Some Great Talents

Status
Not open for further replies.

May 1, 2003
Visit site
Zach Parise - Robbie Schremp - Patrick O'Sullivan
These are some top prospect centres, which do you think will have the best impact on their NHL teams in the future. So far it seems that Schremp will have the best draft day expected to go in the Top 10, but anything could happen. Parise went to the Devils much later than expected and O'Sullivan went 2nd Round despite being touted to go 1st round. So what are ur guys / girls thoughts on these 3 guys

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Sentimental pick: Zach Parise. I just like EVERYTHING about him. I think he will make a tremendous impact in many respects because he is multi-dimensional. He has pretty much everything you want of a hockey player.

That said, I also hope O'Sullivan succeeds. He had some tough obstacles along the way so I am rooting for him too.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I think O'Sullivan will have the flashy career that most will look at but Parise will have a strong impact on the devils with his two way play. NJ has a lot of young centers so ice time may be a problem in NJ. I am not sure the young depth Minny has.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
JasonMacIsaac said:
I think O'Sullivan will have the flashy career that most will look at but Parise will have a strong impact on the devils with his two way play. NJ has a lot of young centers so ice time may be a problem in NJ. I am not sure the young depth Minny has.

Minny will have some depth if Mikko Koivu pans out as I think he will. There's O'Sullivan. Possibly Bouchard if they don't play him wing.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
See, any center that gets to pair with Gaborik for an extended period of time would be my first pick. Like I said before, O'Sullivan will get the stats by Parise will help win the games.

X-SHARKIE

1. Zach Parise....Vlad hit it on the dot, this guy has it all...he should be one of the most prolific scorers in Jersey much like Elias, and his all around game well be somthing as well.
2. Robby Schremp: SICK SICK SICK Hands and skill. If all goes well Schremp should put in the most points of these 3 IMO.
3. Patrick O'Sullivan: He's a underated player, and he's close to Schremp. His defensive game is some of the worst i've seen in a top prospect. He needs to work on his all around game and he needs to be more consistant, he's quite streaky.

May 1, 2003
Visit site
1. Parise - Hes a good two way player that puts up some solid numbers. I think he will be a 65-70pt getter as a 1st line center along side Elias. The most valuable of the 3

2. Robbie Schremp - Very talented offensivley, with some great hands. Will likely put up 70-5pts in the NHL as a 1st Line Centre for the Columbus Blue Jackets!! (4th overall 2004)

3. Patrick O'Sullivan - also a very talented offensive threat, but is quite weak in his own end. Should pan out to put up around 60 pts, hopefully 1st line along with Gaborik if not 2nd line.

thestonedkoala

O'Sullivan was hampered with a shoulder injury, thus he became quiet streaky.

They all should have great careers...

O'Sullivan should be better defensively with a coach like Lemaire taking him by the ears.

May 1, 2003
Visit site
thestonedkoala said:
O'Sullivan was hampered with a shoulder injury, thus he became quiet streaky.

They all should have great careers...

O'Sullivan should be better defensively with a coach like Lemaire taking him by the ears.
Ya i agree, O'Sullivan is should definetley improve under Lemaire, but as of right now hes the worse out of the 3 defensivley. How did this kid fall to the 53rd spot.

sparkplug

Apr 30, 2004
Vancouver BC
#2 said:
Ya i agree, O'Sullivan is should definetley improve under Lemaire, but as of right now hes the worse out of the 3 defensivley. How did this kid fall to the 53rd spot.

Issues in the household.

May 1, 2003
Visit site
sparkplug said:
Issues in the household.
oh ya i know that but really how could so many teams pass him up, like once he signs a contract in the NHL hes gonna have nothing to do with his abusive father, which should help his attitude.

sparkplug

Apr 30, 2004
Vancouver BC
I guess the GMs measured risk vs reward and decided to pass up. I believe in a draft year that wasn't as deep, he would've easily gone in the 1st round background or not.

leafaholix*

1. Zach Parise - I love his speed and quickness. Great hands and apparentely a very good defensive forward. He needs to put on some size in order to succeed, but that shouldn't be a problem.

2. Patrick O'Sullivan - I think he will thrive under the defensive system in Minnesota. It's a great place for a young player that has plenty of offense to start off. It will complete him as a solid NHL player for years to come.

3. Rob Schremp - Extremely flashy and quick, his OHL career has been very good, I'm looking to see how he matures as a player and person off the ice over the next year or so. A lot of talent, but he hasn't really proven anything.

thestonedkoala

1) O'Sullivan has improved immensely defensively this year. I don't know where people get the idea he is bad defensively. The whole team for the first couple of years has been bad defensively.

2) His problems have been overblown...

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
thestonedkoala said:
1) O'Sullivan has improved immensely defensively this year. I don't know where people get the idea he is bad defensively. The whole team for the first couple of years has been bad defensively.

An average +6 on a fairly powerfull team along with his even plus minus in the playoffs. I thought at the WJC he was so focused on the attack that he and his linemates were all poor as a group defensivly. That was the line that was scored on the most for USA there while not doing all that well offensivly. I thought the WJC was fairly poor for him other then that nice goal in the Canada game. Many said his linemates were to slow but I don't buy that at all.

leafaholix*

thestonedkoala said:
No, they haven't.

He has serious psychological problem thanks to his fathers constant abuse as a child and well into his OHL career. This is something that he'll carry throughout his life and it will affect him.

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
:shakehead It's a real shame that so many are so clueless about O'Sullivan's talent and skill level. And it's too damn bad that you don't base your opinions on the present facts, instead of what you may have read about him from 2 or 3 years ago. Apparently you haven't taken into account O'Sullivan's ice time or how much his team relies on him both offensively AND defensively. The guy has nearly twice the amount of ice time as anyone else on his team, particularly in the playoffs - of course, he's been out on the ice for more goals against - it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out, if you would stop and consider all the facts instead of just picking out what you believe might prove your point. And you also haven't taken into account that he had 17 power play goals during the regular season, most of which failed to count on his +/- stat. You also haven't considered his penalty killing contributions. I understand, you're operating on limited knowledge based on comments from media and whomever else. Surely, you've haven't seen him play, or your ignorance might be a bit more limited to only comments on his hockey game, instead of spewing trash about his non-existent "serious psychological problems".

You guys make me sick. :shakehead

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Leafaholix said:
No, they haven't.

He has serious psychological problem thanks to his fathers constant abuse as a child and well into his OHL career. This is something that he'll carry throughout his life and it will affect him.

You don't have the right to say that. You don't know him personally, and you certainly don't know what's going on in his mind. If anything, his play ON THE ICE indicates he has put much of his trouble behind him and is looking to prove his naysayers wrong. He was great in the OHL this year, clutch at the WJC's, and superb in the playoffs.

leafaholix*

Rabid Ranger said:
You don't have the right to say that. You don't know him personally, and you certainly don't know what's going on in his mind. If anything, his play ON THE ICE indicates he has put much of his trouble behind him and is looking to prove his naysayers wrong. He was great in the OHL this year, clutch at the WJC's, and superb in the playoffs.
It's a fact that abused children have psychological problems because of the way they have been treated and he's been treated very poorly by his father.

To say that it will not affect him is ignorant. It's much more important then hockey and he's grown up with it.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
All three ought to be great players.

O'Sullivan reminds me a bit of Marc Savard, but seemingly a better shot. I could see O'Sullivan being a fine #2 centre in this league, maybe even a #1 (though I don't think we'll ever compare him with Joe Sakic).

Zach Parise is a stunning player in that he's got so much heart and guts to go along with his skill. I also think people will be surprised to see how many goals he can score. He's not a playmaker, I don't think. Don't get me wrong, he can make plays, but I think he can score just as well. All-around offensive threat. I'd say he will probobly be the best of the three.

Rob Schremp - just sick talent. Flat out, unadulterated, talent. Not sure about his motivations, but there's reason to believe he could be the best of the three talent-wise.

How about a couple others to this list:

Derek Roy in Buffalo - seems to just find ways to score goals. Can't explain it all the time. I don't think he's on the same level skill-wise as these other guys, but for whatever reason, I could see him putting up similar numbers. Roy has a lot of heart.

Mikhail Yakubov - lots of folks kind of forgot about him, but I caught him playing a couple games in Chicago, and I have to say, I was impressed. He reminded me a lot of Viktor Kozlov, but he was winning a lot of battles - the particular night I saw him, he seemed to be the only Hawk who was really digging in and working in the corners. Not sure where he stacks up talent wise, but I think he is due for a breakout rookie campaign next season.

Antoine Vermette - I absolutely fell in love with this guy in the playoffs. So fast, and very underrated hands. I heard he had average hands, but that's incorrect - I saw him play a couple games for Ottawa where he displayed great mitts. Not sure about his shot though. Still, he could adapt his game to a defensive role if he doesn't make it as a scorer. His speed is just a great weapon. I like this kid a ton.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Leafaholix said:
It's a fact that abused children have psychological problems because of the way they have been treated and he's been treated very poorly by his father.

To say that it will not affect him is ignorant. It's much more important then hockey and he's grown up with it.

I never said he hasn't been affected. All I'm saying is you don't what's going on in his head, that's all. My point is, his on ice play seems to indicate he has put some things behind him, but who knows for sure? People can put the past behind them you know.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Zack Parise, easily. He reminds me of a young Mark Recchi, which is a comparison that i've been throwing around that has been picked up by a few around here. Mr. Intangibles. He's going to score at a decent clip and will probably be more of a complimentary player than a superstar, but those players aren't easy to find either. Most importantly, he's a gamer and a winner. You'll never see Parise give up on a play and that is one of the things that excites me the most about watching him at the next level. He'll be one of those quick adjustation type players as well, as it's widely known that will beats skill. Parise has plenty of the latter, but a lot more of the former.

His natural skill set, in my opinion, wouldn't put him in the top 10 or 15 prospects in the world. However, combined with his hockey sense and desire, he's right up there with the best of them. The Devils found as close to a sure thing as you can find as late as they selected them and should be proud of their scouting staff and the respective teams that passed on him due to size concerns.

Shot selection for Parise is still a concern for me. He needs to grow more accustomed to driving the net and getting the garbage goals and he'll be fine I think. It's just a matter of time before he's a 60-70 point contributer for the Devils. He fits right into that system and i'm pretty sure that his development made Berglund expendable.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Caniacforever said:
Zack Parise, easily. He reminds me of a young Mark Recchi, which is a comparison that i've been throwing around that has been picked up by a few around here. Mr. Intangibles. He's going to score at a decent clip and will probably be more of a complimentary player than a superstar, but those players aren't easy to find either. Most importantly, he's a gamer and a winner. You'll never see Parise give up on a play and that is one of the things that excites me the most about watching him at the next level. He'll be one of those quick adjustation type players as well, as it's widely known that will beats skill. Parise has plenty of the latter, but a lot more of the former.

His natural skill set, in my opinion, wouldn't put him in the top 10 or 15 prospects in the world. However, combined with his hockey sense and desire, he's right up there with the best of them. The Devils found as close to a sure thing as you can find as late as they selected them and should be proud of their scouting staff and the respective teams that passed on him due to size concerns.

Shot selection for Parise is still a concern for me. He needs to grow more accustomed to driving the net and getting the garbage goals and he'll be fine I think. It's just a matter of time before he's a 60-70 point contributer for the Devils. He fits right into that system and i'm pretty sure that his development made Berglund expendable.
Berglund was a winger, had nothing to do with Parise's development. Berglund was traded because of the depth along the wings and we needed a good centerman.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Mizral said:
Recchi to Parise is one of the best comparisons ever made on this website, Caniac. Very good.
Parise isn't near as fast or agile as Recchi, I actually think Vrana plays more like Recchi then Parise. Parise is kindoff a mix between York and Brad Richards IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->