Some guy on TSN just said that if Malkin was Canadian....

• Thread starter joe_shannon_1983*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

SwOOsh*

RUSqueelin said:
First - it was a Russian reporter making the comment.

Second - I hope Ovechkin would be ripping up the tourney this year. He's overage.

Ovechkin, Malkin, and Crosby and the best three young players on the planet and would be neck and neck and neck for the calder had Malkin joined the NHL.

The only difference is Crosby is 18, Malkin is 19, and Ovechkin is 21.

Ovechkin just turned 20 in September.

Macman

May 15, 2004
dem said:
I'd really love to know what game Siberian was watching.

The one inside his head.

Canada dominated and took advantage of a weak Russian defence and poor discipline. End of story.

Oilerfan120582

Jul 9, 2005
Ah good old HF boards. Crosby puts up over a point per game in the NHL as an 18 year old and yet people claim that he has nowhere near the ability of a guy who is older and has yet to play a game in the big league. Of course, with solid arguments like "Malkin>Crosby", how can anyone possibly deny their assertions?

Malkin, Ovechkin, and Crosby are all amazing prospects and I look forward to watching them play for years to come. Time will tell who is the best of the three.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
All I know for sure is things are looking up in the NHL. I can't remember so many young players at once with so much promise! Malkin and Crosby together on the same team hardly seems fair - then add the chance for Pittsburgh to snag Erik Johnson in this years draft... yikes!

Hope the Pens move to Winnipeg :)

(BTW not trying to start a Pens to Wpg debate here thx.)

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
What a laughable quote that is. Who was it by the way?

An 18 year old on pace for a 95 point NHL season at age 18 isn't close in terms of abilities to a 19 year old. I don't care what the hell Malkin is doing (although he didn't look that incredible at the Juniors to me), noone who is performing like Crosby is should take a back seat to anyone.

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
Exactly. How do you clearly top an 18 year old on pace for almost 100 points? Malkin has better put up about 120 points in his rookie season, because that's about how many points Sid is going to put up when he's 20.

Malkin is going to be awesome, maybe on Sid and AO's level, but ''clearly above it''? He'd better be Mario Lemieux v2 to live up to that. Tonight's game didn't exactly help to clarify his superiority, either.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
RUSqueelin said:
First - it was a Russian reporter making the comment.

Second - I hope Ovechkin would be ripping up the tourney this year. He's overage.

Ovechkin, Malkin, and Crosby and the best three young players on the planet and would be neck and neck and neck for the calder had Malkin joined the NHL.

The only difference is Crosby is 18, Malkin is 19, and Ovechkin is 21.

Ovechkin's about 3 months past 20,since we're splitting hairs.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
ferns8916 said:
And isn't that a little bit too much as well?

I mean, Malkin is good, but he isn't as good as Ovechkin. I think Ovechkin would be tearing this tournament apart much more than Malkin is, considering Ovechkin in 2005 played better than Malkin is in 2006 (at least in my opinion).

Malkin dominated this tournament more than Ovechkin did last year, both flubbed in the games against Canada and only showed little bits of their true talent.

Malkin dominates the RSL this year and did better BOTH this year and last than Ovechkin did last year.

Sorry to say, Malkin is better than Ovechkin despite not being in the NHL. Yes some of you will say he is unproven do to not being in the NHL... and I say that is just silly because anyone that dominates the RSL is at least a star in the NHL. Hockey is hockey... where Kharlamov, Frisov, Bobrov, ect bad because they didnt play in the NHL. True most of you dont consider them among the greatest hockey player, but a true unbaised hockey fan can see how good a player is without silly arguements of being unproven in a particular league. If Gretzky played in the RSL, he would still be arguably (the most popular choice for the title) the best player ever, you just wouldn't put him on your top10 because he is "unproven".

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
LOL @ NO

That is funny, you bet your butt that is overrating him, Crosby is putting up just as high of a points per game in the NHL as Malkin is iin Russia, not to mention that Malkin is ayear older

The NHL is the superior league, but it is much harder to score a point in the RSL than the NHL. Compare anyone's stats in the RSL to the NHL whether it be Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Lecavalier, ect.... the RSL is a low scoring defensive league, and Malkin happens to have been leading it in scoring before leving for the World Juniors.

