Movies: Solo: A Star Wars Story, 25 May 2018 Release (Early reviews are in)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The way I saw it, Han never gave 2 ***** about the rebellion and its goals (Lucas made a mistake in RotJ, so I've always chosen to disreguard his behaviour in that one. General my ass...). All he cared about were the people he cared about. He'd never admit it, but he'd go through hell and back for them. That is the Han that should be portrayed in these movies...

In D&D terms, Han was Chaotic Good...

That's sort of what I was getting at. I don't see him as a completely selfish person who turned into a completely selfless person by the end of RotJ. I see him as a basically selfish person who's willing to make a few exceptions for people that he's most fond of. At the start of ANH, only Chewie and maybe Lando were people whom he would risk his life for. By the end of RotJ, the list had grown to include Leah and Luke.

They can simply portray him the same way in the new films. In fact, he may even start out as someone who really does care only about himself, until he rescues Chewbacca and meets Lando. They can also introduce some other characters (especially Woody Harrelson's, if he's, indeed, his mentor) that he might make exceptions for and risk his life for, just as long as they're out of the picture by the end, so that his character segues nicely into the drifter with only one or two friends that Luke and Obi-Wan meet in the cantina.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
I see we have entered the "now a lot of people think it sucks" phase of Rogue One. Same thing happened with Episode VII after all.

Both movies are fun rides and that's about it. TFA is more fun than RO but that is mostly because the pacing in RO is really off and that led to the characters being one-dimensional.

It is frustrating to see people go from one extreme to another on big blockbuster movies. After a while it seems all the analysts start to take over the narrative and what they point out as issues become gospel. A movie can have issues without being terrible.

Your phase theory makes perfect sense. It's because the first viewing of each movie comes with excitement, anticipation, novelty, and nostalgia. Once those wear off, they don't carry any weight for long-term enjoyment. In fact, Rogue One is boring to the point of unwatchable upon additional viewings.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Your phase theory makes perfect sense. It's because the first viewing of each movie comes with excitement, anticipation, novelty, and nostalgia. Once those wear off, they don't carry any weight for long-term enjoyment. In fact, Rogue One is boring to the point of unwatchable upon additional viewings.

Honestly, this sentiment is true. Rogue One wearing off on people isn't an indictment on the viewer. It's a flaw of the film.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Honestly, this sentiment is true. Rogue One wearing off on people isn't an indictment on the viewer. It's a flaw of the film.

Pretty much. I liked Rogue One more than The Force Awakens on first watch, especially since I find Abrams is still an underwhelming director, but TFA still has a bit more substance and so my opinion of it hasn't really gone down all that much when I watched it the second time.

Rogue One........has more impressive acting chops and direction, but also felt like a film that had more trouble in its production. Lack of characterization hurts repeat viewings.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA

Well said. It's not that people are trying to be cool and different by bashing a movie that made a lot of money, it's that the very real flaws of these films are exposed on subsequent viewings. Pretty much every Marvel movie has this same problem (though to be fair, about 95% of superhero movies suffer from this).

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
It is concerning that they've had problems with both of the standalone films now.

Particularly since the standalone films could be a welcome avenue for exploring the universe with new creative perspectives and stories. Alas, it seems like Disney prefers keeping even these standalone projects immediately connected to the original trilogy's pillars, whether it be through plot or character, while also aiming for consistency in delivery and tone.....

Which to be fair, is likely the best solution for guaranteeing money and fandom. The Marvel universe is likely the same model they will be applying to Star Wars, and I can't hate on Disney for playing it safe and smart, featuring elements that are recognizable to the general market. Part of keeping it this way is keeping a tight control of the product, and if Miller and Lord wanted to deviate from this then they could not be allowed to continue.

Last edited:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I think they probably initially wanted to take more risks with the standalones, but then TFA absolutely crushed at the box office and I think Disney pulled back the reins on the standalones, not wanting to stray too far from what worked in that film. Rogue One sounded it was initially more of a straight war movie, but then they went back and "softened" the tone up. It sounds like this was veering into a straight comedy, and while the character Han Solo does have comedic elements to him, it's more in a roguish sarcastic way than straight up cracking jokes.

This is why I kind of didn't want them to do the standalones tied so directly into previous film canon. There's a certain tone and attitude you have to give already existing characters. Which is why I don't really understand why Lord and Miller were chosen to do the film in the first place. Their films have a certain style to them that I don't think fits a Han Solo film.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
That was my first reaction as well :laugh:

I think it's going to be more like a collaboration of Howard and Kasdan. Howard is mostly there to calm things down. Kasdan has said this is his last film, and he probably understands the character of Han Solo better than anybody, so I would imagine he's going to have quite a bit of infuence on the film. Probably more so now with Lord and Miller out.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
the AC Crespin books are better than almost any movie could possibly be anyway, they'll always be the backstory of Han for me
These are some of the best of the EU books. Along with the X-wing novels and the original Zahn trilogy, I consider them canon. (I grudgingly accept The Courtship of Princess Leia in this category as well.)

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I wonder if the original trilogy and most 80s sci-fi/fantasy movies are legendary in retrospect (to my generation, anyway) because we as kids didn't feel the need to call attention to ourselves as such masterful movie critics, or the need to ***** and moan about the things that weren't a perfect fit. We just enjoyed the ride and talked non-stop about what we loved.

The Force Awakens and Rogue One were faithful to the Star Wars mythos. Sounds like the changes to Han Solo are for the better as well.

Disagree.

If you watch ANH or ESB today you'll see those two movies are paced exceptionally well. It took until TFA to get another well paced Star Wars movie and Rogue One has major pacing problems if you ask me.

The movie is still good but pacing is one of those things that everybody picks up on, most people don't realize what they are picking up on but they feel something.

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
This movie sounds like a shipwreck.

But not to worry. The fanboys will stay pay top dollar to come dress up and see it opening night, no matter what the reviews say :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad