all the intangibles to become one of the greatest leader in the league history and we all know that he has the tools to rack up a lot of points now and in the future.

well i look at it as this.. they are neck to neck BUT, AO does not have any one to play with, he does not have (supersters like) palffy, recchi, leclair, lemieux, gonchar, on his team.
it is harder for AO to play on his team, then crosby. think about if AO would have players like crosby has on his team. AO would have some one that can keep up with him, he would have some one to pass the puck and they could score, some one who could set him up.

we will see it might happend it might not. it is too hard to say what will happen in 2-3 years down the road.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
The Old Master said:
they proved it by playing against the nhl.

Firsov + Bobrov played against the NHL?! Wow, you learn something new everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad