So we get to see the new jersey designs next week (RBK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
cecilnyr said:
I'll back him up on this as I am in the same field. He is 100% right on this. I work in New Jersey and just now for the Super Bowl we couldn't keep Steelers items in the store. People bought anything w/ black and gold on it. The markets work exactly the way Van described it. I've been in the industry over 7 years now, the hottest thing 3 years ago were authentic football jerseys because all the rappers wore them and they became mainstream. Jay-Z stops wearing them and they become a dead ticket. Then it was throwback jerseys, now its youth jerseys NHL, NFL, NBA.

The sports retail industry changes daily and with RBK owning the licenses for 3 of the 4 major sports leagues they have a pretty big say in where the industry will be headed the next few years. When I got into the industry RBK was still recovering from bankruptcy and was a no-name in the market. It was Pro-Player, Nike, CCM etc...Now RBK is thriving again and so attractive that Adidas spent a boatload of cash acquiring/merging with them. Still not sure how that transaction is going to affect the industry.

Thats the NFL, thats a completely different market

and outside of special events like the olympics, or the cup finals, jersey sales will be down for the casual consumer, and thats where the big money is - being able to sell the product year round.

people wear baseball, basketball, and football jersesy as fashion

who will want to wear sleek form-fitting hockey jerseys?

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
I'd like to see how they look first, maybe they'll help reduce some of the clutching and grabbing.

Changing them will be a shame as hockey jerseys are the nicest looking out of the big four sports.

Last edited:

BCCHL inactive

Metallian said:

Nike didn't do it with the IIHF replicas. What makes you think RBK will make the NHL replicas form-fitting?

chiavsfan

Metallian said:

and outside of special events like the olympics, or the cup finals, jersey sales will be down for the casual consumer, and thats where the big money is - being able to sell the product year round.

Have you ever been to a game?? There are plenty of hockey fans who have jerseys that are form fitting...granted they aren't supposed to be form fitting, but...oh well, I'll stop there

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
cecilnyr said:
Hey guys I was down in Orlando Jan 23/24 for the licensed sports supershow. RBK was there and had 2 of the jerseys on display w/ the All-Star logos. I took a very close look at them. They are not as bad as everyone thinks. They have to get approval on this still and the tuck thing might just be the thing that prevents this from happening. Here's the really bad news. They are creating a swingman type of hockey jersey w/ player name and number applied to it already in a cheaply made fabric. Any of you who have seen the NBA swingman jerseys or the NFL EQT/Repli-Thentic jerseys know what I'm talking about. The pricing on these will be about $90 retail. They are jacking up the price of replica jerseys so that they cost $100 blank! And anywhere from $175-$200 for player name/number. And the authentic jerseys will be $200 blank and $275-$300 lettered up.

I'm not questioning your veracity but I am a little confused as someone who's about as far away from any kind of marketing as one can get.

Based on the original McKenzie article I am to assume that not every GM has seen these jerseys. What sense does it make to have them on display at a trade show when the league executives haven't all had a chance to examine, let alone approve, the new jerseys? Shouldn't the league approve of the designs BEFORE the company goes off displaying them at a show? It just doesn't make much sense to me.

As for the jerseys, I'll decide if I hate them after I actually see them. I am amused by all the posters in this thread who are scared by a change that they know nothing about.

cecilnyr

Jun 28, 2005
Ruckus007 said:
Based on the original McKenzie article I am to assume that not every GM has seen these jerseys. What sense does it make to have them on display at a trade show when the league executives haven't all had a chance to examine, let alone approve, the new jerseys? Shouldn't the league approve of the designs BEFORE the company goes off displaying them at a show? It just doesn't make much sense to me.

I too was miffed as to why they had them on display. If I get my scanner working I'll scan in pictures from the RBK 06-07 hockey catalog that they handed us at the trade show which has all of RBK's plans for the hockey category which I stated earlier.

I see you have your doubts about me which is fine. I suppose the reasoning for having the jerseys there is to show retailers what they are planning to do with the hockey category provided they get approval. There were no team specific logos on the jerseys just the All-Star logos.

Again I don't know for sure why RBK would do this other than what I just stated. Believe me if you want, I was just sharing the information with others on here that might be interested.

who_me?

Oct 7, 2003
Mr. T said:
I'd like to see how they look first, maybe they'll reducing some clutching and grabbing.

not only clutching and grabbing, but what about fights? looks like there's a lot less to grab onto, and pulling the jersey over another guy's head won't be so easy.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Metallian said:

I disagree, i live in calgary and when the flames playoff run went into the 2nd round the red jerseys started flying off the shelves, the same thing happened in Minn 2 years ago, hell even snoop dogg has been seen wearing flames & oiler jerseys.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
cecilnyr said:
I too was miffed as to why they had them on display. If I get my scanner working I'll scan in pictures from the RBK 06-07 hockey catalog that they handed us at the trade show which has all of RBK's plans for the hockey category which I stated earlier.

I see you have your doubts about me which is fine. I suppose the reasoning for having the jerseys there is to show retailers what they are planning to do with the hockey category provided they get approval. There were no team specific logos on the jerseys just the All-Star logos.

Again I don't know for sure why RBK would do this other than what I just stated. Believe me if you want, I was just sharing the information with others on here that might be interested.

I don't not believe you, or at least am not questioning your honesty but understand I'm going to remain incredibly skeptical until this all turns out.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Public launch date?

When are these going to be on display? Am I correct in understanding that an ECHL club will be wearing the uniforms this week?

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
CornKicker said:
I disagree, i live in calgary and when the flames playoff run went into the 2nd round the red jerseys started flying off the shelves, the same thing happened in Minn 2 years ago, hell even snoop dogg has been seen wearing flames & oiler jerseys.

the first playoff run in a decade combined with the "red C[sea]" gimmick is considered a special event.

plus, calgary has some of the nicest home jerseys in league history, anyone would want to buy one.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
chiavsfan said:
Have you ever been to a game?? There are plenty of hockey fans who have jerseys that are form fitting...granted they aren't supposed to be form fitting, but...oh well, I'll stop there

:biglaugh: :clap:

KrisKing*

Apparently they showed the new jerseys/rollerball pants on TSN. Anyone see it, or is there a picture floating around out there somewhere? I am dying to see these things, I have a feeling they're going to be hilarious.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
KrisKing said:
Apparently they showed the new jerseys/rollerball pants on TSN. Anyone see it, or is there a picture floating around out there somewhere? I am dying to see these things, I have a feeling they're going to be hilarious.

I heard that the Vegas Wranglers of the ECHL would be wearing the new RBK uniform in a game, and I thought that already happened. I don't have a link, but I remember reading it on the TSN site.

SIDE NOTE: This thread is loaded with ignorant, baseless idiocy. What a bunch of dinosaurs! Think about how much hockey uniforms have evolved already! They used to be form-fitted, heavy knits! See Maroons uniform. Players used to wear coats with team emblems on the left breast! See photo of a goaltender

Here's an interesting link about the evolution of goalie equipment. Goalies didn't started wearing the glove-and-blocker combination until the '40s.

The reason things change over time is because people come up with new, better ideas. Goalies started wearing masks. Players began wearing helmets. The list goes on.

Regarding the impact a better uniform would have on goalies, don't be ridiculous. Goalies can be assisted GREATLY by new, better materials. If it sheds water better than the current uniform, it keeps the uniform lighter. Obviously this helps the goaltender use less energy to get up and down, and move more quickly. If it's cooler, it allows the goalie to sweat less, meaning his gear is even lighter yet, and he won't fatigue as quickly.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
kurt said:
I heard that the Vegas Wranglers of the ECHL would be wearing the new RBK uniform in a game, and I thought that already happened. I don't have a link, but I remember reading it on the TSN site.

I found the link. Click here. It looks like the Vegas club only modelled them for the GMs.

JV

Feb 12, 2003
na
Visit site
kurt said:
SIDE NOTE: This thread is loaded with ignorant, baseless idiocy. What a bunch of dinosaurs! Think about how much hockey uniforms have evolved already! They used to be form-fitted, heavy knits!

