so uhh when's the Ninimaa story coming out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Below are several comments from teammates in support of Niinimaa.While we're waiting for the story to come out,why don't you post comments from the players saying Niinimaa overreacted and the coach wasn't out of line.

Maybe some comments from players saying they'll gladly play under this head coach in the next international tournament?

The links are several days old and you may need to go to the site archives, for the whole articles.

http://www.wch04.com/countries/fin/notebook090604.html
Turmoil-ridden Finns will take win
By Risto Pakarinen
Sept. 6, 2004

Twenty hours later, defenseman Janne Niinimaa had left the team, citing "chemistry problems" with the coach as the reason and 15 hours from that, the rumour around the press center was Summanen might not even show up behind the bench and that there was a revolt in the making on the Finnish team, with several players ready to call it quits.

www.canada.com/ottawa/ott...1b81e0d06a
Niinimaa's departure overshadows Finnish win
But the players were also clear in their support of Niinimaa, Summanen's favourite whipping boy. "You're always surprised when something like that happens, but everyone knows what the situation on the team is," said defenceman Teppo Numminen. "Everyone supports Janne and he is still a member of our team, and I think everyone was really professional in preparing for the game, but it wasn't easy."

He practised with the team on Sunday and appeared to be in good spirits. But around 7 p.m., according to team officials, he told several players and team general manager Kalervo Kummola he was leaving. "I didn't expect it," said Finnish captain Saku Koivu. "I had a long phone call with him and said I wished this wasn't happening. But I said we had to go on. We had a game and life goes on.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2004/09/14/sports1921EDT0435.DTL

"We don't think that he did anything bad," Nieminen said about Niinimaa. "We heard the conversation and it was truly acceptable that he left. "After the Germany game we went to his house for a couple of beers. I think that says something about this team that we care about each other and we care about Janne Niinimaa."

Even though he wasn't there for the final game, Niinimaa had not been forgotten by his teammates as they entered the biggest hockey game in their country's history.

"Janne is a really good friend of ours and we're there to help," forward Teemu Selanne said. "Janne is part of this team still."

Last edited:

Stickaboo

Sep 17, 2004
Finlandiss
highstickingyerface said:
World Cup is over crybaby

where's the big story?

tell us what this coach said that was worth leaving your country for?????????

we're waiting

I'm pretty sure that we won't never hear the bottom line of this subject. There won't be any big stories from Niinimaa nor Mr. Summanen. I believe Janne doesn't want to be taken as a crybaby as you labeled him and therefore doesn't want to go to details. Summanen shouldn't say anything 'cause it might cost his job which already was at stake. Generally we Finns were left under that impression that Summanen bought himself an OT when Finland survived in the final. Otherwise he would have surely been sacked!

His coaching style is very raw as was his playing style..all heart. This has caused many difficult situations even when he was coaching in Elite league. Couple of players wanted a trade in the middle of the season and got it. Everyone in Finnish Hockey administration or what ever you wanna call it, knew about his mental state and knew they were taking a risk. Basicly what he does is that he goes very, very personal when he's not satisfied with someone. When this happens even palyers mothers are not safe... and I know this for a fact because I know few guys who played in Finnish hockey team. Basicly what I heard happened after Germany game was that Summanen went too personal with Niinimaa and and threw waterbottles on players etc. When this goes on continously, on behalf of Janne, should anyone tolerate this? After all a player needs the support of his coach, not this s#%t he was given. I personally think it was a bold move from Janne to leave if he didn't feel he couldn't earn the respect of the coach and therefore perform at maximum level. After all it was the biggest tournament for a long time and this type of going-too-personal and for example marking players family -crap doesn't belong to professional hockey.

Furthermore, I believe the real mastermind between Team Finlands tactics is Mr. Westerlund. :teach:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad