Movies: Solo: A Star Wars Story, 25 May 2018 Release (Early reviews are in)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I never really saw how a 21 jump street-esque Star Wars movie was gonna work anyways so this is fine with me

Also am I the only one that think the Jump Street movies aren't really all that great?

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I never really saw how a 21 jump street-esque Star Wars movie was gonna work anyways so this is fine with me

Also am I the only one that think the Jump Street movies aren't really all that great?

The timing of this decision certainly seems like bad news regardless of how you feel about Miller-Lord.

That said, I agree that I never thought they were a great choice. I've enjoyed their movies, but they strike me as two guys who can string together a few funny pop culture gags and that's about it ...

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
The timing of this decision certainly seems like bad news regardless of how you feel about Miller-Lord.

That said, I agree that I never thought they were a great choice. I've enjoyed their movies, but they strike me as two guys who can string together a few funny pop culture gags and that's about it ...

From the reports Kasdan wasn't happy with how Han Solo was being portrayed.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Disney was supposed to destroy the ****** Star Wars movies, not join them
:laugh:

No idea why Lucasfilm couldn't just let these guys make it their way. Not every SW film needs to have exactly the same look and feel, some snarky humor may have made this particular film feel right at home. Bugs me when the execs overrule the creative.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
:laugh:

No idea why Lucasfilm couldn't just let these guys make it their way. Not every SW film needs to have exactly the same look and feel, some snarky humor may have made this particular film feel right at home. Bugs me when the execs overrule the creative.

Exactly. Say what you will about Lord/Miller, but this level of interference from execs is almost never a good thing. Let the people with the actual talent do their thing and just sit back and count your money.

kingsholygrail

Bonus Hockey Unlocked 44-27-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
These aren't low-grossing Oscar movies. They only exist to make lots of money and so far, Disney has been 100% correct with their decisions. People love these movies. Contrarian internet denizens that want everything to be Kubrick are non-factors.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/star-wars-han-solo-kathleen-kennedy-director-fired-1202473919/

Kathleen Kennedy appears to being the driving force behind the decision, and the thread title should be updated to reflect that Lord/Miller were fired. So stupid, I kind of hope this sucks now.

Sounds like the co-directors wanted to turn Han Solo into Starlord, whereas the writer wanted to preserve more of the original Harrison Ford feel.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...y-han-solo-movie-directors-were-fired-1015474

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that the style and vision of Lord and Miller clashed with that of Lawrence Kasdan, the legendary screenwriter behind the classics Empire Strikes Back and ‪Raiders of the Lost Ark, who also wrote, with his son, Jon Kasdan, the script for the Han Solo stand-alone set (for now) to be released in 2018.

Lord and Miller (21 Jump Street, The Lego Movie) have a comedic sensibility and improvisational style while Kasdan favors a strict adherence to the written word — what is on the page is what must be shot.

The creative clash, according to one insider, also came down to differences in understanding the character of Han Solo. “People need to understand that Han Solo is not a comedic personality. He’s sarcastic and selfish,†said that source.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It's cover for Kasdan because his son helped write this movie and Lord/Miller like to improvise and go off script.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It just seems odd to me the film would get this far into production before they realized they had "creative differences" that were too much to deal with. Did Lord and Miller not lay out their plans for the character, or did they change their minds midstream? Did Lucasfilm change their minds on the direction they wanted to go? It just seems like this is something that should have been hashed out before they got this far into shooting the thing.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Could be the biggest movie yet to use Alan Smithee as director credit. Also creates a big issue for residuals etc.

At the heart of the matter is the guild’s protection of directors’ rights. The DGA has a strict rule which prohibits replacing the director with someone else from the film’s team except for a brief emergency. It's designed to discourage producers from forcing out a helmer and taking over a picture. And it means that despite speculation that veteran writer-director Lawrence Kasdan, an executive producer on the film who has written the new screenplay with his son Jon Kasdan, could step in to direct, such a move would violate the DGA rule.

But once a new helmer comes aboard — Ron Howard and Joe Johnston are among the names being mentioned — a new question will arise: Who will get the finished film's directing credit?

That’s tough. Presumably, Lucasfilm would prefer that the new director receive credit and will argue that his (or her) vision is the one that predominates in the ultimate film. But Lord and Miller signed on two years ago, and have been shooting since February, with only a few weeks of principal photography left. That gives them a strong claim to credit.

But complicating the matter is the vital role that postproduction plays in a big effects-laden film — and that will all be overseen by the new director.

The DGA doesn’t much like multiple directors to begin with: “There will be only one Director assigned to direct a motion picture at any given time,” says the guild's “one director” rule. But waivers are possible, and increasingly common — especially in the case of established directing teams. Still, it would be a stretch for the DGA to approve three directors' names on a film.

And there's a further twist: While the Writers Guild of America has elaborate rules and even an appeals procedure for credit disputes, the DGA doesn’t.

Instead, the rule is simply this: The DGA decides, and everyone is bound by that decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad