Socks or No Socks

Status
Not open for further replies.

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
Always seems to be a mix, when I look around the locker room.

I personally have never worn socks with my skates. Besides being habit, I find that I can squeeze into a half size smaller skates without them, and to me the smaller skates I have, the better I skate.

That being said - what is your preference?

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
I put socks on. I've always played with socks so I guess I won't change since it's a habit for me. I have been using the same pair of socks for the last 2 years and I washed them twice since the begining of the year so they smell pretty awful.

Icer

Oct 15, 2004
I use socks to wick away moisture. Otherwise my skates would weigh about 50 lbs each from all the extra sweat. My skates smell better too.

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
I couldn't stand not wearing socks! it would feel so wierd....

like 6 years ago i played on house just for sh!ts and giggles and there was a kid on my team who was seriously about 80 pounds overweight... he couldn't even move on the ice... he had to wear his skates barefoot bc his feet were so fat

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
If sock thickness is an issue, I highly suggest a pair of either UnderArmour or CCM Oxysox. They are extremely thin, so they simulate the sockless approach, as well as promoting circulation in your foot.

like Finn's example (though not 80lbs overweight)... my feet are incredibly big, so having those socks is a lifesaver when I have to accomodate for not only my foot's size (wide... oh so wide) but also orthotic inserts to correct my arches.

CoupeStanley

Dec 1, 2003
Nicolet
coupestanley.com
Socks for me...

Couldn't imagine playing pond hockey in Quebec without sock... wouldnt feel my feet from 10 minutes on..

I started skating at 5.. my mother wouldnt let me play without socks.. Guess I got the habit from there, heh!

Cheers,
Matt

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Habsfan 32 said:
I tried skating with no socks tonight and man it felt horrible. I now have a huge blister on my big toe. :madfire:

:biglaugh: And we caused all your misery

To defend the "no socks" crowd, from what friends have told me, not wearing socks is a better way to get a feel for the ice and make it more natural to skate on.

Then again, i don't see what's so natural about having pieces of metal strapped to your feet but who's to complain?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
i grew up not wearing socks through college, but now i wear them. my feet sweat a lot more :eek: than they used to and it just isnt comfortable. i get better grip now with socks than without.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
futurcorerock said:
:biglaugh: And we caused all your misery

To defend the "no socks" crowd, from what friends have told me, not wearing socks is a better way to get a feel for the ice and make it more natural to skate on.

Then again, i don't see what's so natural about having pieces of metal strapped to your feet but who's to complain?

I know you guys influenced me to try it with no socks! :biglaugh:

Murphy*

usiel said:
No socks for me. Its like I can feel the ice better.

I personally, had never seen anyone play without socks but that's just because I only play on outdoor ponds. So it was quite the shock to see that.

MikeS

Years ago I skated barefoot, and I used to baby-powder my skates after every skate! :dunno:

But now I always skate with socks. I tried barefoot when I first bought these skates, but got bad blisters, went to socks and have never looked back........

Last edited:

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
No socks.

I'm a goalie and for some reason when I wear socks it feels like my feet are in cement. I don't feel comfortable and I don't feel quick. Losing the socks feels excellent. I started not wearing them when I was about 14 and now can't ever play with socks again.

Pavel

Mar 1, 2004
Houston
Socks. I've been using soccer socks because of how tall they are. I have Jopa 7500 shin guards and the Velcro on the back always irritated my legs when I wore shorter socks. The under armour one work well too but are very pricey.

Mxpunk

Jul 3, 2004
RPV, CA
I used to ALWAYS wear sweat socks when skating...However, one college game, I forgot them....I went barefoot, and man, did it feel good....My skates weren't as tight, the socks didn't wrinkle up on me (causing blisters). Now, I NEVER wear socks when playing, even in roller hockey...I just feel bad for the guy who sharpens my skates!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->