KariyaIsGod*

ferns8916 said:
Some guy just said on TSN that if Malkin was Canadian, then you could forget about Crosby, because Crosby wouldn't be close in terms of ability and hype.

Isn't this over-rating Malkin a little bit? Just a little?

Yes.

It is overrating Malkin...

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
Siberian said:
Malkin was wrestled down, clutched and grabbed every time. That is why they put pressure on IIHF in terms of officiating, they wanted this grabbing game, there is no other way for them to win the game.
:nopity:

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Jaded-Fan said:
I am a Pens' fan for Christ's sake. When I go to games I happen to wear a Malkin Jersey, not a Crosby one. I am hardly biased against him. But you have to be rational and reasonable, something that I seldom find on this board where people either diefy a prospect or tear him down for the silliest things - often times both, within a week of one another as the flavor of the week changes. By far my largest criticism of HF.

Malkin is an enormous talent, I doubt that anyone is saying otherwise. But he is where Crosby and Ovechkin were last year - a prospect, a projection. Why is it a surprise that Malkin will have to prove that he is in the same class once he reaches the NHL level just like they did? Or that their accomplishments this year in the NHL, where they have progressed further than anyone really imagined, would not vault them to a level Malkin will have to prove he belongs at? My God, each are as likely as not going to be close to if not over 50 goal scorers and 100 point men at the NHL level. One at 18, one at 20. Let that sink in a minute. It is no slight on him at all, merely being reasonable about a talent people are rightly excited about.

I hear what you're saying mate:

Yet by your logic Firsov, Mikhailov, Kharlamov, Bobrov, Tretiak, ect where mere prospects and busts at that because they never proved themseleves in the NHL.

Larionov, Fetisov, Krutov, Markarov and company were mere prospects before proving themselves at the NHL level at the end of their glorious careers when they were past their primes?

There is more to hockey than the NHL, if a great player decided to stay in Russia for one reason or another he is still a great player. If the best player in the world (not saying Malkin is such) decided to remain in Sweden for example, he would still be the best player in the World.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
HabLover said:
Will Malkin even get any ice-time at the Olympics?

Considering player quality and Russia's depth at left wing comparted to that at center, I would expect Malkin to log similar to if not greater minutes than Ovechkin.

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
Yet by your logic Firsov, Mikhailov, Kharlamov, Bobrov, Tretiak, ect where mere prospects and busts at that because they never proved themseleves in the NHL.

There might be controversy and a lot of ''what-ifs'' in their cases, but in THIS case, TODAY, in this very different hockey world, we're now less than a year away from being able to see how Malkin does in the NHL. That's why skeptical people want to wait... Crosby won't ever play a game in the RSL, but we can wait about 9 more months and then see them both in the NHL.

If Malkin is clearly better than Ovechkin, then Malkin should be a Hart finalist in his rookie year, because Ovechkin at 20 is in the Hart hunt. And he'd better score about 140 points if he's clearly better than Crosby, because when Crosby is 20 he will be scoring 120-130 a year.

The other two have set the bar insanely high. Almost unreasonably high, but then again, a lot of the Malkin hype seems pretty unreasonable anyway. He may or may not have performed better than Ovechkin in the RSL, but let's face it, the true test will be the NHL, and Ovechkin's passed it with flying colors.

Last edited:

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
revolverjgw said:
He may or may not have performed better than Ovechkin in the RSL, but let's face it, the true test will be the NHL, and Ovechkin's passed it with flying colors.

Well, maybe for the NHL fan.
Just because Ovechkin has proven himself in the NHL and Malkin hasn't does not make Ovechkin (or Crosby for that matter) anymore of a player than Malkin.
Just because you're good in the NHL doesn't necessarily mean you're a better player....something made painfully obvious during the lock-out.
Agreed though, from an NHL perspective (which is what most people here value), Malkin has yet to pass the NHL test.

I honestly don't think anybody believes Malkin is leaps and bounds ahead of Ovechkin & Crosby - but what is becoming evident is that he's at least their equal, perhaps slightly better (which may be hard to believe).
But, NHL success aside, you can compare Ovechkin to Malkin....and I'd give Malkin the slight edge. Better RSL numbers; looked better in the WJC; despite the stats, was better than Ovechkin at the world championships (while playing on the same line). And as we all know Ovechkin = Crosby. So it does give some sort of indication of Malkin/Crosby.
But from the NHL perspective none of this matters till Malkin steps on NHL ice.

