so the players wanted linkage after all

Status
Not open for further replies.

likea

Jul 9, 2004
why isn't anyone talking about this aspect of the players last proposal

they wanted the their costs certain for this and next season, no matter how much money or fans the league loses

then when the league gains revenues and gets on solid footing they want to up the cap

7.Indexing of Tax Rates and Payroll Minimums & Maximums – All dollar amounts would be in place for 2004-05 (pro-rated) and 2005-06. Dollar levels for tax rates, payroll minimums & maximums for subsequent years either constant or increased by % change in greater of either hockey related revenues or only the gate receipts and broadcasting segments of hockey related revenues from the 2005-06 base year.

the NHLPA wanted linkage upward only when revenues grew.....

Luc Labelle

Lucius 895 Injuries
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2005
Winnipeg
Yes, both of these threads discuss the infamous clause #7. I first mentioned this clause in three other threads very early this morning. Noone had taken the time to delve into part 2 of Goodenow's letter to Bettman. I think everyone was spending too much speculating about whether there was hope for a season.

I was praying there wouldn't be a season this morning because I knew the only way there would have been is if Goodenow's underhanded clause found its way into any agreement. It is in the details that Goodenow is a master of creating runaway inflation. Bettman learned his lesson the last time and I applaud him for not falling for any of Goodenow's fake concessions that all sounded impressive on the surface but all were more inflationary in the details.

I watched the media coverage for 12 hours today. It is amazing how out of dozens of analysts and writers covering the lockout virtually none of them mentioned clause #7 and just kept whining about some non-existant difference of $2.5 million blowing out the season. As though the sides had agreed on or should agree on this middle ground. All the media kept saying the players offered a $49 million cap, but that was only going to be in effect until the end of the 2005-2006 season. The media dropped the ball on this one... the two sides were not even remotely close to a deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->