Uh, this is the same reaction fans had to the cooperall pant of the early 80s(?). That was a hideous departure from hockey tradition and it was quickly reversed precisely because of the reaction you describe as ignorant, reactionary and idiotic. Hockey uniforms and equipment have certainly evolved, to use your term, but they have done so through a process of intelligent design (ID) that was informed by the game's traditions. ID is not something that should be brushed aside by evolutionary hockey biologists such as yourself. If you do, you risk getting struck by a lightning bolt in the face, or a horde of locusts ruining every picnic you ever have, for eternity.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
JV said:
Uh, this is the same reaction fans had to the cooperall pant of the early 80s(?). That was a hideous departure from hockey tradition and it was quickly reversed precisely because of the reaction you describe as ignorant, reactionary and idiotic. Hockey uniforms and equipment have certainly evolved, to use your term, but they have done so through a process of intelligent design (ID) that was informed by the game's traditions. ID is not something that should be brushed aside by evolutionary hockey biologists such as yourself. If you do, you risk getting struck by a lightning bolt in the face, or a horde of locusts ruining every picnic you ever have, for eternity.
:clap: best post in the thread.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
PecaFan said:
Ah youth. Staunch traditionalists, always afraid of change.

Colour me crazy, but I'll judge *after* seeing them.

We've seen what they did to CFL jerseys.

If they touch one thread, one stripe, one colour, they will have destroyed the NHL's look in a similar fashion.

Screw Reebok, hope they go bankrupt.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
Resolute said:

If they touch one thread, one stripe, one colour, they will have destroyed the NHL's look in a similar fashion.

agreed....those RBK jerseys were horrible for the CFL

X0ssbar

kurt said:

SIDE NOTE: This thread is loaded with ignorant, baseless idiocy. What a bunch of dinosaurs! Think about how much hockey uniforms have evolved already! They used to be form-fitted, heavy knits! See Maroons uniform. Players used to wear coats with team emblems on the left breast! See photo of a goaltender

Here's an interesting link about the evolution of goalie equipment. Goalies didn't started wearing the glove-and-blocker combination until the '40s.

The reason things change over time is because people come up with new, better ideas. Goalies started wearing masks. Players began wearing helmets. The list goes on.

Regarding the impact a better uniform would have on goalies, don't be ridiculous. Goalies can be assisted GREATLY by new, better materials. If it sheds water better than the current uniform, it keeps the uniform lighter. Obviously this helps the goaltender use less energy to get up and down, and move more quickly. If it's cooler, it allows the goalie to sweat less, meaning his gear is even lighter yet, and he won't fatigue as quickly.

Great post :clap:

Some around here are probably still protesting the mandatory use of the helmet. Lets give these new uni's a chance people.

BCCHL inactive

Resolute said:

This is completely different from what RBK did with the CFL. You can have your own opinions about the designs, but all RBK did with the CFL was change the look of every team. It was simply a fashion decision to give the league a new visual appearance, and like it or not, it worked. CFL jerseys sold better than they ever have before during the 2005 season.

With the NHL, RBK is going to change the entire dynamics of a hockey uniform. They're not just changing a look, they're changing so much more.

As mentioned, this brings back memories of the Cooper-all disaster.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
Well they have to be better than the Olympic jerseys where you cannot even tell the jerseys apart if the main logo was taken off.

Im pretty sure most people could name all the NHL jerseys without the logo because they all have some individuality to them.

lemieux32*

Metallian said:
baseball clothes are still baggy, it depends on the player. they are hardly "tight fitting" for anyone who isnt fat though.

and many players still keep their socks high

Go look through pictures of the evolution of the baseball uniform and then come back and say they did not have a tight fitting phase. Or just check out this picture of a typical 70's uniform:
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/2005/07/08/3000.club/rose2.jpg

Yes, there will always be a handfull of players who do things differently, such as the fact that some NHL players still wear big cuffs on their gloves or tuck jerseys in, some wear tighter jerseys, some (Modano) like them very loose, but the basic style changes through time, as evidenced by baseball and by this link in hockey:
http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nhl/montreal/canadienspics.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->