Last edited:

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
revolverjgw said:
Malkin is going to be awesome, maybe on Sid and AO's level, but ''clearly above it''? He'd better be Mario Lemieux v2 to live up to that. Tonight's game didn't exactly help to clarify his superiority, either.

EXACTLY

Ovechkin, Crosby, and Malkin are all on that top level. that 100+ points a season level. the best available.

anything clearly above that is ungodly numbers like lemieux/gretzky. 150+pts a season. 200pts a season, etc.

right now they are all at the top, at the kovalchuk/jagr/forsberg/thornton level, but any of "the big 3" have yet to show they can top that and take it to another level

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Metallian said:
EXACTLY

Ovechkin, Crosby, and Malkin are all on that top level. that 100+ points a season level. the best available.

anything clearly above that is ungodly numbers like lemieux/gretzky. 150+pts a season. 200pts a season, etc.

right now they are all at the top, at the kovalchuk/jagr/forsberg/thornton level, but any of "the big 3" have yet to show they can top that and take it to another level

Malkin has the POTENTIAL to be all that. None disagree. Again, I wear a Malkin Jersey to the games, not Crosby, so am hardly biased against him and am saying that. As someone said said better than I did, what you all are not getting through to you is how amazing a season BOTH Crosby and AO are having. They are showing what the term 'generational talent' means. Look as an example what other recent number ones are doing, did they rookie years. Now look at what these two are doing, one at 18 no less. The bar is so high that Malkin is going to go over and prove that he belongs in their company, which he very well may do. And better? I certainly hope so, but that would mean as someone said, that he is Gretzky or Mario reborn, and to say that before he plays a moment in the NHL really makes anyone making that statement seem less than credible.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
dem said:
Thats just trash.. do people even watch Crosby anymore.. or do they just *****? The kid is ridiculous.
I'm absolutely convinced that the ones that come out with trash don't watch or they watch with filters on and can't watch a game objectively.

Malkin and Ovechkin fans on here seem to have to trash Crosby to praise their boy.

There is no question Malkin is an amazing talent but from what I've seen it will take some convincing for me to believe he is better than Sid or AO. Right now my guess is that he is close to being as good as them and I do believe that his being 1 year younger than AO does enhance his value when comparing them as prospects.

It's interesting that when Malkin supporters compare him to AO they mention Malkin being a year younger than him but then when they compare him to Crosby they say it shouldn't make a difference.How's that for logic? :dunno:

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
Ill just say that if crosby was in the world juniors this year he wouldve completely dominated the tournament and even moreso next year. And after a few years of pro experience like makin and ovy have IMO he will be a step ahead of them... MAlkin is one of my fav players and Ovechkin has grown on me and they will both be gamebreaking superior talents but i think Crosby will enter that realm of G.O.A.T.

...imo

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
Twi2teD said:
Ill just say that if crosby was in the world juniors this year he wouldve completely dominated the tournament and even moreso next year. And after a few years of pro experience like makin and ovy have IMO he will be a step ahead of them... MAlkin is one of my fav players and Ovechkin has grown on me and they will both be gamebreaking superior talents but i think Crosby will enter that realm of G.O.A.T.

...imo

I agree with that too. IMO if Crosby were to be there next year (as a 19 year old), there is absolutely no way he would have been shut out in the gold medal game.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
oil slick said:
I agree with that too. IMO if Crosby were to be there next year (as a 19 year old), there is absolutely no way he would have been shut out in the gold medal game.

Yeah, just like he's never been shut down or minus in the NHL on any given night. Lets all remember how good the Pens were supposed to be . Obviously, their ineptitude is in no way Crosby fault, however they are a rather incohesive team that plays sloppy defense. Hmmm, sounds a little like Russia was tonight. Brutal defence on the first goal, bad on the second, and it just snowballed.

Oh and 2002 Colorado Avalanche, WCF finals. Lost 7-0 with Sakic and Forsberg playing. Absolute anomaly.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Siberian said:
Malkin was wrestled down, clutched and grabbed every time. That is why they put pressure on IIHF in terms of officiating, they wanted this grabbing game, there is no other way for them to win the game.

you need an avatar of a sore loser. all your trash talking and your boys got not only shut down but shutout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad