Speculation: So who's the new Captain?

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
listen hank should be the unofficial captain

give A's to staal and Kreider and Fast I guess which is absurd. but everyone should know the captain of this team.

at some point one of the kids will emerge. it will probably be howden lindgren or most likely andersson

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
listen hank should be the unofficial captain

give A's to staal and Kreider and Fast I guess which is absurd. but everyone should know the captain of this team.

at some point one of the kids will emerge. it will probably be howden lindgren or most likely andersson

Until Hank shows that he can be tolerable of defensive mistakes (something thats going to happen a lot over the next few years)... I'm against this.

Let the coaches reprimand/teach our young defensemen, no need to shame them on the ice.

I'm not a fan of his little temper tantrums after goals... if you want to call out veteran players for stupid mistakes... fine. But its a whole new animals when dealing with rookies and other young players.

Reactions: EssEmmEll

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Until Hank shows that he can be tolerable of defensive mistakes (something thats going to happen a lot over the next few years)... I'm against this.

Let the coaches reprimand/teach our young defensemen, no need to shame them on the ice.

I'm not a fan of his little temper tantrums after goals... if you want to call out veteran players for stupid mistakes... fine. But its a whole new animals when dealing with rookies and other young players.

I have no issues with Hanks demonstrations.

The best way for a kid to grow is to treat them no different than the Vets.

The ONLY caveat is that you know going in that there are going to be more mis-plays with younger defenders than with older guys.

The problem is when both the vet and rookie are making the same mistakes and the coach punishes one (rook) while not punishing the other (vet)

If the kid gets his feelings hurt by the reaction of a teammate, then the kid needs a whole lot of maturing to do.

Last thing we need to do is coddle these youngsters.

Reactions: Siddi

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
Rangers brass isn’t going to slap a “C” on anyone that’s not 100% certain to be with us for the foreseeable future. The only player that fits that mold is Lundqvist, and while everyone knows he’s always been the real captain, it’s just not a normal thing to name a goalie captain. Basically like some others have said, it could be a very long time before a captain is named, unless management is dead set against trading Zucc. Which would be bewildering given that they’ve been so clear that everyone not named Hank is for sale.

Reactions: Vinny DeAngelo

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
I think Zucc is probably gone in the summer

Kreider doesn’t seem like a captain guy

I think Zibby and Shatty are in the running for captain honesty. Staal too, maybe he gets the advantage due to his tenure

My guess would be they don’t name a captain next training camp and go into the year with 4 A’s

Staal
Fast
Shattenkirk
Kreider/Zibanejad

I wouldn't name Zibby a captain ever. personally. Shatty I guess? Not sure, he's still only been here for a short while. Staal just shouldn't be captain because he can't even play at an NHL caliber level. Fast would never get the C, imo.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I wouldn't name Zibby a captain ever. personally. Shatty I guess? Not sure, he's still only been here for a short while. Staal just shouldn't be captain because he can't even play at an NHL caliber level. Fast would never get the C, imo.

I was surprised they gave Fast an "A". Things go on behind closed doors we in the public are not privy to. Fast might have command of the room, for all we know. And have you noticed he has really upped his physical game lately?

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
I was surprised they gave Fast an "A". Things go on behind closed doors we in the public are not privy to. Fast might have command of the room, for all we know. And have you noticed he has really upped his physical game lately?

I was surprised about that as well. Honestly thought they'd just hand it to Kreider or something. Fast kind of seems like a quiet guy, maybe I'm perceiving him wrongly lol.

I guess he has. He wants that captaincy!

Reactions: will1066

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
A`s are fine for me until Gorton figure out how deep this rebuild is, but one thing is certain remove all veterans for youth won`t do this team any good next season. And that include Kevin & Zucc, and Kreider he is consider a veteran now in my view.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Zucc the next 5ish years before Lias Andersson turns into the next Bergeron :sarcasm: and gets the C when Zucc retires.

Reactions: Ori

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I have no issues with Hanks demonstrations.

The best way for a kid to grow is to treat them no different than the Vets.

The ONLY caveat is that you know going in that there are going to be more mis-plays with younger defenders than with older guys.

The problem is when both the vet and rookie are making the same mistakes and the coach punishes one (rook) while not punishing the other (vet)

If the kid gets his feelings hurt by the reaction of a teammate, then the kid needs a whole lot of maturing to do.

Last thing we need to do is coddle these youngsters.

No way. This isn’t about coddling. I’m sorry, but it’s ludicrous that you’re OK with someone showing up his teammates like that. And even more ridiculous that you’d be fine with him doing it to young players.

Hank has very few faults. But that is a major one of his.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
A Girl Scout once rang McLeod's doorbell. He opened the door and was so scary, the Girl Scout gave away all her cookies to Big Bad Cody and ran away. He proceeded to bring the cookies to practice and handed them out to all the good Rangers. Including the much-maligned Jimmy Vesey. Cody felt that Little Jimmy needed some encouragement and shouldn't feel sad all the time. Even Jim Ramsey and Cass Marques each received a cookie. But he didn't give any cookies to Alain Vigneault, Scott Arniel, and Lindy Ruff. The Rangers decided to give McLeod the "C" and all the "A"s.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Kreider shocked me when he went with Hamonic....that is a start . I would stick an A on him for now and see what the first 10-20 games bring from him next season . He can be that guy....the question is ....does he want to be ?

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
No way. This isn’t about coddling. I’m sorry, but it’s ludicrous that you’re OK with someone showing up his teammates like that. And even more ridiculous that you’d be fine with him doing it to young players.

Hank has very few faults. But that is a major one of his.

I respect your opinion, but I completely disagree.

This is not a day care center.

Reactions: Siddi

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
...it’s just not a normal thing to name a goalie captain.
Its not normal because the NHL has a rule against it :) In 1948 the NHL ruled that it was illegal to name your goalie captain or alternative captain (called the Durnan rule).

The Canucks named Luongo team captain in 2008 - 2010, but due to the rule of him not being allowed a letter, Willie Mitchell was wearing the C. The Rangers could so something similar i guess, just make Hank the official captain, then slap the C on one of the others. Though i dont think Hank needs a letter, he has managed for a decade without it :)

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
There's a difference between being a daycare center and showing people up. Not sure how you don't see that. I thought it would be obvious to anyone, actually.

I don't view it as showing people up.

I view it as a pissed off goalie being mad a defender/forward that f***ed up.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I don't view it as showing people up.

I view it as a pissed off goalie being mad a defender/forward that ****ed up.

You don't view staring down a player like he's done on occasion to be showing someone up? Come on, man. That's absurd. I can't think of another player out there who does it like Hank does. It's not a good look for him as it serves no purpose. Hell, it's been pointed out for years, now.

The man has few faults. But that sure as shit is one. It's obnoxious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad