Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Keep top 3 lines as they are as long as Stephenson holds up

4th line of DSP-Backstrom-Beagle

Good luck matching that

Reactions: discobob

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I think you have to keep a top 5 faceoff guy in the league at C ;)

He can take the face offs still, less strain on Backstrom's hand

At this point they're playing better without him than they were with him so reinsert him low and complimentary

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
Gonna be honest, I'd rather see us move forward with Backstrom coming back healthy when he's healthy. Let him sit game 3 and evaluate where we are. We're playing fantastic hockey and I'd rather us finish off Tampa Bay quickly and let Backstrom come in after this series. No need to rush him back, we're fine atm.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
people get this way. Its typical. Eller has been great stepping up and there's no reason to rush Backstrom back. But once Backstrom is back, he returns to being the center that plays the most minutes per game. He is not going to start playing with Brett Connolly. Eller will return to his 3C slot and the 2nd pp unit.

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
I would do

8-92-43
18-19-65 (although I don’t like 65 up here)
13-20-77
10/39-83-25

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
They should rest him until he's 100% healthy. Alan May said he was shooting muffins at practice yesterday so he's clearly not back to full strength.

You do not f*** with what is going on right now. If/when Tampa wins one and if Backstrom is healthy put him back in. A fresh Nick Backstrom heading into the SCF would be a pretty nice shot in the arm.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
65 has to be the odd man out. Somehow.
I kind of agree with this. How do you sit 39 or 10?

I might give Bura 1 game to earn a spot once Backstrom comes back. If he can’t earn his spot back, he should sit until somebody gives him a chance by playing poorly.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I kind of agree with this. How do you sit 39 or 10?

I might give Bura 1 game to earn a spot once Backstrom comes back. If he can’t earn his spot back, he should sit until somebody gives him a chance by playing poorly.

Maybe you rest NB one more at least and see if Bura can show something before making a move.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

CapsDC

May 2, 2018
Interesting Trotz comment that it's actually up to Backstrom to decide when to come back. Most coaches don't say that even if it's true, to shield the player from any criticism. I'm sure Backstrom wouldn't rush himself back but I really hope the coaches would veto his decision if they truly felt he wasn't healthy enough and wanted to play. EVERYTHING is currently going right, we don't need him to rush back right now. We might really need him close to 100% to win the next round

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Regardless of where Backstrom slots in, I think the most important benefit is getting Stephenson back on the wing. Much of 18's efficacy in the playoffs has come as a result of his transition play. He's been terrific as the F1 on his line, leading the charge into the offensive zone both with and without the puck. However, as a center, he doesn't end up getting to be the F1 on many rushes, and his speed is somewhat neutralized. As a winger, he can defend much higher in the zone, enabling him to jump into the neutral zone and use his speed to lead the breakout. As a center, his defensive responsibilities pull him much lower into the defensive zone, and he's usually forced into a trailing role on the breakout and transition. Getting 18 back on the wing enables him to play the F1 role much more effectively and maximizes his skating abilities.

Translating that into what to do with Backstrom, that basically just means that Nicky has to slot in at center somewhere in the top 9. Anything but a 4th line role would work for him. I'm in favor of going with an 18-19-65 line, personally.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Burakovsky has to earn his spot in the lineup when Backstrom is back, in my opinion. It's a four horse race between he, DSP, Chiasson, and Connolly for three jerseys. He's done little to earn a spot in the lineup over those three thus far. He's easily the weakest player along the boards amongst the forwards, he still takes too long to get his shots off, he doesn't PK, he doesn't block shots particularly well.... simply put, if he's not producing offense he's not really contributing anything. Peak Burakovsky could look outstanding on a line with Backstrom and Stephenson but he needs to earn that right.

Reactions: g00n

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Burakovsky has to earn his spot in the lineup when Backstrom is back, in my opinion. It's a four horse race between he, DSP, Chiasson, and Connolly for three jerseys. He's done little to earn a spot in the lineup over those three thus far. He's easily the weakest player along the boards amongst the forwards, he still takes too long to get his shots off, he doesn't PK, he doesn't block shots particularly well.... simply put, if he's not producing offense he's not really contributing anything. Peak Burakovsky could look outstanding on a line with Backstrom and Stephenson but he needs to earn that right.

Hard to argue with any of that.

It's awesome because a Month ago we'd have all said DSP was a black hole for offense. Connolly was ice cold, and Chiasson was a plug. Those dudes have all produced reasonably well given the chances they've had.

Burakovsky could be the odd man out.

Last edited:

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
So far Burakovsky seems like the obvious scratch candidate but Its tough for a guy like Burakovsky to come back from inury and make an immediate impact, I hope he can find his game in game 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad